treep2000

2021 Worlds: Taylor vs. Yazdani

15 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

iranians can be wrong, too. 

listen, i'll shut up about it. believe what you want. but Reza was "Yazdani The Greatest" before Charati, and that's a fact. i don't care who's Iranian or not lol. i don't care if it's Charati's dad.

i mean we talked about it on FRL all the time. 

Oh, you talked about it on FRL. Well that changes everything.

ok bud. i saw it/heard it at several international events and so did many others. at Worlds in '13, '14 and at World Cups when Charati was a freakin Cadet.

we talked about it on FRL. i had tshirts made up.  it was a whole thing. on social media too.

uwwdoc said in a previous post that he knows Reza was called that.

not my fault you don't follow the sport enough to know. but keep going. 

Edited by Husker_Du

3 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

meh...idc. let em think what they want. 

but to go back a sec ... someone mentioned Yazdani melted down or imploded or something at the OLY after he lost. i didn't catch it. can someone elaborate?

As he was walking off he was kicking chairs and knocking things over. Coaches tried to console him to no avail. Not a lot was caught on camera, but Pyles talked about what he witnessed on FRL.

40 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

ok bud. i saw it/heard it at several international events and so did many others. at Worlds in '13, '14 and at World Cups when Charati was a freakin Cadet.

we talked about it on FRL. i had tshirts made up.  it was a whole thing. on social media too.

uwwdoc said in a previous post that he knows Reza was called that.

not my fault you don't follow the sport enough to know. but keep going. 

You are conveniently changing your argument rather than admitting that you were wrong. The original question was "Isn't that Yazdani's nickname in Iran?" To which Uwwdoc replied, "It is indeed." To which you replied, "It is not." You then included some irrelevant information about whether it was someone else's nickname first when the question of precedence was never on the table.

It is in fact Hassan Yazdanicharati's nickname in Iran according to The Tehran Times, a source I think we can both agree is a tad more definitive about what Yazdani is called in Iran than you.

https://www.tehrantimes.com/news/448557/My-plan-is-to-compete-at-the-2024-Olympic-Games-Hasan-Yazdani

I may know nothing about wrestling, but I do know reading comprehension.

4 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

You are conveniently changing your argument rather than admitting that you were wrong. The original question was "Isn't that Yazdani's nickname in Iran?" To which Uwwdoc replied, "It is indeed." To which you replied, "It is not." You then included some irrelevant information about whether it was someone else's nickname first when the question of precedence was never on the table.

It is in fact Hassan Yazdanicharati's nickname in Iran according to The Tehran Times, a source I think we can both agree is a tad more definitive about what Yazdani is called in Iran than you.

https://www.tehrantimes.com/news/448557/My-plan-is-to-compete-at-the-2024-Olympic-Games-Hasan-Yazdani

The resident blogger has doubled down…

he can’t go back now…

no matter what…

it’s cute…

29 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

you're right that i initially conflated the two. but i clarified in what was my 3rd response on the 1st page. as i said, they may well indeed call Charati that, but it was first applied to Reza.

frankly i find it weird they would call one guy that and then use it for another 4 or 5 years later, but that is apparently what they did.

Edited by Husker_Du

6 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

you're right that i initially conflated the two. but i clarified in what was my 3rd response on the 1st page. as i said, they may well indeed call Charati that, but it was first applied to Reza.

frankly i find it weird they would call one guy that and then use it for another 4 or 5 years later, but that is apparently what they did.

May well indeed? Come on, say it. Quit equivocating.

And its not that weird. Ray Robinson and Ray Leonard were both Sugar. Good, sweeping generality type nicknames get re-used all the time. Its only the highly specific that don't (who else are you going to call Larry Legend or Air Jordan?).

15 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

May well indeed? Come on, say it. Quit equivocating.

And its not that weird. Ray Robinson and Ray Leonard were both Sugar. Good, sweeping generality type nicknames get re-used all the time. Its only the highly specific that don't (who else are you going to call Larry Legend or Air Jordan?).

They were more like 30 years apart

I don’t particularly like the fact that CP brought up Yazdani’s outburst in the tunnel.

He’s a great wrestler. On the mat, he took his defeat better than a lot of others have. The guy poured his heart and soul into winning and came up just short. He had an emotional moment. Give the guy a break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol. i said they did. i said it twice! wtf else you want?

sugar ray leonard didn't fight until over a decade after sugar ray robinson retired.

#2) how often does that occur? great, you got one.

#3) i think it's odd they call Charati the greatest when they called Reza, who was on the SAME TEAM as him, the same name. and it doesn't really matter what you think about what i feel lol. 

Edited by Husker_Du

3 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

They were more like 30 years apart

Robinson's final bout was in 1965.

Leonard's first professional bout was in 1977.

Only a 12-year gap, but I get your point.

4 minutes ago, Le duke said:

I don’t particularly like the fact that CP brought up Yazdani’s outburst in the tunnel.

He’s a great wrestler. On the mat, he took his defeat better than a lot of others have. The guy poured his heart and soul into winning and came up just short. He had an emotional moment. Give the guy a break.

Agree.  But then, what does CP really know about competing at a high level?

Agree.  But then, what does CP really know about competing at a high level?

You’d think he’d have the basic humanity to just look away. Or, if he can’t, not comment on it on a podcast/show.

Similarly, the Sidakov stuff he keeps bringing up rubs me the wrong way.

31 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

i don't listen. what's the Sidakov stuff?

CP basically calls out JD as being un-America for suggesting peak Sidakov is better than peak Burroughs. 

August 11:  40:30 CP & JD fiercely debate peak Burroughs vs peak Sidakov

https://www.flowrestling.org/events/5011126-flowrestling-radio-live/videos?playing=7131602 

Edited by lu_alum

5 minutes ago, Le duke said:

I was referring to a more personal thing re: Sidakov. It’s tabloid material.

Agree about that.  Pretty lowball to keep bringing that up.

23 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

Assume you're talking about the wedding? 

Correct.  When the conversation switches to world P4P, CP suggests Taylor is better than Sidakov, partly because Sidakov has taken a loss in the past year - "and no excuses for heartbreak either."  at 57:30.  (along with a smug CP smirk)

Edited by lu_alum

2 hours ago, Le duke said:

Agreed. He was an absolute gentleman on the mat considering he went from gold medalist to silver in a painful 17 seconds, and he was equally class at the medal ceremony.

I think the pressure and expectation Hassan was under to bring home gold was absolutely immense in a way that most won't have felt, including other athletes like Taylor himself. Hassan is the star of Iranian wrestling in Iran, and had to an extent transcended the sport in that country from a star power point of view, the vast majority that support him are not massively knowledgeable about wrestling from a technical view point. There are a lot of "casuals". So we are talking of millions who expected almost without thought that Hassan would get revenge on Taylor, make it look easy and the gold medal was definitive. Also the fact that he was regarded as the favourite for gold in the entire Iran FS & GR team, he definitely felt a lot of pressure going into the mat, so for him to let gold slip with less than 20 seconds after spending the best part of 3 and a bit years trying to deliver for his nation then I will forgive him for screaming loudly and kicking a chair.

What is interesting to note is however is that if anything his popularity has gone up even further in Iran, there has been an outcry of sympathy and support and he received a heros welcome more than any of the 3 olympic gold medalists for Iran. Will this motivate him and put him at ease to be able to get 1 in the books against Taylor? Only time will tell.

Edited by Uwwdoc