NJDan

Vito Arujau tests Postive

I never brought up gassing.  Was it you who brought it up? Let's not change the discussion.  The kid gets heavy in the offseason.  A coach told me that it is not an easy cut. 

But since you brought it up: yes he gasses.  Almost coughed it up vs Fix in OTT, as well.  (I'm glad he held on, though)   He only has about 4 minutes during which he can go hard against a quality opponent, then gives up a ton of points.   He would be great in cadet worlds. 

Edited by AHamilton

Oh I believe he cuts - a lot - and yes, he was tired vs Fix. And I have seen him pretty exhausted.  Can’t name matches but I have the memory.  

And has he ever been heavier than Yianni? Sure, I can see it. But from getting ready for OTTs, to wrestling in overseas, to getting ready for WTTs — I don’t picture his weight getting over Yianni’s in the gap periods.  

I’m reading the post above to suggest it was recent and this could impact WTT decision.

I admit that I don’t know — just find it hard to believe.

Edited by nom

3 hours ago, nom said:

Oh I believe he cuts - a lot - and yes, he was tired vs Fix. And I have seen him pretty exhausted.  Can’t name matches but I have the memory.  

And has he ever been heavier than Yianni? Sure, I can see it. But from getting ready for OTTs, to wrestling in overseas, to getting ready for WTTs — I don’t picture his weight getting over Yianni’s in the gap periods.  

I’m reading the post above to suggest it was recent and this could impact WTT decision.

I admit that I don’t know — just find it hard to believe.

I think my original point is that with his inactivity during his covid diagnosis was going to cause his weight to get a bit out of control, especially hearing how he has the propensity to gain weight in the off-season.  That is all.  

4 hours ago, nom said:

Vito's losses to Austin Gomez are another good example. Vito came out smoking on offense in those matches, building a big lead, then gassing and getting beat late.

If Vito ever had a top-end gas tank, he'd be extremely tough to beat. As it stands, he susceptible to guys (albeit very good ones) who can push a high pace for an entire match. 

5 hours ago, AHamilton said:

I think my original point is that with his inactivity during his covid diagnosis was going to cause his weight to get a bit out of control, especially hearing how he has the propensity to gain weight in the off-season.  That is all.  

I asked this in the other thread (2022 champs prediction thread)...

Is Vito wrestling at 125 or 133 this coming season?

11 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

I asked this in the other thread (2022 champs prediction thread)...

Is Vito wrestling at 125 or 133 this coming season?

Good question.  Both Vito and Greg D are showing on the Cornell roster at 125.  Speculation is one of them will move up, but as of now, no indication who.  Senior Dom LaJoie may also have a say in the matter.

22 hours ago, wrestleFan12 said:

Vito's losses to Austin Gomez are another good example. Vito came out smoking on offense in those matches, building a big lead, then gassing and getting beat late.

If Vito ever had a top-end gas tank, he'd be extremely tough to beat. As it stands, he susceptible to guys (albeit very good ones) who can push a high pace for an entire match. 

Great points.  Apparently there are people on this board who just like to argue and don't really watch the wrestling.  Vito is very good, and I like him, but its pretty obvious that a lot of his losses are late in matches, and historically he gives up a ton of points in the last two minutes win or lose.  I mean, he was even outlasted in two matches by a guy with a broken foot!

On 9/3/2021 at 6:18 PM, AHamilton said:

When is Vito "off season?"

On 8/31/2021 at 9:12 AM, dman115 said:

This!!  Logic points to this as to what probably happened...really sucks as if this was the flu, he probably would have worked through it and no one would have known otherwise and he wouldn't have missed out on this opportunity.

this was definitely not my point! i was not suggesting that his regimen was interrupted by over-cautious scolds! i was suggesting that elite training and weight maintenance is not entirely compatible with being sick.

25 minutes ago, Sublime607 said:

2016 NY state tournament should answer the question of how much he cuts. 132-vito 138- Yianni

132  Vito Arujau (Syosset/Section VIII) > Frederick Eckles (LS/Section VI) major decision 19-6
138  Yianni Diakomihalis (Hilton/Section V) > Matthew Grippi 

How is Vito's competition weight from 5 years ago relevant to how much he cuts presently?

5 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

How is Vito's competition weight from 5 years ago relevant to how much he cuts presently?

