BigTimeFan

World Team Trials Absentee, Wish List and Weight Class Curiosities

70 is a good one. Oliver won't be way bigger than everyone, but maybe he'll be able to wrestle a little more with a smaller cut. I think Green may be on the downslope, but I'm not counting him out. Pantaleo has looked good lately and is one of the few guys who is at 70 on purpose. Deakin is big and has had some good wins, but maybe isn't always on his game when the stakes are highest. I think Zain at his best beats everyone, but he'll need to be very close to his best to win.

30 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

I think JB has a very good shot to leave Oslo with gold around his neck.

I agree entirely.  Whoever wins between Burroughs and Dieringer will medal is Oslo and may well win gold.

Edited by rpm002

51 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

61 Suriano over Gross

65 Yianni over McKenna

70 Retherford over Green

74 Massa over the scale

79 JB over Imar

92 Cox over Moore 

125 Parris over Gwiz

Either USAW pulled his registration or he did.  Of the 238 that were listed, he is the lone one no longer listed.

17 minutes ago, juniorvarsity said:

Why was Tyler Graff absent at the Olympic Team Trials? I never saw an actual statement from him or Reece over the last year?

He came out pretty early and said 65 was too big and 57 too small. 

He then threw his hat in the ring at 60kg for Greco and got ragdolled in his very first match via techfall 8-0 in 2:08 to Ryan Mango in his first match.  He won his 2nd match in the consis but then got blanked 6-0 in the following match to the 9 seed.

https://arena.flowrestling.org/event/2559d0af-3fa9-44cd-b7a8-91e454a30d7a

Thank you! I was not aware and clearly I do not pay much attention to Greco. You would think something like this occurring would bring attention to Greco. We never have any guys with freestyle resume(or any NCAA resume either for that matter), step into Greco. Greco needs people we know stepping on the mat. I did not see this covered anywhere and could not find an article on Flo mentioning it. 

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

He came out pretty early and said 65 was too big and 57 too small. 

He then threw his hat in the ring at 60kg for Greco and got ragdolled in his very first match via techfall 8-0 in 2:08 to Ryan Mango in his first match.  He won his 2nd match in the consis but then got blanked 6-0 in the following match to the 9 seed.

https://arena.flowrestling.org/event/2559d0af-3fa9-44cd-b7a8-91e454a30d7a

Chael didn’t know it, but his constant praise of Graff totally blew up his (dumb) theory about how to fix Greco by using D1 AAs. That definitely helps, but they also need to be good at Greco technically, which obviously takes years of training. 

big Graff fan. This isn’t meant to disparage him at all. 

On 8/24/2021 at 7:44 PM, nhs67 said:

No.  He beat our returning team member just a few months after going up from 79.  Power/size was not an issue.

You tried your hardest and I'm disappointed it didn't work.

On 8/23/2021 at 12:29 PM, treep2000 said:

Found a few minutes, so here are my predictions and preliminary discussion, based on the current list of registrants at each weight, on themat.com (as of 8/23 ~12pm):

61kg:  An absolutely fantastic weight class to watch.  Arujau, Fix, Garrett, Gross, Graff, Richards, Nicky Pushups, NATO, and more!  Based on most recent results, I'm going with:

Suriano over Arujau

65kg:  Much smaller field here, but the names competing are FIRE!  This weight class will be anyone's best guess.  There are favorites, but we all know that 65kg is a meat grinder domestically, with much parity.  As such, going with: 

Mckenna over Yianni

70kg:  Another group of "names" that have many accolades domestically.  JO, Zain, Deakin, Pantaleo, Green.  I would have to think that it's a toss-up between these five at this point.  It amazes me that Deakin can still make 70kg.  Each time I see him, I feel he should be at 79kg or 86kg.  This may not be popular, but I'm going with:

