NJDan

Vito tests Positive

From Mike Grey's e-mail:

"On the freestyle side of things, the World Team Trials are coming up September 11th-12th and we will have a strong contingent, per usual. Unfortunately, Vito tested positive for Covid a few weeks out from the Trials so he will not be participating. Fortunately, he only experienced a few mild symptoms upon his diagnosis and is already on the mend."

I assume this means that Vito was not vaccinated (though it's not 100%) which is crazy for him and his teammates. 

I read recently that UVA and (I think) Ohio State are requiring all students to be vaccinated. Are other colleges following suit or are they at least requiring a vaccine for athletes?

1 minute ago, NJDan said:

From Mike Grey's e-mail:

"On the freestyle side of things, the World Team Trials are coming up September 11th-12th and we will have a strong contingent, per usual. Unfortunately, Vito tested positive for Covid a few weeks out from the Trials so he will not be participating. Fortunately, he only experienced a few mild symptoms upon his diagnosis and is already on the mend."

I assume this means that Vito was not vaccinated (though it's not 100%) which is crazy for him and his teammates. 

I read recently that UVA and (I think) Ohio State are requiring all students to be vaccinated. Are other colleges following suit or are they at least requiring a vaccine for athletes?

Doesn't necessarily mean he was not vaccinated. Vaccines are not 100% effective against infection. If a vaccine is 85% effective 15% of vaccinated people will still get infected.

2 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Doesn't necessarily mean he was not vaccinated. Vaccines are not 100% effective against infection. If a vaccine is 85% effective 15% of vaccinated people will still get infected.

The last part of your statement is dead wrong, (Not even 15% of unvaccinated people get Covid and the percentage for vaccinated in much less.) But it's true that a vaccinated person can get a "breakthrough" infection. I assume that Vito is not in that category: Grey would have said that Vito got infected despite being vaccinated. 

44 minutes ago, NJDan said:

From Mike Grey's e-mail:

Cornell announced the mandate a long time ago as have many others. Hundreds of colleges to require Covid vaccines for fall 2021 (cnbc.com)

5 hours ago, NJDan said:

Grey would have said that Vito got infected despite being vaccinated. 

Unless of course he had decided he’s not going to discuss athletes’ vaccination status on social media. 

Assuming, especially so strongly, can be a dangerous thing. 

Of course @NJDan likes to assume things and place some blame.  And of course he knows Cornell has mandated the vaccine.   And it is obvious that many with the vaccine have still come down with the virus and tested positives.  Why he is so thick and negative on many occasions is the real question.

All that said, I fully agree with asking why this prevents participation at trials.  Plenty of time to recover and no longer test positive or be contagious.  Perhaps it has severely interrupted his training and prep and they have decided it was now not worth it for him to go.  There may be other factors not revealed that in combo tip the scales (minor but real injury?).

Overall I’m sad to see the news.

6 hours ago, NJDan said:

From Mike Grey's e-mail:

Bad assumption.

22 minutes ago, nom said:

Of course @NJDan likes to assume things and place some blame.  And of course he knows Cornell has mandated the vaccine.   And it is obvious that many with the vaccine have still come down with the virus and tested positives.  Why he is so thick and negative on many occasions is the real question.

All that said, I fully agree with asking why this prevents participation at trials.  Plenty of time to recover and no longer test positive or be contagious.  Perhaps it has severely interrupted his training and prep and they have decided it was now not worth it for him to go.  There may be other factors not revealed that in combo tip the scales (minor but real injury?).

Of course, taking two weeks off from live wrestling a month or less from the WTT will have a major impact on training.  Maybe he was home on Long Island, and so can't travel back to Ithaca.

5 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

I don't understand why a positive test in August prevents him from competing weeks from now.  He should be long past contagious by then.  

That's what I was thinking......unless he won't be 100% by then.

7 hours ago, NJDan said:

The last part of your statement is dead wrong, (Not even 15% of unvaccinated people get Covid and the percentage for vaccinated in much less.) But it's true that a vaccinated person can get a "breakthrough" infection. I assume that Vito is not in that category: Grey would have said that Vito got infected despite being vaccinated. 

You are correct (thats what I get for posting late at night). But why do you insist on assuming the worst when there are obvious alternative explanations and the logic behind your assumption is so poor?

1 hour ago, nom said:

Everyone knows NJD is the East Coast version of Bronco.

You're one of the more sensible guys on here, so I assume you did too.

There I go.

That A word again.

Apologies.  

It seems like he has enough time. I am surprised. I can only speculate that Grey made the call on his own due to lack of training ahead of the tournament. A bad performance could hurt his seeding at domestic tournament in 2022. As we can see with the projected seedings at 61kg - no competing for a year does not hurt you in seeding.

8 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

I don't understand why a positive test in August prevents him from competing weeks from now.  He should be long past contagious by then.  

Assume it has to do with his ability to train and be fully prepared to compete at this level 

9 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

It’s a head scratcher. I’d think he should be allowed to show two negative PCR tests and roll. 

i'm sure he is "quarantined" for minimum 10-14 days...

if he is sick in about any capacity one month out then that will affect his training in prep for a ridiculous weight class...

no one is showing up at that weight and going to win the spot at anything less than real damn close to their best...

it is silly to not get why he is out...

this is not rocket science...

Perhaps he wasn't sure if he wanted to move up to 61kg?  I don't think he's ever competed at anything above 125lbs/57kg in the past 3 years... maybe he just wants to focus on that weight class?

41 minutes ago, LJB said:

if he is sick in about any capacity one month out then that will affect his training in prep for a ridiculous weight class...

no one is showing up at that weight and going to win the spot at anything less than real damn close to their best...

But it is health science.

You aren't necessarily quarantined that long if actually sick- only if a contact. 

This past season 3 of Lehigh's coaches had to quarantine. 2 from actually getting it and one from being a contact. The two sick got back several days sooner than the other.

I agree about the ability to workout- it's just that Grey didn't mention that as the reason.

29 minutes ago, rpm002 said:

Perhaps he wasn't sure if he wanted to move up to 61kg?  I don't think he's ever competed at anything above 125lbs/57kg in the past 3 years... maybe he just wants to focus on that weight class?

His first matches at Cornell (not quite three years ago) were at 133.

2 hours ago, LJB said:

Why can’t he have a bike/weights/treadmill installed in his apt to stay at weight/in shape. Plenty of high level athletes have to stay off the mat for a week in the month leading up to a competition due to injury. 

of course, I guess this depends on what the term mild symptoms means in his case, as you point out. It’s possible he is fairly sick, but not to a level requiring hospitalization.