Sign in to follow this  
The Take Out

Iowa State And Kansas to the Big Ten

39 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Well... like... does Kansas have to start a wrestling program?

Or can we substitute Missouri as a replacement affiliate for them?

It is not and has never been a requirement that Big Ten schools have a wrestling team.

17 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

It is not and has never been a requirement that Big Ten schools have a wrestling team.

When they went through and added Nebraska/Maryland, one of the stipulations was that they offered the same NCAA sports/opportunities was it not, as well as adhering to the academic criteria that all other institutions did?  I know Nebraska has since fallen a bit academically, though.

Apologies for the run-on sentence.  I'm a medical doctor, per Bratke, not an English professor.

17 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

When they went through and added Nebraska/Maryland, one of the stipulations was that they offered the same NCAA sports/opportunities was it not, as well as adhering to the academic criteria that all other institutions did?  I know Nebraska has since fallen a bit academically, though.

Apologies for the run-on sentence.  I'm a medical doctor, per Bratke, not an English professor.

No, it was not. I doubt there are two schools in the Big Ten with the exact same sports offerings. 

11 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Even if it's not a requirement, seems like it might not be a bad idea for Kansas to start one.   Are there any D1 wrestling teams in Kansas?

They have a few lower division squads that are super successful.  No D1 though.

Well then next question: Do we think the B1G will allow more affiliate/associate members?  I am thinking Missouri for wrestling specifically.

They don't do what many other universities often do.  The only affiliate members are currently John Hopkins for M/W Lacrosse and Notre Dame for Men's Ice Hockey.

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

Well then next question: Do we think the B1G will allow more affiliate/associate members?  I am thinking Missouri for wrestling specifically.

They don't do what many other universities often do.  The only affiliate members are currently John Hopkins for M/W Lacrosse and Notre Dame for Men's Ice Hockey.

I don't see the Big Ten helping out any SEC members with affiliate/associate status even if wrestling fans would love it. 

the ACC-Pac12-Big10 alliance hits the pause button on any realignment between those 3 conferences. makes sense as they are all mostly peer institutions who's ADs have enough on their plate with covid. I could be wrong but I very much doubt we see any of the moves mentioned in the Wannstedt rumors. most likely is this was started by the remaining big 12 schools themselves or someone close to one or more of the schools leaking the news to Wannnstedt in an exercise in wishful thinking. 

I also don't think we'll see the B10 take on any affiliate members for wrestling. They have nothing to gain by doing so. 

What seems mostly likely at this point is the Big 12 continuing as is but potentially adding a couple schools (or more) and operating outside the Alliance + SEC and more on the level with the AAC. Look for there to be growing tension between the Alliance (hate calling it that and hope it doesn't stick) and the SEC with regards to NCAA rules and regulations going forward. 

Also the Big Ten will change the name of their conference to FortNite. That will definitely happen I am sure of it. 

1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

Ignorance?  You labeled me a doctor!  I must thank you, friend.  I owe you a debt of gratitude.

1. I didnt. 2. Are you gracious because you think I mistook you for intelligent? Haha Im sure that doesnt happen often so I get why your so excited.

1 minute ago, Drake_Mallard said:

1. I didnt. 2. Are you gracious because you think I mistook you for intelligent? Haha Im sure that doesnt happen often so I get why your so excited.

1. Yes you did.

44 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

I get Kansas, but why does the Big10 want ISU?

I would be surprised if they actually do want ISU. If they add 2 schools each school would need to lead to an add of ~$50 million in revenue otherwise the existing schools will have to take a pay cut and I don't see them taking a pay cut to bring in Iowa State.