BigTimeFan

World Team Trials Absentee, Wish List and Weight Class Curiosities

Here’s what I want to know. 

Where’s Zahid? Brooks? Kerk? David Carr? Ferrari? (Are they definitively not going? Will they register late?)

Why is Zain going 70kg?

Why is JO going 70kg?

Will any of our recent Jr World medalists be going? Can they? I’d especially love to see O’Toole and Elam? Really all of them  

1 hour ago, BigTimeFan said:

Here’s what I want to know. 

Where’s Zahid? Brooks? Kerk? David Carr? Ferrari? (Are they definitively not going? Will they register late?)

Why is Zain going 70kg?

Why is JO going 70kg?

Will any of our recent Jr World medalists be going? Can they? I’d especially love to see O’Toole and Elam? Really all of them  

A big time fan should know the answers.

Was thinking the same thing about some missing wrestlers.  Would also love to see kharchla and mekhi enter at 79kg.  

My assumptions are:

* Carr at 70kg is too small for his longer term aspirations so he would forego this time to ensure his body acclimates long term to his desired weight class.

* Zahid in a similar boat where 79kg is too small for his long term, and 92kg is too big.

* Brooks in similar boat as Zahid.

* Kerk is a mystery to me as well, unless he's still hurt somehow and wants to save himself for the ncaa season this go. 

* Ferarri ar 92kg may be too small for him now and the wakeup call he would get at 125kg may be too much.  Regardless, Amos will beat him at NCAAs this upcoming year so he should show and give it a go to know what he needs to work on. 

1 hour ago, treep2000 said:

Was thinking the same thing about some missing wrestlers.  Would also love to see kharchla and mekhi enter at 79kg.  

My assumptions are:

* Carr at 70kg is too small for his longer term aspirations so he would forego this time to ensure his body acclimates long term to his desired weight class.

* Zahid in a similar boat where 79kg is too small for his long term, and 92kg is too big.

* Kerk is a mystery to me as well, unless he's still hurt somehow and wants to save himself for the ncaa season this go. 

* Ferarri ar 92kg may be too small for him now and the wakeup call he would get at 125kg may be too much.  Regardless, Amos will beat him at NCAAs this upcoming year so he should show and give it a go to know what he needs to work on. 

If Carr wished to acclimate to 74kg(163lbs) wouldn't it make more sense to go 165 than 157?

I share the same thoughts on Focus.  I want to see him at 125, though.

Aaron Brooks at 92 is something I want to see still.  Hopefully he enteres.

Same with Zahid.

I want a healthy Kerk.  Badly.  I think a healthy Kerk and Parris give us two high level world contenders every year, even without Gable.

2 hours ago, LifeintheRed said:

LOL! To his defense, he doesn't actually specify what he is a BigTimeFan of. He just as well could be a fan of Tim Lincecum aka "Big Time Timmy Jim!"

Yeah. Look carefully at my avatar. Honestly. I’m just literally a big time fan. 

1 hour ago, treep2000 said:

My assumptions are:

I just don’t get Zahid. Competing you a weight is a good challenge. 79Kg on the other hand is the weight he competed at most of college. 

Carr and Mekhi are the future at 74, although I'm worried that Mekhi may never be the same after should reconstruction and stuck at the 79 tweener weight. So no sense in Carr sucking down or bumping up if he isn't 100% all in at this point.

Ferrari is a 97kg weighting to grow (see what I did there?!) but if he's going to stay the NCAA route then he is going to be stuck between a rock and a hard place. Only Snyder navigated the 285 route with championship pedigree. The wear & tear + injuries just aren't worth it, and neither is cutting ungodly Uncle John amounts of weight.

Can Amos make 92 and give it a run? That would be fun. Maybe he and Ferrari can meet up a time or twenty.

There's not a good weight for O'Toole with 74 not an option (not that he'd beat Dake, but I'd like to see him against the rest of the field). Even though he seems a small 165lb/75kg, 70kg is too big a cut for him prior to the college season and he's not nearly big enough for 79kg.

I don't see why Elam wouldn't give it a shot, unless he just wants to get some rest and recovery prior to the college season. Based on their post-gold interviews, the college semester starts tomorrow, so that probably is a factor.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Crotalus said:

There's not a good weight for O'Toole with 74 not an option (not that he'd beat Dake, but I'd like to see him against the rest of the field). Even though he seems a small 165lb/75kg, 70kg is too big a cut for him prior to the college season and he's not nearly big enough for 79kg.

I don't see why Elam wouldn't give it a shot, unless he just wants to get some rest and recovery prior to the college season. Based on their post-gold interviews, the college semester starts tomorrow, so that probably is a factor.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Brian Smith has already said he was going 70kg at WTT.  The kid weighed like 160lbs and wrestled 165 all of last year.  Askren is a dolt.  Too many knees to the face.

8 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Brian Smith has already said he was going 70kg at WTT.  The kid weighed like 160lbs and wrestled 165 all of last year.  Askren is a dolt.  Too many knees to the face.

