Jump to content
mspart

Gable Steveson not going to Worlds?

Recommended Posts

I just read this on TheMat but no explanation was given.  Is College Wrestling getting in the way?  Eggum has a world medal and you would think he would encourage Gable to get as much hardware as he can while he can.   Does anyone have an explanation of why Gable is not going to Oslo? 

mspart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, mspart said:

I just read this on TheMat but no explanation was given.  Is College Wrestling getting in the way?  Eggum has a world medal and you would think he would encourage Gable to get as much hardware as he can while he can.   Does anyone have an explanation of why Gable is not going to Oslo? 

mspart

Doesn't want to diminish his status and ability to earn right now. If he went and didn't win worlds it could take some of the heat off his win at the Olympics. He's white hot, everyone wants to sign him or get him to endorse their products. I would guess he's done wrestling unless he makes a deal to come back in 2024. He's cashing in while he can and I don't blame him for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the responses.  I figured he will win Worlds which is a big deal along with being Olympic Champion.  But I get what you are saying .

On a side note, what are the chances of a baby being named for a wrestling superstar to one day become an Olympic Champion in that same sport?  It is a crazy story for sure.

mspart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, mspart said:

Thank you for the responses.  I figured he will win Worlds which is a big deal along with being Olympic Champion.  But I get what you are saying .

On a side note, what are the chances of a baby being named for a wrestling superstar to one day become an Olympic Champion in that same sport?  It is a crazy story for sure.

mspart

1 out of 1?

I kid.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its a heartbreaking decision.

Its like if Picasso decided to be an accountant, or Einstein decided to be a shepherd.  The waste of talent is just jarring.

He has a chance to be the best US heavyweight ever, maybe best wrestler ever, but he's going to throw that all away to be... what, a *fake* wrestler at the WWE?  

If that's really his dream, far be it for me to say he shouldn't pursue it.  But I worry it is just the lure of cash.  I find it hard to believe a guy with Gable's competitiveness and drive will find satisfaction in pretending to compete, instead of actually competing.  If he goes the MMA route, he's got years of training to round out his game, and even then there's no assurance he'll make it big.  

I just hope its more a matter of temporary burnout and he wants a couple months off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BAC said:

Its a heartbreaking decision.

Its like if Picasso decided to be an accountant, or Einstein decided to be a shepherd.  The waste of talent is just jarring.

He has a chance to be the best US heavyweight ever, maybe best wrestler ever, but he's going to throw that all away to be... what, a *fake* wrestler at the WWE?  

If that's really his dream, far be it for me to say he shouldn't pursue it.  But I worry it is just the lure of cash.  I find it hard to believe a guy with Gable's competitiveness and drive will find satisfaction in pretending to compete, instead of actually competing.  If he goes the MMA route, he's got years of training to round out his game, and even then there's no assurance he'll make it big.  

I just hope its more a matter of temporary burnout and he wants a couple months off.

Does he have a chance to be the best heavyweight ever? Sure. But you realize how hard it would be to pass Bruce? He'd have to stay in the sport for at least 15 years to chase a legacy he clearly doesn't care about. Yes, it is disappointing to us wrestling fans, but he sees fame in fortune in his future and that's what he cares about. MMA and WWE are no guaranteed path to that dream, but he won't be anything more than a niche celebrity making a decent living if he were to stay in the real wrestling world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/17/2021 at 1:53 AM, BAC said:

  But I worry it is just the lure of cash.

Yo, folks have done a lot worse things for cash. I seem to recall something about Haliburton? Yeah, I do remember: a bunch of Leo Strauss trained geniuses from the University of Chicago soldout their country. Let's keep things in perspective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Lurker said:

Here we go again with the "waste of talent" and "what he wants to do with his life is judged based solely on what I want him to do with his life"

Yeesh...

Well it's just a fact that WWE is basically Jerry Springer, but with roided and oiled up people who dislike haircuts.  So yeah, nothing wrong with calling it stupid and pointing out how pointless it would be for an elite athlete to quit for that type of job.  But I don't agree with faulting Gable for wanting to take time off.  He has earned it, without a doubt. 

 

And this is a message board.  If you don't like reading opinions from people on topics that don't concern them, why lurk here? It's 99% of the content with the other 1% being 2050's encrypted threads.  I think twitter may be better.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

Yo, folks have done a lot worse things for cash. I seem to recall something about Haliburton? Yeah, I do remember: a bunch of Leo Strauss trained geniuses from the University of Chicago soldout their country. Let's keep things in perspective.

