TexRef

Which programs need a coaching change?

10 minutes ago, boconnell said:

Sounds like that ASU team wasn't terrible.  I'd even venture to call them top 6.  It also sounds like the coaches of the teams that were beating them should have been focused on getting 3 AAs.

I just don’t think Eggum and crew haven’t really elevated anyone, if Hahn had gotten the job years ago I think they would be in hunt for a team trophy every year, they are in a pretty good recruiting location, a good school, big ten, and have national champs and national championship teams in the 2000s, them having a top 5 recruiting class should be business as usual, it shouldn’t be this huge surprise when top guys sign like the 2023 class, that alone shows how much they fallen off in the last 10-15 years.

14 minutes ago, boconnell said:

Sounds like that ASU team wasn't terrible.  I'd even venture to call them top 6.  It also sounds like the coaches of the teams that were beating them should have been focused on getting 3 AAs.

Yea well not every team has peak Robles and Jenkins 

The biggest issue as a whole has been Minnesota wrestling as a whole has been somewhat down the last several years. Look at how few Fargo Junior and Cadet AAs we have had in comparison to back in the day when we had guys like Nagel, LeVesseur and Nate Baker winning Fargo over future NCAA champions. 

We have missed on Mark Hall, Seth Gross(who developed crazy well in college), Brady Berge, Taylor Venz(developed well). As a whole though Minnesota as a state hasn’t had nearly that many top 25 recruits in the nation. When we were in the hunt every year we had sure fire recruits from Minnesota such as Luke Becker, Chad Erikson, Brad Pike, Owen Elzen, Jayson Ness, Dylan Ness, Zach Sanders.

We also had some under the radar guys who were multi sport athlete come in and develop big time like Tony Nelson, Kevin Steinhaus, Jason Davids, Troy Marr and Jacob Volkmann.

Most of all our out of state recruiting had huge hits like Schlatter Bros, Kish, Reiter, Dardanes Bros, Schiller, Storely, Hahn, Lawrence Bros, Lowney, Hartung, Eggum, Vega, the list goes on and on.

Recruiting hasn’t been the best, most of all look at how swole the guys used to be. We need to get on the weights like we used to bewhen Marty was around.

Minnesota’s young nucleus(8 of this years projected starters have at least three years of eligibility left, 9 depending on who goes at 133.)

125- Pat McKee 3 more years
133-Troy Spratley top 20 recruit Class of 2022
141-Aaron Nagao top 25 recruit-5 years
149-Michael Blockhus 3 more years, Chittum top 2 recruit 2023
157-Brayton Lee 3 more years
165-Andrew Sparks 5 more years. When Lee pinned him Sparks had just tore his ligament in his knee.
174-Jared Krattiger 3 more years
184-Isaiah Salazar top 30 recruit 5 more years, split starts with Webster last year and had nice wins.
197-Gavin Nelson top 5 recruit 2023, current starter Joles has 3 more years.
285-Bennett Tabor top 25 recruit and #1 heavyweight recruit in class of 2021

This doesn’t factor in Tagen Jamison, Vance Vombaur, Drew Roberts, Marco Polanco or Hunter Lyden who are all top 60ish recruits that will be fighting for lineups. Probably some others I am forgetting.

Also have some other high profile recruits showing interest in class of 2022 and 2023.

Also teams are evaluated on how they perform three days in March. Right or wrong we all know that. MN is a top ten program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, grappler6 said:

Minnesota’s young nucleus(8 of this years projected starters have at least three years of eligibility left, 9 depending on who goes at 133.)

165-Andrew Sparks 5 more years. When Lee pinned him Sparks had just tore his ligament in his knee.
184-Isaiah Salazar top 30 recruit 5 more years, split starts with Webster last year and had nice wins.

This doesn’t factor in Tagen Jamison, Vance Vombaur, Drew Roberts, Marco Polanco or Hunter Lyden who are all top 60ish recruits that will be fighting for lineups. Probably some others I am forgetting.

