gallison

Mizzou World Junior Success

Proud to acknowledge the Mizzou program being so successful at Junior Worlds this past week (in Russia).  Three Mizzou wrestlers competed in the freestyle competition; Colton Hawks, Keegan O'Toole and Rocky Elam.  All three wrestlers will be true sophomores next season. 

Colton Hawks wrestled well, but won 1 and lost 1.  Both O'Toole and Elam won Gold sweeping their brackets.   

O'Toole was behind on points in the final minute of his quarter and semi final matches.   He won both those matches with cradles/pins giving credit to his extensive folk style training in the US.  It is rumored that his opponents are now researching "what is a cradle" after losing to O'Toole.

These accomplishments are further evidence of the hard work, great coaching, talented wrestlers and great recruiting going on at Mizzou.  I look forward to another successful season coming up soon!

22 minutes ago, gallison said:

Proud to acknowledge the Mizzou program being so successful at Junior Worlds this past week (in Russia).  Three Mizzou wrestlers competed in the freestyle competition; Colton Hawks, Keegan O'Toole and Rocky Elam.  All three wrestlers will be true sophomores next season. 

Colton Hawks wrestled well, but won 1 and lost 1.  Both O'Toole and Elam won Gold sweeping their brackets.   

All 3 will have 4 years of eligibility left as well.  Hopefully Hawks will be able to get into the lineup next year.  Jeremiah Kent is no slouch 

40 minutes ago, gallison said:

O'Toole was behind on points in the final minute of his quarter and semi final matches.   He won both those matches with cradles/pins giving credit to his extensive folk style training in the US.  It is rumored that his opponents are now researching "what is a cradle" after losing to O'Toole.

These accomplishments are further evidence of the hard work, great coaching, talented wrestlers and great recruiting going on at Mizzou.  I look forward to another successful season coming up soon!

The "what the hell just happened?" look on O'Toole's opponents faces was priceless.

Two junior world champs from the same university in one year.  When was the last time this was done?  Impossible to not be impressed with that result and have to imagine both O'toole and Elam making runs at NCAA titles soon (just need some of these 6th year seniors to move on).  I'm assuming Ferraari lifts his way up to HWT. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

5 hours ago, MizzouGrad said:

We will win the National Championship in 2024. 

It would be great to see for sure.... they are going to need another good class.  Where will the weak spots be in 2024 based on the current roster? 

11 minutes ago, Idaho said:

It would be great to see for sure.... they are going to need another good class.  Where will the weak spots be in 2024 based on the current roster? 

Here’s my projected lineup 

125 - Surtin

133 - Seltzer

141- Edmonds

149- Mauller

157 - Jacques

165 - O’toole

174 - Mocco

184 - Kent or Hawks

197 - Elam

285 - Elam

If this holds, likely 125/133 will be a touch soft, but Seltzer is a mega talent. This team should have a minimum of 5 AAs and 3 national title threats in 149/ 165/197

O’Toole and Mocco alone should rack up about 4-5 pins between themselves. 

14 hours ago, MizzouGrad said:

125 - Surtin

133 - Seltzer

141- Edmonds

149- Mauller

157 - Jacques

165 - O’toole

174 - Mocco

184 - Kent or Hawks

197 - Elam

285 - Elam

If this holds, likely 125/133 will be a touch soft, but Seltzer is a mega talent. This team should have a minimum of 5 AAs and 3 national title threats in 149/ 165/197

MU has a deep roster.  They have a legitimate shot at 10 AA's. 

On 8/18/2021 at 8:21 PM, MizzouGrad said:

125 - Surtin

133 - Seltzer

141- Edmonds

149- Mauller

157 - Jacques

165 - O’toole

174 - Mocco

184 - Kent or Hawks

197 - Elam

285 - Elam

Allan Hart at 141

On 8/18/2021 at 8:21 PM, MizzouGrad said:

125 - Surtin

133 - Seltzer

141- Edmonds

149- Mauller

157 - Jacques

165 - O’toole

174 - Mocco

184 - Kent or Hawks

197 - Elam

285 - Elam

For that to happen in 2024 Mauller and Jacques would have to redshirt one of the next two years.

15 hours ago, Wrestle81 said:

I think Smith is one of the top coaches in D1 wrestling....

I remember how bad Missouri was before he arrived

MU was fairly solid during most of the 80's and early to mid 90's.   The Tigers finished 10th in 1984, to go along with several top 20 finishes during that time period. 

3 hours ago, killdozer said:

For that to happen in 2024 Mauller and Jacques would have to redshirt one of the next two years.

Ben Askren stated on FRL that both will RS to form the best possible team in 2024, according to a conversation he had with Coach Smith.  

On 8/20/2021 at 8:31 AM, killdozer said:

Covid3 yr, everyone gets another free year. 

Yes Iowa's entire lineup will all be over 30 but that's the way it is.  

22 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Kemerererer will be 43 this year.

like I said all over 30 ... 43 is over 30.  ;)

BTW: under the new Biden rules can you be on scholarship, Fed student loan and Social Security at the same time?  asking for an Iowa coach  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by ionel