BigTimeFan

World Team Trials Absentee, Wish List and Weight Class Curiosities

On 8/26/2021 at 1:25 PM, LJB said:

greco has had plenty of guys with stall fest resumes give it a shot...

almost to a man, they all got wrecked...

and that is senior level...

i could point out tons of examples in age group...

Is this what happened to Gabe Dean? I thought it was really cool Dean was going Greco after college, then nothing really happened. Was Gabe getting worked by the senior Greco guys?

I'm not aware of any results, but I remember the announcement he was going Greco. In his come back for the Olympic year, he discussed quitting competition to get personal life in line and that he was just tired of competing, focused on coaching. 

I am going to guess that he didn't do well if he did give it a go. I don't recall any crowning achievements, but I could be wrong. Happy to be wrong here. 

1 hour ago, juniorvarsity said:

I am in agreement with the greco guys that you cannot start your greco career fresh out of college and expect to make the team. Honestly, it is disrespectful to the greco guys to even think that. Where would Dean have even found resources to train greco? Not at Cornell

Chavez and Berreyesa seemed to have found some resources.

1 hour ago, juniorvarsity said:

I am in agreement with the greco guys that you cannot start your greco career fresh out of college and expect to make the team. Honestly, it is disrespectful to the greco guys to even think that. Where would Dean have even found resources to train greco? Not at Cornell

He absolutely had resources at Cornell.  He wouldn't have been starting Greco after graduating.  He would have had five years to train it in the offseason, on and off.  I am okay being corrected here, but I don't think there is a D1 school that has a strong a Greco contingent as Cornell.

As far as why didn't the Deaner do Greco?  I think it had more to do with time than anything.  He got in to coaching and knew he wouldn't have the time for a full effort at Greco.  The guy is smart AF.  It would be easy for him to deduce that.

It may be true, but when our greco guys all seem to go 0-1 getting teched at every international comp, it's hard to not think there might be a couple guys out there that have better greco potential and never gave it a fair shot.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, Crotalus said:

It may be true, but when our greco guys all seem to go 0-1 getting teched at every international comp, it's hard to not think there might be a couple guys out there that have better greco potential and never gave it a fair shot.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

To be fair, there is usually at least one who manages to go  0-2

On 8/27/2021 at 9:09 PM, nhs67 said:

He absolutely had resources at Cornell.  He wouldn't have been starting Greco after graduating.  He would have had five years to train it in the offseason, on and off.  I am okay being corrected here, but I don't think there is a D1 school that has a strong a Greco contingent as 

This isn't necessarily a disagreement, but the University of Minnesota has turned out some senior level competition, through their ties to the Minnesota Storm club.   Pat Smith is the most recent example of a Gopher athlete who has represented the US internationally. 

35 minutes ago, Stl said:

Is it confirmed that Keegan O'Toole is going 70kg?

19 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

I don't see O'Tooles name listed on USA Wrestling entries list?

Per his coach following his Junior World Title, he said he would be there at 70kg for WTT.

I have posted it a few times throughout the forums here.

2 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Per his coach following his Junior World Title, he said he would be there at 70kg for WTT.

This makes me think that O'Toole might go 157 this season. Mizzou wants to make a push for 2024 NCAA's, which means Jacques and Mauller need to redshirt before then. If Jacques is redshirting this year, it makes sense that O'Toole wouldn't mind cutting down to 70kg. If you're trying to bulk up for 165, cutting down to 70kg isn't ideal. Carr or Deakin vs O'Toole would be great matchups.

15 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

O'Tooler going 70 keggers

This is going to be interesting. He’s so darn slick, amazing leg attacks, not easily rattled (was down 8-1 in the Jr World semis vs the Russian and came back to be up 9-8 and then pinned the guy). 

20 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Would love to see Keegan at 70kg but he's not registered yet. What makes it more interesting is Brock Mauller and Jarrett Jacques are both registered at 70kg.

16 minutes ago, Jon_Kozak said:

Would love to see Keegan at 70kg but he's not registered yet. What makes it more interesting is Brock Mauller and Jarrett Jacques are both registered at 70kg.

Is the page updating?  I haven't seen it update since the night registration closed.

HA!

Just checked it looks like it's been updated within the last few days:

Greco Roman    Greco-Roman    82 kg    Richard Carlson    Minnesota    Minnesota Storm    08/25/2021 09:36:13

Freestyle    Freestyle    79 kg    Joshua Shields    Arizona    Sunkist Kids Wrestling Club    08/26/2021 13:16:27

Women    Freestyle    65 kg    Kendall Bostelman    Ohio    Wyoming Seminary    08/28/2021 15:00:20

Freestyle    Freestyle    92 kg    Christopher Smith    Virginia    Southeast Regional Training Center, Inc    08/30/2021 10:40:48

Edited by nhs67
Read after HA!

1 hour ago, Jon_Kozak said:

Would love to see Keegan at 70kg but he's not registered yet. 

22 hours ago, nhs67 said:
22 hours ago, Mphillips said:

I don't see O'Tooles name listed on USA Wrestling entries list?

nhs67 has posted it a few times throughout the forums here... LOL