mspart

Gable Steveson not going to Worlds?

2 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Again, part of my argument was that I don't think he would lose much if anything in terms of future value if he loses at Worlds since pretty much no one outside of the wrestling community care about the World Championships.   But if he won he could add "Olympic & World Champion" to his titles.

Gable may be worth $1M+ annually eventually, but is it really realistic that he'd get that right off the bat?  If so, then yeah I agree with skipping out on worlds.  But I'd tend to believe he won't be making that kind of money right away (so I don't think it's fair to compare to top golfers who are making multiple millions), and for a guy in college that hasn't made much money yet, $50k is certainly not chump change.   Especially when it's only like 6 weeks out and I'm sure he's still probably going to be training for whatever his next move is (which I think him skipping Worlds pretty much guarantees that it won't be wrestling for Minnesota).

The way he won Olympic gold and past data on what gold can be worth combined with his personality and image, yes he is worth $1M+ if he goes after it now.  Wait a year and sponsors etc aren't gonna be so interested.

Do you think Mensah-Stock is worth anything now?  She already landed a $250k food truck gift, gold combined with personality & human interest story.

5 hours ago, Lurker said:

I love the, "it's a message board, if you don't like someone's opinion on something, you shouldn't write your opinion of it" line as well....

That's a good one.

You are the one telling people to not have an opinion. If your opinion is that WWE is great and Gable should leave the sport, that’s fine. Don’t be offended though if some of us think differently-no need to pull the “it’s his life, mind your own business line.” That could be said about any post in any thread. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

14 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

You are the one telling people to not have an opinion. If your opinion is that WWE is great and Gable should leave the sport, that’s fine. Don’t be offended though if some of us think differently-no need to pull the “it’s his life, mind your own business line.” That could be said about any post in any thread. 

everyone is more than welcome to any opinion they want...

but...

that comes with anyone else being more than welcome to tell them their opinion is silly...

put your big boy pants on...

1 hour ago, ionel said:

The way he won Olympic gold and past data on what gold can be worth combined with his personality and image, yes he is worth $1M+ if he goes after it now.  Wait a year and sponsors etc aren't gonna be so interested.

But you think him losing at Worlds would decrease that worth?  I personally don't.  And I'm not saying to wait a year.  I'm saying to wait 6 weeks.

Edited by 1032004

15 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

But you think him losing at Worlds would decrease that worth?  I personally don't.  And I'm not saying to wait a year.  I'm saying to wait 6 weeks.

No, I think he needs to take advantage of the value of the gold now, if he waits around fo 6 mo to a year he will miss out.  

20 minutes ago, ionel said:

No, I think he needs to take advantage of the value of the gold now, if he waits around fo 6 mo to a year he will miss out.  

Obviously my opinion doesn't matter for what he does but I'm not saying wait 6 months.  I'm saying wait 6 weeks.  And clearly he's likely still having conversations with the people that may be his future employer already so it's not like he'd even need to "wait" 6 weeks.

On 8/17/2021 at 7:35 AM, gowrestle said:

MMA & WWE are a tough way to make a living. There is a tragic downside in these professions. What ever direction Steveson goes, I hope it works out for him. 

True.  But making movies - which is where I think Gable will eventually end up, like The Rock and John Cena - is both a helluva lot safer and more lucrative.

10 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I agree, but can’t he get $50k if he wins worlds?  I’d think the reward (the cash) would outweigh the risk of losing...even if he lost he’d still have Olympic Gold, and most non-wrestling fans probably wouldn’t even know he competed in Worlds.

Nobody outside of wrestling cares. The problem is now that he's become such a big name, people would be paying attention if he wrestled and lost at worlds. I know a few people in the rasslin world and from what they told me, he's in line to vault straight to the top making 7 figures. If he wrestled and lost, that number changes dramatically. It's not worth chasing 50k if you somehow manage to lose and cost yourself 500k+. There's zero incentive to do that. He had everyone right where he wants them. Losing would diminish that greatly. I'm glad he's cashing in on his accomplishment and hope he has a great career as an athlete or entertainer. 

3 hours ago, ionel said:

That's exactly what happened to Angle.  Went from a huge WWF offer to league minimum because he waited on it

2 hours ago, Voice_of_the_Quakers said:

True.  But making movies - which is where I think Gable will eventually end up, like The Rock and John Cena - is both a helluva lot safer and more lucrative.

Why do you think Gable is going to be in movies? The Rock is the only person from WWE to really become a movie star.  John Cena does get a number of smaller roles once in a while too.

If he wants to act, he is probably better off just getting an agent and auditioning for roles.  Being in WWE is more likely to lead to serious long term health problems than an acting career. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

5 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

I didn’t say mind your business or you can’t have an opinion. I just made fun of your opinion, because…..it’s funny.  

