treep2000

2021 Worlds: Taylor vs. Yazdani

7 hours ago, treep2000 said:

Isn't that Yazdanis nickname in Iran?  

It is indeed.

Still not sure for sure he will be there in Norway but that is official plan for now.

Edited by Uwwdoc

42 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

It is not.

i keep seeing and hearing this but 'Yazdani The Greatest' was started as a saying for Reza Yazdani, not Yazdani Charati. 

There have been many "greatest" knicknames in Iranian wrestling. Reza was called it to a degree, but they called him more the "leopard of juybar". If Hassan has a knickname it is very much this though.

10 hours ago, Katie said:

Pretty tough to beat a super high level opponent like Yazdani multiple times in a row. But I’m sure DT understands that, and won’t take anything for granted.

At any rate I like Yazdani.  He represents himself well on the mat. Respect. 

Did you see his implosion after his Oly-loss?

16 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Did you see his implosion after his Oly-loss?

Can you post it?

I did see the video clip of HYC walking back through the arena tunnels with his coach after the match. Looked like his coach tried to kiss him when the TV camera zoomed on them and Hassan sort of pushed him away. Was that the implosion you meant?

Each of the three matches has gotten closer in terms of outcome at least:  (1) pin to (2) 11-6 decision to (3) 4-3 decision (with last 20 second heroics).   

Might need to reverse that trend to secure a 4th straight win.

15 hours ago, Katie said:

Pretty tough to beat a super high level opponent like Yazdani multiple times in a row. But I’m sure DT understands that, and won’t take anything for granted.

At any rate I like Yazdani.  He represents himself well on the mat. Respect. 

That is all Taylor has done so far with Yazdani.

5 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

that's not true. 

Yazdani The Greatest was started for Reza back when Charati was like a Cadet.

i have a tshirt of it. 

That doesn't mean they don't also call Hasan that as well. I would defer to the Iranian fans. Maybe another one could come in and confirm?

5 hours ago, LifeintheRed said:

3-0 is not a rivalry, or a mistake. 

We have seen Dake surpass Burroughs despite prior domination. Similarly we have seen Taylor surpass Dake despite the same dominance.

Taylor is the favorite, but Yaz could definitely win. It’s also definitely a rivalry because they are the clear top two at the weight and both are Olympic champs.

2 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

sure. perhaps they do call him that. (idk - has anyone actually heard iranian fans call him that?)

but i promise you it started w/ Reza

Nick names are not official, and wrestlers could have more than one

The most common one I heard for Reza was the Leopard of Jooybar

The most common ones I hear for Hassan are The greatest or the king

10 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

that's not true. 

Yazdani The Greatest was started for Reza back when Charati was like a Cadet.

i have a tshirt of it. 

What part of what I said exactly ain't true?

i'm well aware of the 'Leopard' nickname.

but when you say 'to a degree' - that's not exactly accurate. i was in plenty of buildings where Reza was wrestling and the Iranians were calling chanting Yazdani the Greatest.

idk if it's a cultural thing (to pass along nicknames) but it 100% started w/ Reza. 

(edit to say - i don't recall a nickname in America ever being passed along. instead, americans just overuse the term GOAT)

Edited by Husker_Du

18 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

i'm well aware of the 'Leopard' nickname.

but when you say 'to a degree' - that's not exactly accurate. i was in plenty of buildings where Reza was wrestling and the Iranians were calling chanting Yazdani the Greatest.

idk if it's a cultural thing (to pass along nicknames) but it 100% started w/ Reza. 

(edit to say - i don't recall a nickname in America ever being passed along. instead, americans just overuse the term GOAT)

I love that you see no irony in telling Iranians what the Iranians do, and that the Iranians are wrong about Iranians.

iranians can be wrong, too. 

listen, i'll shut up about it. believe what you want. but Reza was "Yazdani The Greatest" before Charati, and that's a fact. i don't care who's Iranian or not lol. i don't care if it's Charati's dad.

i mean we talked about it on FRL all the time. 

Edited by Husker_Du