IronChef

79kg WTT Looks Fun

As of 4:30 on 8/17 - registration is free until tomorrow evening and $100 after that, so a lot of entries have come in recently

Burroughs
Martinez
Dieringer
Wick
McFadden
H. Hidlay
Marsteller
Lujan
Gantt
Skatzka
McBryde
Lavallee
Perez
Ashworth
O'Malley
Downey (not a misprint, per his Twitter)

If Imar and Ringer are healed up and back in shape, that match could be worth the price of admission.

If Downey somehow shows up (doubtful) then he will either miss weight or blame his results on cutting weight. I have him solidly behind JB, Imar, Ringer, Hidlay, and Marstellar. It would also be fun to see him get into a scrap with Tommy Gant.

As a fan, I like the idea of Burroughs having to wrestle a whole tournament. In the last seven years, he has wrestled more than one American in non-exhibitions only in 2017.

2021 Dake
2020 none
2019 IMar
2018 IMar
2017 wrestled the US Open so 5 Americans
2016 Howe
2015 Dake

30 minutes ago, IronChef said:

As a fan, I like the idea of Burroughs having to wrestle a whole tournament. In the last seven years, he has wrestled more than one American in non-exhibitions only in 2017.

2021 Dake
2020 none
2019 IMar
2018 IMar
2016 Howe
2015 Dake

Well, he earned it.  That said, I agree.  Seeing him in action in several matches is going to be great.

Thanks for this thread IronChef ... this bracket is going to be awesome.  

57 minutes ago, IronChef said:

2021 Dake
2020 none
2019 IMar
2018 IMar
2016 Howe
2015 Dake

I believe that only reason he competed in the 2017 US Open was b/c he tanked in Rio.

2 hours ago, IronChef said:

2021 Dake
2020 none
2019 IMar
2018 IMar
2016 Howe
2015 Dake

Since 2014, JB competed in plenty of “whole tournaments” that other Americans could have entered, including Yasar Dogu (4x), the US Open (2x), Medved, Germany Grand Prix, Spain Grand Prix, Dan Kolov, and Matteo Pellicone.

JB also competed in a bunch of world and Olympic tournaments — which are tougher than WTTs and OTTs.

Finally, JB competed in plenty of “whole tournaments” before 2014.  If you think more Americans should have entered some of those tournaments, that’s on them.

Edited by Katie

I really wish I was seeing Mark Hall's name in there.  I just don't think he is an 86 and ever will be effectively.  I think the potential is there for him to be problems for everyone at 79.  

Dieringer is going to be a lot of strength for everyone here.  Him versus JB or Imar will be fantastic.

I don't see Downey making 79 but also assume he doesn't have $100 so he was between a rock and hard place and had to register.

19 minutes ago, Katie said:

Since 2014, JB competed in plenty of “whole tournaments” that other Americans could have entered, including Yasar Dogu (4x), the US Open (2x), Medved, Germany Grand Prix, Spain Grand Prix, Dan Kolov, and Matteo Pellicone.

JB also competed in a bunch of world and Olympic tournaments — which are tougher than WTTs and OTTs.

Finally, JB competed in plenty of “whole tournaments” before 2014.  If you think more Americans should have entered some of those tournaments, that’s on them.

Thanks for reminding us Katie.  And thanks for rushing to defend Burroughs over perceived slights.  I'm sure few of us knew that he has competed in many international tournaments.  IronChef clearly didn't know that.  I was wondering how Burroughs is said to have so many medals.  

23 minutes ago, Class said:

I don't see Downey making 79 but also assume he doesn't have $100 so he was between a rock and hard place and had to register.

"Hello, burn center? You're gonna need to send the meat wagon..."

14 minutes ago, nom said:

Thanks for reminding us Katie.  And thanks for rushing to defend Burroughs over perceived slights.  I'm sure few of us knew that he has competed in many international tournaments.  IronChef clearly didn't know that.  I was wondering how Burroughs is said to have so many medals.  

I’m sorry that you weren’t expecting wrestling discussion on a wrestling discussion forum. 

Edited by Katie

So what? Everything I said was true, and I'm glad we will get to see him in more domestic matches. There's no value judgment here. I'm just a wrestling fan who is glad we get to see one of the greats in action more than we usually do. I'm not saying he should have done anything different or that he doesn't wrestle enough. Take my post at face value.

1 hour ago, Katie said:

I am assuming there were other Americans in the US Open if he wrestled it twice as per Katie so one of you is mistaken but I agree watching him take on some of our other faves will be great to see.

1 hour ago, wrestlingphish said:

What year did JB lose to Marable?

2014...which was also the other year he was in the us open...iron chef started his list in 2015...so the call stands!

Edited by CJE64

No chance Nolf wrestles?   That would be a nice addition to an already great bracket.

Today is the free registration deadline. Guys can still get in and be seeded until September 6th; they just have to pay $100. After that, they can enter but won't be seeded. I hope he signs up.

11 hours ago, Class said:

When your mantra is "olympic champ or homeless" and you didn't make the team then you can't be a choosy beggar. 

Edited by bnwtwg

I told myself after 2017 I would never doubt Burroughs again, but man Ringer and Imar are a tall order. 

Edit: Just to clarify I know Burroughs has never lost to either of them. But man covid ate up a chunk of time.

Edit again: Forgot imar did take a match off Burroughs. Boy I butchered this post.

Edited by buckeyehomer

4 hours ago, buckeyehomer said:

I told myself after 2017 I would never doubt Burroughs again, but man Ringer and Imar are a tall order. 

Edit: Just to clarify I know Burroughs has never lost to either of them. But man covid ate up a chunk of time.

Edit again: Forgot imar did take a match off Burroughs. Boy I butchered this post.

IMart at 79kg today is not the same one that took a match from JB at 74kg.

IMart has since had serious shoulder surgery that has taken a very long time to heal, taken a coaching job which takes a lot of training time away, and gotten decked by Skatzka.

Edit#2: Skatzka actually was the one that got decked after being up 9-0.

Edited by nhs67
Added 74kg bit Edit#2 Corrected Skatzka bit