Also have some other high profile recruits showing interest in class of 2022 and 2023.

Also teams are evaluated on how they perform three days in March. Right or wrong we all know that. MN is a top ten program.

Without gable they are absolutely not a top ten team at ncaas or during the season....that lineup has 1 solid bet AA in Lee and we ll have to see which McKee shows up next year the backside monster or the guy who got stuck by Shawver from Rutgers and maybe Blockhus, I don’t see how they are near the top ten with gables final points and the bonus he gets along the way 

Without gable they are absolutely not a top ten team at ncaas or during the season....that lineup has 1 solid bet AA in Lee and we ll have to see which McKee shows up next year the backside monster or the guy who got stuck by Shawver from Rutgers and maybe Blockhus, I don’t see how they are near the top ten with gables final points and the bonus he gets along the way 

The fun part is we get to find out!

I also love how Gable is a non factor in discussing the state of MN’s staff and program. He succeeded at MN. Can also listen to the words of somebody much smarter than you or I.

f63acce7ecbec01bcfaf3edb2d9ff527.jpg

Also remove Gable’s 24.5 points from MN’s 7th place finish of 64 points and they finish in 11th place with 39.5 points, one point out of tenth. Safe to say the team is still near the top ten without Gable.

Yes ur correct though if every other guy on the roster fails to place or score points at nationals the Gophers will fail to place top ten. Seems like a safe assessment for every team in College.

1 hour ago, grappler6 said:

Nice rundown on Minny....love Sparks - He flew a little under the radar in high school until he dominated Valencia. If they can add ac couple more in the 22 and 23 class they will have a very solid roster. If they can stay healthy - keep everyone around - in 2 -3 years they will be back on the grid. This will be Eggum's chance. 

1 hour ago, Antitroll2828 said:

The Gophers were 7-2 last year with only losses to Neb. and Iowa and were around #7-10 all year in most of the rankings.  Eggum's first recruiting class since being named head coach (Steveson, Lee, McKee, etc.) are just hitting their stride.  Since then recruiting has been solid (except for maybe 2019), and most needs have been addressed.  Also, an outstanding practice facility has been built and an RTC has been developed with a full time coach.  Things are looking up in Gopher-land!

21 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Gable has been completely ignoring Eggum in the corner for years lol...

Eggum was in Gable's corner in Tokyo for all his matches, including the finals against Petriashvilli.  He went all the way over to Japan so that Gable could completely ignore him?

On 8/19/2021 at 8:12 AM, Idaho said:

Yep that is true...they brought in Hunter Cruz and Hayden Drury this year- 2 starters from FSU and a few good recruits like Lillie. Chamberlain is a great addition - going back home for him. What you speak of is true...and just when they get to this point with a good roster - some good returners they have run into some problems in the past. The year Taylor Lamont got hurt was a train wreck. They had a good lineup coming in that year and ended up with like 4-5 back ups starting and shuffling guys around and different weights. Grant Lamont was clear up at 157- it was disappointing. I hope this is the year where they can break through with a great finish.... however in the past this has been their potential and it has not ended up where they wanted. @go_rines12 is a pretty big UVU fan - he should chime in.  One thing I will say about them - they have the BEST school president of any program - she is at every match - front row - cheering wrestling. 

you hit it spot on. Ty Smith is also top 10 when he doesnt have a torn acl... almost teched micki philipi late 2020

On 8/19/2021 at 5:26 PM, Antitroll2828 said:

They were consistently one of the top teams in the country year in and year out, since Jrob left they haven’t come close to being a top 10 team, outside of maybe 3-4 guys there entire team has underachieved since Eggum took over...Outside of gable ( a generational talent), who has really improved and thrived under Eggum the last 7-8 years?

Lizak?  He was 28-15 as a true freshman under Robinson, then after a redshirt year was an NCAA finalist in I believe Eggum’s first year.

Don't know how Coach Eggum will do moving forward but this season will tell us if he can really put it together.  How are his Assistant coaches?