When I read the first sentence in this post, I thought it was going in a completely different direction.  But how dare you judge Gable if he decides to write think tank pieces about the need to implement regime change in Venezuela or Cuba.  It's his life and anybody who posts anything remotely critical or skeptical of any decision he may choose make is way out of line. In fact, those who post any type of criticism whatsoever on this board about anything needs to re-examine their priorities.

Edited by Billyhoyle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/16/2021 at 5:36 PM, TripNSweep said:

Doesn't want to diminish his status and ability to earn right now. If he went and didn't win worlds it could take some of the heat off his win at the Olympics. He's white hot, everyone wants to sign him or get him to endorse their products. I would guess he's done wrestling unless he makes a deal to come back in 2024. He's cashing in while he can and I don't blame him for it. 

I agree, but can’t he get $50k if he wins worlds?  I’d think the reward (the cash) would outweigh the risk of losing...even if he lost he’d still have Olympic Gold, and most non-wrestling fans probably wouldn’t even know he competed in Worlds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

Well it's just a fact that WWE is basically Jerry Springer, but with roided and oiled up people who dislike haircuts.  So yeah, nothing wrong with calling it stupid and pointing out how pointless it would be for an elite athlete to quit for that type of job.  But I don't agree with faulting Gable for wanting to take time off.  He has earned it, without a doubt. 

 

And this is a message board.  If you don't like reading opinions from people on topics that don't concern them, why lurk here? It's 99% of the content with the other 1% being 2050's encrypted threads.  I think twitter may be better.  

I love the, "it's a message board, if you don't like someone's opinion on something, you shouldn't write your opinion of it" line as well....

That's a good one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I agree, but can’t he get $50k if he wins worlds?  I’d think the reward (the cash) would outweigh the risk of losing...even if he lost he’d still have Olympic Gold, and most non-wrestling fans probably wouldn’t even know he competed in Worlds.

He already has 250k+ from winning good. His stock is higher than it could ever be right now. If he went back to wrestle at worlds and lost, that would hurt his momentum and also diminish his gold medal in the eyes of potential suitors like WWE. Sure they'd still want him but it would be for a lot less than what he could command now. To him 50k isn't worth risking a potential 7 figure payday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I agree, but can’t he get $50k if he wins worlds?  I’d think the reward (the cash) would outweigh the risk of losing...even if he lost he’d still have Olympic Gold, and most non-wrestling fans probably wouldn’t even know he competed in Worlds.

why would he care about $50k if he is worth $1M+ annually.  Do you think say the top golfers get too worried about missing an extra $50k at some tournament when considering their level of sponsorship and bigger picture annual earnings? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

He already has 250k+ from winning good. His stock is higher than it could ever be right now. If he went back to wrestle at worlds and lost, that would hurt his momentum and also diminish his gold medal in the eyes of potential suitors like WWE. Sure they'd still want him but it would be for a lot less than what he could command now. To him 50k isn't worth risking a potential 7 figure payday. 

 

8 minutes ago, ionel said:

why would he care about $50k if he is worth $1M+ annually.  Do you think say the top golfers get too worried about missing an extra $50k at some tournament when considering their level of sponsorship and bigger picture annual earnings? 

Again, part of my argument was that I don't think he would lose much if anything in terms of future value if he loses at Worlds since pretty much no one outside of the wrestling community care about the World Championships.   But if he won he could add "Olympic & World Champion" to his titles.

Gable may be worth $1M+ annually eventually, but is it really realistic that he'd get that right off the bat?  If so, then yeah I agree with skipping out on worlds.  But I'd tend to believe he won't be making that kind of money right away (so I don't think it's fair to compare to top golfers who are making multiple millions), and for a guy in college that hasn't made much money yet, $50k is certainly not chump change.   Especially when it's only like 6 weeks out and I'm sure he's still probably going to be training for whatever his next move is (which I think him skipping Worlds pretty much guarantees that it won't be wrestling for Minnesota).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Yeah I mean I know we like to see him as unbeatable, but how quickly y'all forget he was 1 second from losing.
Everyone who's said "he has nothing to gain by possibly losing this air of invincibility"
You're right!

You clearly didn't ask Frank Rizzo before posting this....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...