12 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Why do you think Gable is going to be in movies? The Rock is the only person from WWE to really become a movie star.  John Cena does get a number of smaller roles once in a while too.

If he wants to act, he is probably better off just getting an agent and auditioning for roles.  Being in WWE is more likely to lead to serious long term health problems than an acting career. 

you should look outside your window everyone in awhile...

there are a bunch of pro wrestlers that are in movies...

only a few that i would consider blockbuster "movie stars" but cena definitely is now... bautista definitely is now...

and a ton of them in low end movies all the time, which, is still not a bad living as compared to amateur wrestling...

none of that is even the point...

if it is what he wants to do then he should go do it...

and this long term health problems BS is just old women's mewling...

not only is amateur wrestling extremely hard on the body, but, here is the real truth...

no one gets out of here alive...

not one person...

father time is undefeated...

now, go yell at some clouds...

36 minutes ago, LJB said:

you should look outside your window everyone in awhile...

there are a bunch of pro wrestlers that are in movies...

only a few that i would consider blockbuster "movie stars" but cena definitely is now... bautista definitely is now...

and a ton of them in low end movies all the time, which, is still not a bad living as compared to amateur wrestling...

none of that is even the point...

if it is what he wants to do then he should go do it...

and this long term health problems BS is just old women's mewling...

not only is amateur wrestling extremely hard on the body, but, here is the real truth...

no one gets out of here alive...

not one person...

father time is undefeated...

now, go yell at some clouds...

Is this a poem?

Long term, JB is better off financially than most of the people in WWE past/present.  Obviously there are some exceptions, and appearing in WWE as a guest is one thing...But if Gable actually wants to walk away from the sport and become a WWE wrestler, the odds are it will end up being a poor decision. He is not The Rock, John Cena, or Lesnar. He is a much better athlete than all 3, but they have more of what WWE values than Gable. There was a very similar discussion about Pico joining MMA 4 years ago.  Many here were sure he was on his way to fame and fortune..Well, that hasn't quite worked out.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

Is this a poem?

Long term, JB is better off financially than most of the people in WWE past/present.  Obviously there are some exceptions, and appearing in WWE as a guest is one thing...But if Gable actually wants to walk away from the sport and become a WWE wrestler, the odds are it will end up being a poor decision. He is not The Rock, John Cena, or Lesnar. He is a much better athlete than all 3, but they have more of what WWE values than Gable. There was a very similar discussion about Pico joining MMA 4 years ago.  Many here were sure he was on his way to fame and fortune..Well, that hasn't quite worked out.  

How did you feel about Gable’s chances at Olympic Gold 2 years ago?

2 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

Is this a poem?

Pico has done what he wanted…

which is a much better story than any sad sack on this silly BBS can say…

get over yourself…

11 minutes ago, LJB said:

Pico has done what he wanted…

which is a much better story than any sad sack on this silly BBS can say…

get over yourself…

In terms of Gable, it seems “what he wants” is to make as much money as possible.  Nothing wrong with that!

But even though obviously none of what we say matters, I don’t see the harm in debating on this  “silly bbs” what we think might be his best route to making as much money as possible.

13 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

In terms of Gable, it seems “what he wants” is to make as much money as possible.  Nothing wrong with that!

But even though obviously none of what we say matters, I don’t see the harm in debating on this  “silly bbs” what we think might be his best route to making as much money as possible.

No harm…

but…

fuk me with those who paint the picture through their own sorry lens…

go do something…

Forealdo…

If I didn't know better I'd think I was on a WWE forum, seeing how many supposed wrestling fans are cheerleading for Gable to choose the WWE or pretty much anything else over wrestling.  Seriously, why are some of you guys even here?  If you don't see wrestling as a worthy pursuit in and of itself, but only as a stepping stone to other, supposedly "bigger" things, like the WWE, or acting, or MMA, or anything that is apt to put more money in your pocket than wrestling, then you really ought not call yourself a wrestling fan.

And spare me the "don't tell him what to do" crap.  As billyhoyle said, almost all of the content on the board is opinions of what a wrestler should do:  go to Penn State, no go to Iowa, he should have taken top, he shouldn't have stalled, he should bump up a weight, I can't believe he transferred, go freestyle, no go Greco instead, fight through the injury...  Everyone has a different opinion, but when a generational talent comes along and his decision isn't where to wrestle or what style or weight, but whether to continue wrestling *at all* -- as opposed to following the almighty dollar -- you would think that the ONE place where people would defend wrestling would be the message boards of USA Wrestling.

Apparently not.  You guys are tripping over yourselves to get Gable out of a singlet before, heaven forbid, he loses salary leverage with the WWE.