Interesting. I figured he'd be making an attempt to fill out the weight, since there are no plans for him to go 157. Will be interesting to see how he fares against the likes of Retherford and JO.

51 minutes ago, Crotalus said:

Interesting. I figured he'd be making an attempt to fill out the weight, since there are no plans for him to go 157. Will be interesting to see how he fares against the likes of Retherford and JO.

He is like a mix of Nolf with his creativity and Askren with his funk.  The tanks who are fundamentally sound with their footwork and don't get out of place will be the guys he struggles with.

I think JO manhandles him.  I think with Zain there will be a couple scrambles... and we know what happens with scrambles for Zain...

1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

He is like a mix of Nolf with his creativity and Askren with his funk.  The tanks who are fundamentally sound with their footwork and don't get out of place will be the guys he struggles with.

I think JO manhandles him.  I think with Zain there will be a couple scrambles... and we know what happens with scrambles for Zain...

Fast stingy guys who finish clean can beat him. I think JO is a nightmare stylistic matchup for Otoole at this point in his career. I think a guy like Otoole will struggle more domestically than internationally in freestyle. 

I think him vs Zain would be fun. Panteleo seems like a tough matchup. Green to. I’d like to see him vs Deakin. 

Hope he ends up going. He has a bright future. He reminds me a bit of Yianni with his wrestling mind

Just now, Housebuye said:

Fast stingy guys who finish clean can beat him. I think JO is a nightmare stylistic matchup for Otoole at this point in his career. I think a guy like Otoole will struggle more domestically than internationally in freestyle. 

I think him vs Zain would be fun. Panteleo seems like a tough matchup. Green to. I’d like to see him vs Deakin. 

Hope he ends up going. He has a bright future. He reminds me a bit of Yianni with his wrestling mind

Your thoughts pretty much line up with mine.

While his coach said he was going 70kg and we all know he is a small 74/165 guy, he hasn't made 70(154-ish) in a while.

We will see. 

I also want(ed) to see him against Carr.

3 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Your thoughts pretty much line up with mine.

While his coach said he was going 70kg and we all know he is a small 74/165 guy, he hasn't made 70(154-ish) in a while.

We will see. 

I also want(ed) to see him against Carr.

I hope he goes 157 for folkstyle. I think he wins 157 (even with 2 champs at the weight). 165 I’m not as confident with Stanford staying down there

Found a few minutes, so here are my predictions and preliminary discussion, based on the current list of registrants at each weight, on themat.com (as of 8/23 ~12pm):

61kg:  An absolutely fantastic weight class to watch.  Arujau, Fix, Garrett, Gross, Graff, Richards, Nicky Pushups, NATO, and more!  Based on most recent results, I'm going with:

Suriano over Arujau

65kg:  Much smaller field here, but the names competing are FIRE!  This weight class will be anyone's best guess.  There are favorites, but we all know that 65kg is a meat grinder domestically, with much parity.  As such, going with: 

Mckenna over Yianni

70kg:  Another group of "names" that have many accolades domestically.  JO, Zain, Deakin, Pantaleo, Green.  I would have to think that it's a toss-up between these five at this point.  It amazes me that Deakin can still make 70kg.  Each time I see him, I feel he should be at 79kg or 86kg.  This may not be popular, but I'm going with:

Pantaleo over Oliver

79kg:  This weight class, along with 61kg, are the two that will be absolute joys to watch.  JB, Imart, Ringer, Nolf, just to name a few.  There are going to be landmines in this group too, with Wick, McFadden, Hidlay, Downey (if he makes weight), etc.  There will be surprises, and this prediction will be the most unpopular of all:

Dieringer over Burroughs

92kg:  I look at this weight class, and on paper, there is a clear favorite in Cox.  However, there are two on this list that I think will make it competitive, and Cox will have to work, VERY hard to ensure that he retains the helm at 92kg.  Jackson is one that could give him fits, along with Moore.  I am very much looking forward to, and hope to see, a Cox vs. Moore showdown.  So... calling my shot (and if I'm wrong, ok!): 

Moore over Cox

125kg: Based on the current registrant list, there are two clear favorites:  Gwiz and Parris.  Bradley could play a factor/upset special of course, but I think Gwiz and Parris are on a collision course to meet in the finals.  I think Gwiz gets his revenge on Parris from their most recent encounter.

Gwiazdowski over Parris

61:  Graff over Fix (but there's about 10 guys who could win this class and I wouldn't be shocked)

65: Yianni over McKenna

70: JO over Green

79: Dieringer over Burroughs

92: Cox over Moore

125: Gwiz over Bradley

2 hours ago, treep2000 said:

There will be surprises, and this prediction will be the most unpopular of all:

Dieringer over Burroughs

You are a brave person to pick against a very very angry Jordan Burroughs. I estimate folks are expecting a massive drop-off by JB and so this isn't as unpopular as you think. Don't count me among those people though - I think JB has a very good shot to leave Oslo with gold around his neck.