NJDan

Vito tests Positive

1 hour ago, gimpeltf said:

But it is health science.

You aren't necessarily quarantined that long if actually sick- only if a contact. 

This past season 3 of Lehigh's coaches had to quarantine. 2 from actually getting it and one from being a contact. The two sick got back several days sooner than the other.

I agree about the ability to workout- it's just that Grey didn't mention that as the reason.

Vaccinated individuals at Lehigh are not required to quarantine from a close contact, so that solves that issue at least (given this was the past season, they didn’t have access at the time).

The longer quarantine time for a contact makes sense. The idea of quarantining the contact is to make sure the individual doesn’t come down with Covid. Quarantining the positive case is to wait for the individual to no longer be contagious. 

2 hours ago, BigTimeFan said:

It’s a head scratcher. I’d think he should be allowed to show two negative PCR tests and roll. 

In NY the rule is 10 day isolation. If no symptoms after 10 days, you are good to go. Negative tests have no bearing on the policy unless required by your employer but that would only be after the 10 days required by the state.

21 hours ago, NJDan said:

From Mike Grey's e-mail:

"On the freestyle side of things, the World Team Trials are coming up September 11th-12th and we will have a strong contingent, per usual. Unfortunately, Vito tested positive for Covid a few weeks out from the Trials so he will not be participating. Fortunately, he only experienced a few mild symptoms upon his diagnosis and is already on the mend."

I assume this means that Vito was not vaccinated (though it's not 100%) which is crazy for him and his teammates. 

I read recently that UVA and (I think) Ohio State are requiring all students to be vaccinated. Are other colleges following suit or are they at least requiring a vaccine for athletes?

It’s his business to get vaccinated or not!  Natural immunity > vaccine. 

Guy at work caught COVID last summer.

Pushed too hard, too soon. Overworked his heart and lungs; possible scarring. He’s gained 50lbs+ and can’t even walk anywhere without getting out of breath.

I assume the Cornell medical staff don’t want a world class athlete to suffer the same fate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Le duke said:

Guy at work caught COVID last summer.

Pushed too hard, too soon. Overworked his heart and lungs; possible scarring. He’s gained 50lbs+ and can’t even walk anywhere without getting out of breath.

I assume the Cornell medical staff don’t want a world class athlete to suffer the same fate.

Here we go with the one off scenarios.

My second uncles brother got a cold and is now in a wheel chair...mask up people...it's science

29 minutes ago, dman115 said:

Here we go with the one off scenarios.

My second uncles brother got a cold and is now in a wheel chair...mask up people...it's science

My second uncles brother got a cold and is now in a wheel chair too!

Did we just become best friends?

Lots of ppl wrong here about vaccine efficacy...

Here is a good breakdown in case you are interested

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/13/learning/what-does-95-effective-mean-teaching-the-math-of-vaccine-efficacy.html

FYI though you can definitely still get infected even with the vaccine especially past the 6 month mark. No vaccine is 100%. The yearly Influenza vaccine efficacy has been as low as 19% effective (2014-15 per CDC). Hospitalization can also happen fully vaccinated (we are seeing about a 20/80 split at my hospital vaccinated vs unvaccinated). Although that number is still likely skewed as older sicker people tend to be those that are more likely vaccinated and also more likely to be hospitalized. That's the reason why the the CDC has recommended the booster, protection definitely wanes over time as more variants emerge. This should not be a surprise to anyone though as we already knew this based on the influenza yearly variants and mutations that necessitate a yearly vaccination.

Edited by DocBZ

10 hours ago, Le duke said:

Not if he wants to attend a school with a mandatory vaccination policy.

No, it’s still his business what he chooses to do. You are correct if he chooses to attend Cornell, but his choice shouldn’t be message board material. 

On 8/26/2021 at 12:35 AM, NJDan said:

From Mike Grey's e-mail:

"On the freestyle side of things, the World Team Trials are coming up September 11th-12th and we will have a strong contingent, per usual. Unfortunately, Vito tested positive for Covid a few weeks out from the Trials so he will not be participating. Fortunately, he only experienced a few mild symptoms upon his diagnosis and is already on the mend."

I assume this means that Vito was not vaccinated (though it's not 100%) which is crazy for him and his teammates. 

I read recently that UVA and (I think) Ohio State are requiring all students to be vaccinated. Are other colleges following suit or are they at least requiring a vaccine for athletes?

A still-expanding group of U.S. colleges and universities say students must receive a COVID-19 vaccine before arriving on campus this fall. The first institutions to announce the mandate were private, with Cornell University and Duke University leading the way. More and more universities, private and public, follow suit. Over 700 colleges currently require COVID-19 vaccines.

https://www.bestcolleges.com/blog/list-of-colleges-that-require-covid-19-vaccine/

On 8/25/2021 at 9:35 PM, NJDan said:

From Mike Grey's e-mail:

HIPPA is not an animal originating from the African continent.

Well, this is tough news. I was looking forward to seeing him compete. I think that Vito has made some significant strides over the past year, and he certainly gave Gilman all he could handle at the Olympic trials. Vito might be a little undersized in comparison to some of the other guys at 61, but I think that he would be right in the mix of things. 

On 8/27/2021 at 8:45 AM, Scorenomore said:

No, it’s still his business what he chooses to do. You are correct if he chooses to attend Cornell, but his choice shouldn’t be message board material. 

See - that's where you are wrong. EVERYTHING is message board material. 

(Everyone has 2 cents to throw in, some is in better taste than others, but everything flies here... well, at least until the mods take it down.)

My 2 cents? Glad you asked - Hey Vito, get the jab and stay at Cornell.

19 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

See - that's where you are wrong. EVERYTHING is message board material. 

(Everyone has 2 cents to throw in, some is in better taste than others, but everything flies here... well, at least until the mods take it down.)

My 2 cents? Glad you asked - Hey Vito, get the jab and stay at Cornell.

Okay - you got me, what fun would life be if we limited message board material. 

Why would anyone assume Vito is not vaccinated.  Of course he is.  If he isn't, knowing that he needs to be, he would have already transferred from Cornell.  As for him not participating in WTT, on paper he can work out during his quarantine period, but did you ever think he might actually be sick and not in any condition to do so?

6 hours ago, RED said:

Why would anyone assume Vito is not vaccinated.  Of course he is.  If he isn't, knowing that he needs to be, he would have already transferred from Cornell.  As for him not participating in WTT, on paper he can work out during his quarantine period, but did you ever think he might actually be sick and not in any condition to do so?

but but but i was told this is just a boogie bug and no worse than the stomach flu that doesn’t affect athletes in their prime like that guy in the NFL that is an outlier one-off case

13 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

but but but i was told this is just a boogie bug and no worse than the stomach flu that doesn’t affect athletes in their prime like that guy in the NFL that is an outlier one-off case

Everyone's different and those who are healthy, with no underlying issues, are less likely to be as greatly impacted as those who do have issues.  As you so intelligently pointed out, there are always exceptions.