It's pretty relevant when your try to make 125 for the last year he finished high school at 132.. if you also remember he originally tried to win the 133 spot at cornell and lost it toTucker. It took him sometime to get his weight down to 125 and get that spot.

Edited by Sublime607

On 9/7/2021 at 11:29 AM, ugarte said:

this was definitely not my point! i was not suggesting that his regimen was interrupted by over-cautious scolds! i was suggesting that elite training and weight maintenance is not entirely compatible with being sick.

Which is a very good point

On 9/8/2021 at 8:27 PM, Sublime607 said:

It's pretty relevant when your try to make 125 for the last year he finished high school at 132.. if you also remember he originally tried to win the 133 spot at cornell and lost it toTucker. It took him sometime to get his weight down to 125 and get that spot.

i definitely agree that it says something that a 22-year-old wrestling at 125 wrestled at 132 in high school because guys fill out. i would also say that i think wrestlers - for very good reason - don't (or shouldn't be asked to) cut as aggressively in high school. i didn't wrestle so i'm more than open to being corrected.

11 minutes ago, ugarte said:

i definitely agree that it says something that a 22-year-old wrestling at 125 wrestled at 132 in high school because guys fill out. i would also say that i think wrestlers - for very good reason - don't (or shouldn't be asked to) cut as aggressively in high school. i didn't wrestle so i'm more than open to being corrected.

Also possible he moved up to give a spot to a teammate or simply to challenge himself. That said, he is very skinny.

3 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Also possible he moved up to give a spot to a teammate or simply to challenge himself. That said, he is very skinny.

Vito and Yianni and one other guy agreed to wrestle in different weight classes in HS their senior years so they could each win the state title.  They all won state titles.  So, that may or may not have been a natural weight for him at the time.

Vito has wrestled 125/57kg for three seasons now.  Also, it took him about a month to go from 133 (where he lost to Tucker) back down to 125, so "It took him sometime to get his weight down to 125 and get that spot" is a bit misleading.

8 hours ago, ugarte said:

I only listed Yianni above him because at the time it was rumored that Vito was Cutting to 132 so they stayed away from each other. I'm sure it wasn't much of a cut if he was and again this was just the rumor back then.

10 hours ago, klehner said:

Vito and Yianni and one other guy agreed to wrestle in different weight classes in HS their senior years so they could each win the state title.  They all won state titles.  So, that may or may not have been a natural weight for him at the time.

Vito has wrestled 125/57kg for three seasons now.  Also, it took him about a month to go from 133 (where he lost to Tucker) back down to 125, so "It took him sometime to get his weight down to 125 and get that spot" is a bit misleading.

When Vito dropped to 125 after the loss to Tucker, I believe he was restricted by NCAA weight cutting rules which I am told, allow a specific amount of weight to be dropped each week. I could be wrong here but I seem to recall that coming into play back then.

On 9/10/2021 at 11:37 PM, DanGerMan said:

When Vito dropped to 125 after the loss to Tucker, I believe he was restricted by NCAA weight cutting rules which I am told, allow a specific amount of weight to be dropped each week. I could be wrong here but I seem to recall that coming into play back then.

was going to say the same thing. when he lost the wrestle-off (in OT, or 1-0 or something, IIRC IDNRC) everyone knew it was going to be a while to legally cut and certify at 125.

Edited by ugarte

On 9/10/2021 at 1:02 PM, klehner said:

It's not unknown for lightweights in HS to wrestle up a weight class, in order to impress college coaches that they're big enough for the big time.  Back in the day, Bobby Weaver wrestled 116 in a PG year at Blair, wrestled 118 (more or less, mostly less) in college at Lehigh, then made 105.5 for the '84 Olympics.  Good thing there was no internet back then or some guys' brains would have overheated.

Edited by jdalu75

On 9/10/2021 at 1:02 PM, klehner said:

That was their junior year (Jacori Teemer was the other wrestler). Yianni did not wrestle in the State tournament as a senior and Vito was MOW while winning at 138. The summer following  that Jr season, Vito took silver at Cadet Worlds competing at 58kg (127.6lbs).

7 hours ago, DanGerMan said:

That was their junior year (Jacori Teemer was the other wrestler). Yianni did not wrestle in the State tournament as a senior and Vito was MOW while winning at 138. The summer following  that Jr season, Vito took silver at Cadet Worlds competing at 58kg (127.6lbs).

Thanks for the correction!