One top guy winning Olympic Gold is "one top guy winning Olympic Gold" - not a measure of the whole program. As far as Coaching goes - Cassar under Cael & Cunningham did prevail over a younger Steveson.

Utah Valley - wonder how they would have done if Cody Sanderson had stayed as Head Coach? He was doing a good job with a new program that could not enter the NCAA tournament. Then moved on to work in the family business with his brother.

With the newer transfer rules it may be harder for some programs to get better. A guy places high at NCAA's and moving to a new school/"Better" program is happening more often.

1 hour ago, Casper said:

Don't know how Coach Eggum will do moving forward but this season will tell us if he can really put it together.  How are his Assistant coaches?

One top guy winning Olympic Gold is "one top guy winning Olympic Gold" - not a measure of the whole program. As far as Coaching goes - Cassar under Cael & Cunningham did prevail over a younger Steveson.

Utah Valley - wonder how they would have done if Cody Sanderson had stayed as Head Coach? He was doing a good job with a new program that could not enter the NCAA tournament. Then moved on to work in the family business with his brother.

With the newer transfer rules it may be harder for some programs to get better. A guy places high at NCAA's and moving to a new school/"Better" program is happening more often.

Minnesota has seemed to fare OK in the transfer portal the last few years though:

Blockhus

Krattiger

Skatzka

Russell

Webster

may be missing some

On 8/18/2021 at 12:15 PM, jbai3_12 said:

I have a lot of respect for Mark Manning at Nebraska, but I would like to see Snyder take the reigns.  Pennsylvania recruiting pipeline, lots of energy, maybe Nebraska could crack that top 3!. 

Manning is doing a great job and when he does decide to step away from Nebraska as their leader,  Coach Synder would be a solid hire.  Big 10 you have loaded Penn State and Iowa.  So 3rd in conference would be huge. I think this year they can piece some things together and do top 5, possibly snag top 3

On 8/23/2021 at 8:28 AM, Casper said:

Dixie State if they get nod to go D1 could elevate higher than Utah Valley quickly. As a NCWA team for men they are landing some hammers and have Rulon on staff.

14 hours ago, Swayz said:

Dixie State if they get nod to go D1 could elevate higher than Utah Valley quickly. As a NCWA team for men they are landing some hammers and have Rulon on staff.

It is a great wrestling area and they would be able to draw the Utah and Nevada kids. I just don't see them moving away from the club model. 

On 9/5/2021 at 9:13 PM, Swayz said:

Rulon on staff - assuming he doesn't go hiking or biking or snowmobiling and gets lost.

He had a good career on the mat but is snakebit in his personal life.

Do you think he can do a good job coaching? Any actual track record we of success we can see?

I hope he does well as a good wrestling program with success would be good for Western US wrestling.

On 9/7/2021 at 7:19 AM, Casper said:

Rulon on staff - assuming he doesn't go hiking or biking or snowmobiling and gets lost.

Do you think he can do a good job coaching? Any actual track record we of success we can see?

I hope he does well as a good wrestling program with success would be good for Western US wrestling.

He did pretty well at Herriman high. Developed some hammers from nothing

Lizak?  He was 28-15 as a true freshman under Robinson, then after a redshirt year was an NCAA finalist in I believe Eggum’s first year.

I don’t believe Brett Pfarr was a ranked recruit and he did pretty well.

On 9/7/2021 at 8:19 AM, Casper said:

I think he has a great personality.  He has battled adversity,  but in society these days I think the student athlete is more aware of challenges and people not giving up. He provides a huge name recognition to a school.    I hope he does well.  I hope he can get weight back down as well.    One of the most disheartening things we see in our sport is when individuals we look up to fall hard.   His is a bit different than challenges of others,  but he is one of our "heroes"  of the sport.  I think we all want him to do very well.  I think the HC will be a big part in getting kids (great personality and huge recruiter).  I think Rulon will be a bonus in the area personna.