Pantaleo over Oliver

79kg:  This weight class, along with 61kg, are the two that will be absolute joys to watch.  JB, Imart, Ringer, Nolf, just to name a few.  There are going to be landmines in this group too, with Wick, McFadden, Hidlay, Downey (if he makes weight), etc.  There will be surprises, and this prediction will be the most unpopular of all:

Dieringer over Burroughs

92kg:  I look at this weight class, and on paper, there is a clear favorite in Cox.  However, there are two on this list that I think will make it competitive, and Cox will have to work, VERY hard to ensure that he retains the helm at 92kg.  Jackson is one that could give him fits, along with Moore.  I am very much looking forward to, and hope to see, a Cox vs. Moore showdown.  So... calling my shot (and if I'm wrong, ok!): 

Moore over Cox

125kg: Based on the current registrant list, there are two clear favorites:  Gwiz and Parris.  Bradley could play a factor/upset special of course, but I think Gwiz and Parris are on a collision course to meet in the finals.  I think Gwiz gets his revenge on Parris from their most recent encounter.

Gwiazdowski over Parris

If the rumors of Vito not participating are true, then I have Suriano over Fix.

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

Chael didn’t know it, but his constant praise of Graff totally blew up his (dumb) theory about how to fix Greco by using D1 AAs. That definitely helps, but they also need to be good at Greco technically, which obviously takes years of training. 

It did hurt his stance, but not severely.  Graff, while a multiple time D1 (2x-er), he never focused Greco immediately after college and as of the 2019 US Senior Nationals, he was already on the wrong side of 30.

If you take Gabe Dean fresh out of college and have him focus on Greco, like it was reported he was going to do, I believe he succeeds within a couple years at a very high level.

https://fivepointmove.com/usa-greco/gabe-dean-going-greco/

2 hours ago, juniorvarsity said:

Thank you! I was not aware and clearly I do not pay much attention to Greco. You would think something like this occurring would bring attention to Greco. We never have any guys with freestyle resume(or any NCAA resume either for that matter), step into Greco. Greco needs people we know stepping on the mat. I did not see this covered anywhere and could not find an article on Flo mentioning it. 

greco has had plenty of guys with stall fest resumes give it a shot...

almost to a man, they all got wrecked...

and that is senior level...

i could point out tons of examples in age group...

11 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

I mean, sort of.  I guess I would be charitable and assume the Chael meant D1 AAs that have upper-body attacks as a significant part of their arsenal, not D1 AAs that got there almost 100% through having great leg attacks (like Graff).

Didn't even see this thread but :

Folkstyle success doesnt equal Greco success is a narrative I'm very onboard for.

Also I heard the same on Zahid "never going to make 79kg again"

I'm sure the rest are weight issues.

Bigger picture, I wonder how many Olympians from other countries stay put/move

9 hours ago, LJB said:

greco has had plenty of guys with stall fest resumes give it a shot...

almost to a man, they all got wrecked...

and that is senior level...

i could point out tons of examples in age group...

Grabbing legs normal...

Find a new slant quickly please...

No one likes headbutts...

5/7/5 standard haiku for my pleasure and a gross misuse of an ellipses means for yours

10 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Grabbing legs normal...

Find a new slant quickly please...

No one likes headbutts...

5/7/5 standard haiku for my pleasure and a gross misuse of an ellipses means for yours

I wish you hadn't explained it... So many people would have been 'yaderp' confused.

On 8/26/2021 at 1:01 PM, nhs67 said:

It did hurt his stance, but not severely.  Graff, while a multiple time D1 (2x-er), he never focused Greco immediately after college and as of the 2019 US Senior Nationals, he was already on the wrong side of 30.

If you take Gabe Dean fresh out of college and have him focus on Greco, like it was reported he was going to do, I believe he succeeds within a couple years at a very high level.

https://fivepointmove.com/usa-greco/gabe-dean-going-greco/

I am in agreement with the greco guys that you cannot start your greco career fresh out of college and expect to make the team. Honestly, it is disrespectful to the greco guys to even think that. Where would Dean have even found resources to train greco? Not at Cornell