Sign in to follow this  
Idaho

Pac-12 - Big 10 - ACC Alliance

Interesting to see what this looks like down the road. Looks like the commitment is within scheduling. The Pac-12 has been the most aggressive in the alliance. It appears that the outcome of this will be out of conference games being scheduled within these three conferences. If this comes to fruition it will be excellent for us Pac-12 fans to see many more duals with the Big 10 and ACC teams. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32076233/sources-acc-big-ten-pac-12-alliance-announcement-focus-common-values

3 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Interesting to see what this looks like down the road. Looks like the commitment is within scheduling. The Pac-12 has been the most aggressive in the alliance. It appears that the outcome of this will be out of conference games being scheduled within these three conferences. If this comes to fruition it will be excellent for us Pac-12 fans to see many more duals with the Big 10 and ACC teams. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32076233/sources-acc-big-ten-pac-12-alliance-announcement-focus-common-values

I don't think this has anything to do with wrestling or any other sport besides football. It's a weak attempt to blunt the power of the SEC.  

2 minutes ago, MizzouGrad said:

I don't think this has anything to do with wrestling or any other sport besides football. It's a weak attempt to blunt the power of the SEC.  

Nobody knows at this point what this will look like  -But we know for certain that the Pac12 is wanting to expand wrestling and there are currently 5 official invites out to schools. It would make sense if there is an alliance that it is across the board and not just 1 sport. With football schedules usually years out it will take a while for this to catch up to itself. We also know that the Big 12 is in trouble and it could get deeper. Time will tell. 

16 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Nobody knows at this point what this will look like  -But we know for certain that the Pac12 is wanting to expand wrestling and there are currently 5 official invites out to schools. It would make sense if there is an alliance that it is across the board and not just 1 sport. With football schedules usually years out it will take a while for this to catch up to itself. We also know that the Big 12 is in trouble and it could get deeper. Time will tell. 

Which five schools?

I believe it is also Washington State's goal to be D1 within the next four years as well, and obviously P12.

3 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Which five schools?

I believe it is also Washington State's goal to be D1 within the next four years as well, and obviously P12.

Washington State is D1 and they are in the Pac12.... Are you talking about them adding wrestling because I had not heard that. 

40 minutes ago, TexRef said:

Sarcasm? 

No

14 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Thanks for sharing - I hope this happens for their club team to become sanctioned sport- but as it says - it's a long road. Washington needs a D1 program - They have a lot of kids involved as a state and they do quite well on the national level. 

All 5 invites are teams currently in the Big 12.  No word (as far as I know) of who has accepted. 

2 hours ago, TexRef said:

Can we find some numbers of how many club teams have transitioned into a school supported D1 program? 

Not many.... But one thing that Washington does have is a pretty big support/fan base and they have the results and participation to justify a program. 

2 hours ago, Gantry said:

In terms of "prestige" for in-staters, is Washington or Washington State a bigger draw for prospective college students?

I am not sure it's a choice at this point since it's Washington State pushing it and not UW.   Two different sides of the state geographically and in many other ways. High school wrestling certainly  has an East vs West mentality. 

6 hours ago, MizzouGrad said:

From the update: The three leagues emphasized common values and unanimous support impacting key topics affecting college athletes and schools in all sports.

8 hours ago, Gantry said:

In terms of "prestige" for in-staters, is Washington or Washington State a bigger draw for prospective college students?

Would think University of Washington. Washington State is in the middle of nowhere (a little more than an hour outside Spokane), whereas Washington is in Seattle.

21 hours ago, potentiallydangerous said:

They said there are no signed contracts, just a gentlemen's agreement.  They apparently agreed to not  poach each other's teams. They paid lip service to preserving the B12 but by not including therm in this alliance, it says if the B12 fails, they could add teams from there.

What school(s) would the ACC or Big-10 want to poach from the Pac-12?

41 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

What school(s) would the ACC or Big-10 want to poach from the Pac-12?

Likewise what school(s) would the Pac12 want to poach from the b10 or ACC?   Well besides Maryland.  

14 hours ago, ionel said:

Likewise what school(s) would the Pac12 want to poach from the b10 or ACC?   Well besides Maryland.  

I don't think the Pac-12 is in any position to poach schools from the Big-10 or ACC.

Going the other way, I could see the Big-10 being interested in USC, Oregon, Stanford, UCLA, and Cal from the Pac-12.  Same for the ACC.

However, the alliance makes the most sense between the Big-10 and ACC imo, because they are a lot closer in geographic proximity and I could see the two conferences trying to poach schools from one another.

Edited by ShakaAloha

The Pac 12 is not adding any teams to it's conference as a whole- The teams in the conference are committed to the Pac-12. See article below.  It is simply an alliance between conferences for out of conferences games and other aspects. They are however looking to add teams to the wrestling conference and have invites out to  B12 teams.  Two separate matters. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32090530/pac-12-says-not-pursuing-plans-expansion

Just now, potentiallydangerous said:

West Virginia to ACC,I would guess. Big Ten maybe none, maybe Kansas, if they still want to expand the Big Ten Network, maybe Texas Tech.

Oops I misread your question. There were rumors USC, Colorado, Utah, but yeah it doesn't work from distance point of view.

19 hours ago, potentiallydangerous said:

Oops I misread your question. There were rumors USC, Colorado, Utah, but yeah it doesn't work from distance point of view.

I heard that the Big-10 was interested in Oregon and the California schools, mainly USC, from the Pac-12.  But it looks like that is off with the alliance.

On 8/26/2021 at 3:22 PM, nhs67 said:

Isn't the B1G easily the richest conference?

https://footballscoop.com/news/heres-how-much-each-power-5-conference-made-last-year

I know, I know... quoting my own crap.

Shows that for last year the B1G made the most, in football alone.  The SEC isn't making as much as them in basketball so the gap will widen a bit more.

That is a pretty big gap from B1G/SEC to the next conferences.  Tells me that IF they wanted they could pursue just about anyone anywhere, sans Notre Dame.