No one is saying Gable ought not follow his dreams -- and if his dreams involve something other than wrestling, than so be it.  I'd never begrudge someone that.  But we don't know his dreams.  We do, however, know he has a passion and gift for wrestling.  When someone has a passion and a true gift for something, where they're not just in the top 5% or 1% but literally among the handful of the best in the world -- to the point that they can advance the techniques and boundaries of greatness -- you support that.  And when they face a monetary lure to do something else about which they are less passionate and less gifted (but pays more), the better advice is almost always to follow your passion and gift.  Are those extra dollars really going to buy you anything close to the life satisfaction you get from being the best in the world at your craft?

Gable is special.  In his first major senior international tournament, he just outscored on his feet, by something like 7 takedowns to 1, the two guys who collectively accounted for every single world and Olympic gold since 2014.  And he's only 21.  You'd think the fans of international wrestling would recognize what a revelation he is, and bend over backwards to make the case that wrestling, incredible and pure and gorgeous sport that it is, is worthy of his talents and passion -- even if it puts a few less dollars in his pocket.  But most of you guys can't show him the door fast enough, can you? 

No wonder wrestling is a dying sport.  Its own fan base is infiltrated by traitors.

Edited by BAC

1 hour ago, BAC said:

If I didn't know better I'd think I was on a WWE forum, seeing how many supposed wrestling fans are cheerleading for Gable to choose the WWE or pretty much anything else over wrestling.  Seriously, why are some of you guys even here?  If you don't see wrestling as a worthy pursuit in and of itself, but only as a stepping stone to other, supposedly "bigger" things, like the WWE, or acting, or MMA, or anything that is apt to put more money in your pocket than wrestling, then you really ought not call yourself a wrestling fan.

And spare me the "don't tell him what to do" crap.  As billyhoyle said, almost all of the content on the board is opinions of what a wrestler should do:  go to Penn State, no go to Iowa, he should have taken top, he shouldn't have stalled, he should bump up a weight, I can't believe he transferred, go freestyle, no go Greco instead, fight through the injury...  Everyone has a different opinion, but when a generational talent comes along and his decision isn't where to wrestle or what style or weight, but whether to continue wrestling *at all* -- as opposed to following the almighty dollar -- you would think that the ONE place where people would defend wrestling would be the message boards of USA Wrestling.

Apparently not.  You guys are tripping over yourselves to get Gable out of a singlet before, heaven forbid, he loses salary leverage with the WWE.

No one is saying Gable ought not follow his dreams -- and if his dreams involve something other than wrestling, than so be it.  I'd never begrudge someone that.  But we don't know his dreams.  We do, however, know he has a passion and gift for wrestling.  When someone has a passion and a true gift for something, where they're not just in the top 5% or 1% but literally among the handful of the best in the world -- to the point that they can advance the techniques and boundaries of greatness -- you support that.  And when they face a monetary lure to do something else about which they are less passionate and less gifted (but pays more), the better advice is almost always to follow your passion and gift.  Are those extra dollars really going to buy you anything close to the life satisfaction you get from being the best in the world at your craft?

Gable is special.  In his first major senior international tournament, he just outscored on his feet, by something like 7 takedowns to 1, the two guys who collectively accounted for every single world and Olympic gold since 2014.  And he's only 21.  You'd think the fans of international wrestling would recognize what a revelation he is, and bend over backwards to make the case that wrestling, incredible and pure and gorgeous sport that it is, is worthy of his talents and passion -- even if it puts a few less dollars in his pocket.  But most of you guys can't show him the door fast enough, can you? 

No wonder wrestling is a dying sport.  Its own fan base is infiltrated by traitors.

Unlike other countries, wrestlers chasing the Olympics in the USA aren't paid all that well. There's few opportunities to make a living unless you want to coach. The top guy or girl on the ladder still gets a stipend of like 25k a year. The next 2 get like 15 and 10 or something. You want guys like Steveson to not chase the money? Make it worth it. The minimum NFL salary is still more than the Living the Dream fund. Don't blame the fans who want to see our own be successful. Blame USA wrestling who pays their secretaries and support staff more than the athletes. You can't live too well on being a volunteer coach who gets an extra 10k a year by placing 2nd or 3rd at the trials. When you can't wrestle then what? Fortunately in our country we've had wrestlers who were able to turn that Olympic gold into something, besides just wrestling more. 

We're a sport who relies on fans to keep it going. The Living the Dream fund wouldn't exist if it wasn't for fans of wrestling. Most of the major clubs who sponsor wrestlers wouldn't exist if it wasn't for fans of the sport. We don't have TV deals, merchandise, etc like the big league sports and entertainment have. One popular WWE wrestlers merch probably sells more in a year than everything USA wrestling and the individual wrestlers themselves sell. 

Without fans and people who put their money where their mouth is, we'd be relegated to 3rd class status and watching heavily edited NCAA wrestling finals on tape delay at 2am.