Animal197

How long until...

One of the regional training centers chooses to sponsor/endorse a non-scholarship wrestler for NIL?

This could be a way to help out with the 9.9 scholarship limit.

My apologies if this is already happening and I am not aware.

How are they able to do this?  I was under the understanding that the athletes still cannot get paid directly for merely existing as an athlete/student at a school.  They must do things that are reasonable to attain their moneys?

38 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

How are they able to do this?  I was under the understanding that the athletes still cannot get paid directly for merely existing as an athlete/student at a school.  They must do things that are reasonable to attain their moneys?

Could RBY do an ad encouraging young wrestlers to check out the NLWC or M2 training center?

16 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

Could RBY do an ad encouraging young wrestlers to check out the NLWC or M2 training center?

Of course, but to be within reason?  They're going to give him 30k a year to do an add?  Tuition is approx 18k, room and board, 11k, books and other fees we can call at least 1k yeah?  So 30k for an add?

There are stipulations within each state, university, and the actual NIL rules they have to adhere to.  I am not a professional at discerning what these are, I just find it difficult to believe that ~30k or more would be something allowable under said rules and regulations.  Again, apologies for the run-on.  I am a medical doctor, per Bratke, not an English professor.

14 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Of course, but to be within reason?  They're going to give him 30k a year to do an add?  Tuition is approx 18k, room and board, 11k, books and other fees we can call at least 1k yeah?  So 30k for an add?

There are stipulations within each state, university, and the actual NIL rules they have to adhere to.  I am not a professional at discerning what these are, I just find it difficult to believe that ~30k or more would be something allowable under said rules and regulations.  Again, apologies for the run-on.  I am a medical doctor, per Bratke, not an English professor.

Where did this 30k number come from? 

5 hours ago, nhs67 said:

BYU had a company pay all of their football walk-ons the amount of tuition in a likeness deal.  They weren't allowed to pay for their school but they could pay them the equal cash amount and let the walk-ons spend it on whatever they want.

4 hours ago, wrestlingphish said:

Where did this 30k number come from? 

I googled Penn State University average tuition costs.  In-state is 18k, out of state is double that.  Average R&B is 11k and books are well over 1k, I just wanted to round down to get the nice round number of $30k.

28 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I googled Penn State University average tuition costs.  In-state is 18k, out of state is double that.  Average R&B is 11k and books are well over 1k, I just wanted to round down to get the nice round number of $30k.

Why would the NIL deal have to be for a full ride? I very much doubt many NIL deals are for the equivalent of a full ride. $500 here, $1000 there, and you are still helping fund their costs.  

The BYU football situation is what got me thinking about this. The RTCs are technically separate entities in some respect. I think this could be good for wrestling for the programs that are affiliated with well-funded RTCs, but it has me wondering what it could do to the sport as a whole.

38 minutes ago, Animal197 said:

The BYU football situation is what got me thinking about this. The RTCs are technically separate entities in some respect. I think this could be good for wrestling for the programs that are affiliated with well-funded RTCs, but it has me wondering what it could do to the sport as a whole.

RTCs…great for USA wrestling, bad for NCAA wrestling. 

1 hour ago, wrestlingphish said:

Why would the NIL deal have to be for a full ride? I very much doubt many NIL deals are for the equivalent of a full ride. $500 here, $1000 there, and you are still helping fund their costs.  

My apologies, they wouldn't have to.  From the OP I took it as they were asking when that was going to be the reality of the NIL situation.

14 hours ago, Animal197 said:

One of the regional training centers chooses to sponsor/endorse a non-scholarship wrestler ... ?

This could be a way to help out with the 9.9 scholarship limit.

My apologies if this is already happening and I am not aware.

You've never heard of Penn St and Carl?  ;_;

Here is the BYU deal

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/college/football/byu-football-deal-could-test-limits-of-new-nil-system/article_5f5a4d4a-54f8-513e-bee8-8fbc5849c697.html

To satisfy their contracts with Built, BYU football players must wear a decal with the company’s logo on their practice helmets and make at least one appearance at a company event.

Walk-ons are required to make two appearances and promote the company on social media.

The NIL is good for college athletes, unfortunately it will also keep separating the haves and the havenots even more.

2 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

I would think less of him because I hate those stupid races and all the other corny ones that have popped up. 

We are not compatible.

I have conquered 22 Tough Mudders in 6 states and completed all five different Spartan Races (yes including the Ultra).

It's a real kind of high.

1 hour ago, dman115 said:

Currious...why are RTC's "bad" for NCAA wrestling??

They create the haves and have nots. Easy for the premier programs to start an RTC. Not so easy for the little guys. And really how many RTCs can our country sustain?  How many senior level athletes are there even out there?  In the end they will create even less parity. 

6 minutes ago, AnklePicker said:

They create the haves and have nots. Easy for the premier programs to start an RTC. Not so easy for the little guys. And really how many RTCs can our country sustain?  How many senior level athletes are there even out there?  In the end they will create even less parity. 

Plus RTC's take away precious dollars from the athletics departments, and they really don't like that. 

40 minutes ago, AnklePicker said:

Interesting perspective...guess I look at it the other way, it creates many more opportunities and grows the sport.  The haves and the have nots will always exists.  Thus, why take something away from a team or RTC because they are more successful than another team?  Isn't that the whole point of competition...who is the best?  And if the "little guys" don't like being the "little guys" do something about it versus try and take something away from those that are successful...they got there for a reason.  And as for how many RCS's can our country sustain...again what does that have to do with NCAA wrestling?  It would be great if every college had one...would it not?