IronChef

79kg WTT Looks Fun

1 minute ago, Le duke said:

Kind of crazy to think that a guy who could have easily medaled at 86kg this year is just giving it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, but its kinda like Gable.  Moving on.  Has a business (right next to M2) and starting his new career.

Yeah, but its kinda like Gable.  Moving on.  Has a business (right next to M2) and starting his new career.

I know.

But Bo is special. Quite a few people thought Zahid was going breeze through to the final and give DT all he could handle, and maybe beat him, and then Bo spanks Zahid, both literally and figuratively.

11 minutes ago, Le duke said:

I know.

But Bo is special. Quite a few people thought Zahid was going breeze through to the final and give DT all he could handle, and maybe beat him, and then Bo spanks Zahid, both literally and figuratively.

Bo knows wrestling

10 hours ago, Le duke said:

I know.

It was a good match and competitive most of the way through.  Did anyone actually think Zahid was beating DT?  He had a recent loss to Burroughs.

5 hours ago, AHamilton said:

It was a good match and competitive most of the way through.  Did anyone actually think Zahid was beating DT?  He had a recent loss to Burroughs.

I mean fair but Burroughs also recently wrestled DT, and had him gassed at the end only losing 4-4.

27 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

I mean fair but Burroughs also recently wrestled DT, and had him gassed at the end only losing 4-4.

So basically you agree:  DT beat Burroughs, Burroughs beat Zahid.  Transitive property of wrestling.  I don't think anyone outside of Zahid's family thought Zahid was favored over DT.

Are we thinking Massa is going 79 as well?  He was listed at 74.

Also the two 97 gents up to 130 or down to 92?  I am absolutely looking forward to a potential match between Hidlay and Zillmer at 92.  It will be a comical height difference.

16 hours ago, AHamilton said:

So basically you agree:  DT beat Burroughs, Burroughs beat Zahid.  Transitive property of wrestling.  I don't think anyone outside of Zahid's family thought Zahid was favored over DT.

No, I don’t think he was favored.  But I do think the match is more interesting than the Bo Nickal who was clearly informed he was only to stand there looking like he wrestled.

46 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

No, I don’t think he was favored.  But I do think the match is more interesting than the Bo Nickal who was clearly informed he was only to stand there looking like he wrestled.

Your take on DT-Nickal is just wrong.  Nickal tried, and lost to the best wrestler on the planet who also happened to know every single thing about him and how to avoid those big moves.

12 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Your take on DT-Nickal is just wrong.  Nickal tried, and lost to the best wrestler on the planet who also happened to know every single thing about him and how to avoid those big moves.

When did Nickal attempt any big moves, or even any moves at all?  Maybe I need to rewatch but I felt like he was all stance and motion drill for the entirety.

2 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

When did Nickal attempt any big moves, or even any moves at all?  Maybe I need to rewatch but I felt like he was all stance and motion drill for the entirety.

So the guy who didn't render a point the entire tournament suddenly was going to let his training partner get in on a big move?

2 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

So the guy who didn't render a point the entire tournament suddenly was going to let his training partner get in on a big move?

I didn’t say he would.  I’m saying Nickal didn’t attempt any.  Big difference.  We agree DT is the best in the world.  We disagree on Nickal’s effort during the match.

DT not surrendering any points to people Nickal destroys also is pretty meaningless.

41 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

I didn’t say he would.  I’m saying Nickal didn’t attempt any.  Big difference.  We agree DT is the best in the world.  We disagree on Nickal’s effort during the match.

DT not surrendering any points to people Nickal destroys also is pretty meaningless.

DT blanked Dean as well.  A guy that beat Nickal a few months prior.  You aren't giving DT enough credit or you're giving Nickal too much. DT knew what positions to not get in to.  He didn't get in to them.  If the opportunity doesn't arise is Nickal supposed to attempt a flying squirrel from 40 feet away?

