Jimmy Cinnabon

Nickal opens MMA gym right next to Taylor's gym

Bo Nickal's America Top Team Happy Valley is opening right next to David Taylor's M2 training facility.  Guess Bo is heading straight for MMA but this offers a compelling "one stop shop" for wrestling/MMA training.  Wonder if we'll see hybrid facilities like this open up in more wrestling hotbeds.

Bo has funds!!!  Good for him.

I do wonder about the geographic location for this.  Seems like a denser area could draw on more potential clients.  Seems like there is good confidence that higher level folks will be willing to move there.  Fair?  

47 minutes ago, nom said:

I do wonder about the geographic location for this.  Seems like a denser area could draw on more potential clients.  Seems like there is good confidence that higher level folks will be willing to move there.  Fair?  

I think it’s more about it being a recruiting tool for PSU (edit: and NLWC), which will likely provide Nickal’s gym with plenty of athletes.

Edited by 1032004

7 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

Nice looking gym. Kinda strange to have dollamur sponsor/mat one floor and resilite sponsor/mat the other floor. I guess you can decide what you like better. Good for Bo man. Congrats!

Some say Dollamur mats are harder than Resilite.   Makes me wonder if the harder Dollamur mat is preferred for MMA/jiu jitsu.  

17 hours ago, stp said:

Some say Dollamur mats are harder than Resilite.   Makes me wonder if the harder Dollamur mat is preferred for MMA/jiu jitsu.  

No question they are harder esp if they are both new. I’ve often wondered if there are more injuries since the advent of that new type of mat. 

I wrestled during the transition from the old mats to Resilite mats. Most schools still had those mats from hell till the late '60s. The richer schools got them a bit earlier. I saw Resilite mats demonstrated at the Haverford College Christmas Tournament in '59 or '60. Some guy climbed to the top of ladder and dropped an egg onto the mat. It didn't break. Those early Resilite mats really stunk, but they were a pleasure to wrestle on. It meant no mat burns and a lot less pain. 

It seems strategic to open near the best wrestling school in the country. Wrestlers do well (generally) in MMA and there will be a bunch of top level athletes looking for something to do after college.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I kinda get it. Means that many will need to pay out of pocket to go there and train right?  

Curious about the business model.  Is it like a gym with many paying people monthly fees?  

Or are there big sponsors / teams with big accounts, that pay for it all and if you are part of the team it is free?

10 hours ago, nom said:

I kinda get it. Means that many will need to pay out of pocket to go there and train right?  

Curious about the business model.  Is it like a gym with many paying people monthly fees?  

Or are there big sponsors / teams with big accounts, that pay for it all and if you are part of the team it is free?

It looks like it runs like a typical Jiu Jitsu gym where people pay a monthly membership and can take classes and such. Unless they go pro, I'm sure everyone will be paying out of pocket.

I'm curious, too, about how it works for the pros. No doubt ATT paid for the gym and Nickal likely gets his coaching/training paid for as well as a salary as a coach/trainer (listed as such on the website). But ATT probably gets a cut of any fight purse for their pros.

On 8/21/2021 at 9:04 AM, AnklePicker said:

Nice looking gym. Kinda strange to have dollamur sponsor/mat one floor and resilite sponsor/mat the other floor. I guess you can decide what you like better. Good for Bo man. Congrats!

I figure he got 2 sponsors......I thought  about that right away too.

10 minutes ago, Casper said:

Bo opens an MMA gym with no experience?

Business wise it doesn't sound like a smart move.

It doesn't seem to actually be his gym, based on the website, rather they are using his name as a coach/competitor to attract paying clientele. He could have some ownership stake, I guess, if he took out a loan or has some family money backing him, but it seems like he just convinced ATT to open a gym in Happy Valley instead of him having to move to one of their other locations.

It doesn't seem to actually be his gym, based on the website, rather they are using his name as a coach/competitor to attract paying clientele. He could have some ownership stake, I guess, if he took out a loan or has some family money backing him, but it seems like he just convinced ATT to open a gym in Happy Valley instead of him having to move to one of their other locations.

Is there a market for MMA in the State College area?

Do parents really want their kids participating in MMA?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, cjc007 said:

Is there a market for MMA in the State College area?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I don't, think people want their little Johnny or Suzy to get punched in the face, but they probably like the submission stuff. 

17 hours ago, cjc007 said:

Yes.

There so much that comes out of being involved in marital arts other than getting punched in the face.  And a large number of participants in these gyms will never compete.  They are there for the exercise and discipline.

Edited by Lurker

On 8/23/2021 at 8:32 AM, Crotalus said:

"Nickal is operator of the gym, which opened its doors in July and held a grand opening on Saturday."

https://www.statecollege.com/bo-nickal-partners-with-american-top-team-to-open-new-mma-gym-in-pleasant-gap/