Katie

Is wrestling the most popular sport anywhere in the world?

The US has its hotbeds.  Lehigh Valley, etc.   But I have to assume that football and possibly one or more other sports are more popular even in those areas.  (I wouldn’t know first hand.)

Are there any international areas where wrestling is the number one sport?

The Caucasus? Parts or Iran, Mongolia, Turkey, Kyrgyzstan, or elsewhere?  Is wrestling even popular in Cuba, or is it just some sort of government initiative? 

Does anyone know?

Edited by Katie

The US has its hotbeds.  Lehigh Valley, etc.   But I have to assume that football and possibly one or more other sports are more popular even in those areas.  (I wouldn’t know first hand.)

Are there any international areas where wrestling is the number one sport?

The Caucasus? Parts or Iran, Mongolia, Turkey, Kyrgyzstan, or elsewhere?  Is wrestling even popular in Cuba, or is it just some sort of government initiative? 

Does anyone know?

You're correct, wrestling is definitely not the most popular sport in the Lehigh Valley.

It's probably not the most popular sport anywhere, but it's highly respected in most cultures.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Mongolia?

Mongolia has won all of its Olympic medals in only four sports, wrestling being one. It’s also relatively small by population, with only about 3.2 million people.  So it seems that wrestling could potentially be a popular sport there. I believe I’ve seen pictures of their own folk style of wrestling there, too.

Edited by Katie

5 minutes ago, Katie said:

Mongolia has won all of its Olympic medals in only four sports, wrestling being one. It’s also relatively small by population, with only about 3.2 million people.  So it seems that wrestling could potentially be a popular sport there. I believe I’ve seen pictures of their own folk style of wrestling there, too.

They do some belt wrestling and i think it is very popular.  

Interesting that every one of their medals is in a combat sport.

I would imagine it’s the most popular sport in the Dagestan region. Probably in regions of some other countries that have been mentioned. Not sure if it would be the most popular of an entire country? Mongolia may be the answer to that. It seems like there would be several where it is only second to soccer.

If I need to know anything about wrestling or sports, I ask@ShakaAloha because he knows more than me.

I suspect most of the Former Soviet Block countries (which include Eastern Europe) are/were setup to train people in what would show to be their best sport- not by the athletes choice necessarily. They started training in futbol at an early age to develop motor skills and then it was determined what sport fit them best. So I would still guess that futbol would be the most popular even if not the best from a country-wide skill standpoint. Everyone played.

Regionally agreed on Dagestan.  In terms of countries, I think Georgia, Azerbaijan, and Iran might be three where it is more popular per capita across the whole country than most other places.  And even still, soccer is always hard to beat out.  That seems to be among the most favorite sports in most places in the world.  Lehigh Valley where I lived for a number of years growing up - it was big enough to make it very exciting.  Then moved to Delaware and it felt like I was doing a niche sport that many people didn't know anything about.  

1 hour ago, dmm53 said:

According to this website at least, it's the most popular in these countries:  

http://chartsbin.com/view/33104

Bahrain Wrestling
Democratic Republic of the Congo Wrestling
Ecuador Wrestling
Lebanon Wrestling
Oman Wrestling
Trinidad and Tobago Wrestling

I'm skeptical of that source. Basketball beats out soccer in Italy and Spain? Soccer is much more culturally important  there imo. Croatia and Tennis doesn't seem right either. France should be N/A lol, it might even be basketball like their list by default but no sport is that big in France. Japan and soccer sounds weird. 

Ossetia and Dagestan for FS. For Greco,  probably some villages where its much too cold to play outdoor sports year round that have indoor wrestling mats. Don't feel confident going to country level for any place.  Turkey and Mongolia still  have culturally significant folk wrestling styles. Georgia and Iran might  have regional strongholds where wrestling rules. 

As far as I know, wrestling is not even close in any Continental European country or S/N America 

1 hour ago, dmm53 said:

According to this website at least, it's the most popular in these countries:  

http://chartsbin.com/view/33104

Bahrain Wrestling
Democratic Republic of the Congo Wrestling
Ecuador Wrestling
Lebanon Wrestling
Oman Wrestling
Trinidad and Tobago Wrestling

Huh? None of those countries are even good in wrestling. I am 90% certain that track is much bigger in T&T.

wrestling is the most popular sport in "Haryana" (near New Delhi) state in India. Most of the Indian wrestling stars such as - Sushil Kumar, Yogeshwar Dutt, Bajrang Punia, Deepka Punia, Amit Kumar - all are from "Haryana" state including famous "Phogat" sisters ( Geeta, Babita, Ritu, Vinesh) are from that state. All the kids by default learn and participate in kushti in training centers called as "Akhada"

Soccer is the default most popular sport in a vast majority of countries. Only a handful of exceptions and most are ex-British colonies. 

India - Cricket

New Zealand - Rugby Union

Australia - Australian Rules Football

South Africa - Rugby Union

USA - American Football

Canada - Hockey

Fiji - Rugby Union

6 hours ago, freestyle_fan said:

wrestling is the most popular sport in "Haryana" (near New Delhi) state in India. Most of the Indian wrestling stars such as - Sushil Kumar, Yogeshwar Dutt, Bajrang Punia, Deepka Punia, Amit Kumar - all are from "Haryana" state including famous "Phogat" sisters ( Geeta, Babita, Ritu, Vinesh) are from that state. All the kids by default learn and participate in kushti in training centers called as "Akhada"

No wonder they are getting so good. Love it

21 minutes ago, Silhouette94 said:

Definitely in North (probably South too) Ossetia and Dagestan.  

Although MMA might be becoming more popular in Dagestan?  Soccer is also big in Dagestan too.  

Judo and Sambo are popular too, but I think many start in wrestling and then migrate to other sports