1 hour ago, Mokoma said:

Nickal attempted all of his moves in the Valencia and Taylor OTT matches only after he was trailing. His initial scores on Valencia were off of Valencia's attacks. 

My memories of Nickal are that the lion's share of his big moves are counters to poor shots from his opponent (the Sammy Brooks spladle pin came off a single leg attack by Brooks, the Myles Martin finals pin was also off of Martin's attack, for example). So if his opponent doesn't take a poor shot (see David Taylor) it really minimizes his chances for the big move.

In the second OTT final match against Taylor, Nickal took multiple shots after falling behind. Its just that every one of them was comprehensively stuffed. And when Taylor got to Nickal's legs it was so clean that there was no opportunity for Nickal to scramble into a big move. His sole big move against Valencia was when Valencia was behind and desperate. He takes a shot which leads to Nickal flipping him to his back in the ensuing scramble.

20 hours ago, Red95 said:

Updated registration list on the USAW site. Every weight is going to be a treat but 61 and 79 are just wild.

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2021/August/19/World-Team-Trials-entry-list-loaded-with-stars

Kinda bummed to see some of our top prospects missing from the list. RBY, Carr, Ferrari, Kerk come to mind. 

3 minutes ago, AZ_wrestling said:

Kinda bummed to see some of our top prospects missing from the list. RBY, Carr, Ferrari, Kerk come to mind. 

RBY is hurt, Carr is a natural 74, Ferrari is probably not interested in cutting before the season (John Smith is disappointed he won't cut year-round). Kerk is the only miss on this list without a valid reason. 

Honestly, the NCAA pool as a whole probably does not want to waste their limited free time first semester before they spend the rest of the year wrestling on a tourney where they have a very very very small shot.

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

RBY is hurt, Carr is a natural 74, Ferrari is probably not interested in cutting before the season (John Smith is disappointed he won't cut year-round). Kerk is the only miss on this list without a valid reason. 

Honestly, the NCAA pool as a whole probably does not want to waste their limited free time first semester before they spend the rest of the year wrestling on a tourney where they have a very very very small shot.

Kerk can register till when?

2 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Didn’t know about RBY. Darn.

With regard to Carr,  he’s wrestled 3 years in college at 157, or 3lbs more than 70kg. Lots of guys are wrestling outside of their “natural” weight class. I suspect his decision to not wrestle has little to do with 70kg, and more to do with what you touched on in your last paragraph. 

I’m not saying any of them should or shouldn’t. Just that I’m disappointed from a fan’s perspective they aren’t. I think Kerk and Carr have medal potential. 

There’s an OTT thread where people predicted the winner of each MFS weight.

There were a good number of people who said Zahid.

…then Bo spanks Zahid, both literally and figuratively.

That part made me LOL

But I would like to add that Bo isn’t more special than Gable or Cejudo or Cael or some others who decided to move on in their prime. I do agree it’s a stinks from a fan perspective though.

If I need to know anything about wrestling or sports, I ask@ShakaAloha because he knows more than me.

I think Burroughs is going to win 79 somewhat decisively. I actually think we will see a better version of him at this weight. He looked good wrestling Taylor at 86 despite being undersized. I’m thinking not cutting as hard may help him get back the edge he always with his explosiveness and being able still have an insane sprint at the end. Maybe wishful thinking since I’m a big fan of his, but it makes sense to me haha

I’ll pick 1. JB 2. Nolf 3. Ringer

If I need to know anything about wrestling or sports, I ask@ShakaAloha because he knows more than me.

On 8/20/2021 at 3:24 PM, Le duke said:

There’s an OTT thread where people predicted the winner of each MFS weight.

There were a good number of people who said Zahid.

And there was also a good number of people commenting on Nickal’s lack of effort during the finals match.  
Again, not saying he wins, he wish he would have tried more.  It felt like he was told he wasn’t allowed to win, and just don’t get DT hurt.