NJDan

Rocky Elam v. Kyle Snyder

5 minutes ago, Le duke said:

No. No. No.

Was this a joke?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a joke. Kyle won a senior world title a year after taking bronze at junior worlds. So why is it crazy to think a gold medalist at junior worlds could be on the top tier of seniors a year later? You are, of course, free to answer 'no.'

Not a joke. Kyle won a senior world title a year after taking bronze at junior worlds. So why is it crazy to think a gold medalist at junior worlds could be on the top tier of seniors a year later? You are, of course, free to answer 'no.'

Let’s put this in perspective.

Braxton Amos got teched by Kollin Moore at OTTs.

Kollin Moore got wrecked by Snyder, 10-0, 5-1.

Kollin Moore regularly got hammered by Bo Nickal. Who got handled relatively easily by DT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, ThorsteinV said:

How about Gable vs Snyder? Am I wrong to think Gable manhandles him?

I don’t think Gable manhandles him, but I’m sure Gable beats him in the room. Even 5 years ago, Gable was giving Kyle a match. 

I will offer a more friendly answer to Mr Dan.  Rocky has no chance now, but winning Junior Worlds is a sign that in two or three years he’ll be a contender. A huge fraction of our Jr World champs eventually win an NCAA title. If NCAA champs who make a world team, many have medaled in Jr Worlds. Winning Jrs shows you have the potential. It doesn’t always pan out but it’s a good indicator.

Specifically winning gold vs me medalling has a lot to do with who’s competing. Sometimes the best people under twenty aren’t there. Sadulaev never wrestled Jrs, went straight from cadets to seniors. Meanwhile even winning doesn’t mean winning again: both Gable and Snyder won junior worlds one year and did not repeat. Gable didn’t medal the next time and Snyder took bronze (?).

But look at Zare from Iran who got pinned a few years back by Parris in the Jr World finals and just won a bronze in Tokyo.

Lastly on Gable, when he was Jr ageCoon and Gwiz were both dominating him. It takes time but I think it’s legit to ask if Elam is a contender few years out. That said he only managed fifth in NCAAs last year.

Edited by BigTimeFan

2 hours ago, ThorsteinV said:

Gable beats him about as bad as he beats gwiz 

4 hours ago, Housebuye said:

I don’t think Gable manhandles him, but I’m sure Gable beats him in the room. Even 5 years ago, Gable was giving Kyle a match. 

When Snyder trained with Taha, he looked like he was being handled, at least for the two minutes I saw.  Even had to take a break to tie his shoelaces!

5 hours ago, ThorsteinV said:

This is actually a match I would love to see...a bulked up Kyle vs Gable. Gable's quickness makes him a slight favorite IMO but it would be closer than ppl would think.

Edited by DocBZ

Short of it...

Elam vs. Snyder:  Snyder, by tech.  There are levels, and this is one weight class where there is a King (Sadulaev), the former king/would-be king (Snyder), and then the rest of the field.  Elam is in the rest of the field.

Amos vs. Snyder:  Snyder, by tech.  Same comment.  Makes it more competitive, but Amos can't get by Moore in the first place, and Snyder is Moore's big brother.

Gable vs. Snyder:  I have Gable, possibly by tech.  Gable is like a bigger version of Snyder, with just as much, and potentially more, "acrobatic speed".  These acrobatics and size make this a difficult matchup for Snyder. 

Gable vs. Sadulaev:  Gable again.  I think Sad keeps it close for the first period, but the 2nd period becomes Gable's.