juniorvarsity

Chael's Greco Discussion on FRL

25 minutes ago, juniorvarsity said:

I think my point stands with your sentiment in that if we can get AA's serious about Greco by providing them an avenue to the trials, then maybe we can get a deeper pool of talent domestically in Greco. Most NCAA AA's have zero chance of winning a match at Freestyle WTT and they know it. Maybe that is true in Greco too. To be clear, I do not think if this were to be implemented that an AA would be on the team in the first year. I really do like the idea though. We need more domestic competition. I think this would help long term to just expand the participation in Greco.

For example, not one D1 program comes to mind when I think about Greco. Our former Greco team members do not have D1 coaching jobs. I think the best thing we can do for Greco is get it inside these college programs. The RTCs have helped freestyle tremendously. Which RTC do you associate Greco with? For me, none come to mind. 

again, in theory that sounds great...

but...

an appreciation for greco needs to be built at age level and that is on everyone involved...

that begins with parents/athletes/coaches understanding the value of learning and participating in greco and being willing to take chances to try it and not be afraid and totally dismissive of the best style...

just saying because you are an AA you get to go to trials and get thrown on your head is not going to build a bigger base...

16 hours ago, spladle08 said:

@jp157 love the account but not sold just yet.
A first year wrestler enjoying body locks while facing a college future that NEEDS leg work. Could make a great story but .... I'm. Tipsy. @LJB don't **** on NCAA Champion JP O'Conner
He loves folk and he's defending it to the best of his argumentive abilities ....
(Again I'm tipsy)

Not JP O’Connor. I forgot he existed when I made username. 

I wasn’t defending folk. Re read.

I never said my kid would wrestle in college. In fact. If he does go post hs it’ll probably be Greco.

Re read sober 

1 hour ago, LJB said:

again, in theory that sounds great...

but...

an appreciation for greco needs to be built at age level and that is on everyone involved...

that begins with parents/athletes/coaches understanding the value of learning and participating in greco and being willing to take chances to try it and not be afraid and totally dismissive of the best style...

just saying because you are an AA you get to go to trials and get thrown on your head is not going to build a bigger base...

Hence why lack of exposure is such an issue…

Not JP O’Connor. I forgot he existed when I made username. 

I wasn’t defending folk. Re read.
I never said my kid would wrestle in college. In fact. If he does go post hs it’ll probably be Greco.

Re read sober 
Reading sober is such a drag :)
My bad brother
(Your identity is safe with me btw *wink*)

2 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Reading sober is such a drag :)
My bad brother
(Your identity is safe with me btw *wink*)

I’m not. Otherwise I’d be making much more money lol

1 hour ago, LJB said:

Serious question. For those coaches who have no understanding of greco but would like to gain it and incorporate it into their programs, what do you recommend? Is there a particular greco technique library or training manual you recommend so coaches raised on a steady diet of folk/free feel confident they can coach it? I think that is part of the problem. The best clubs in my area (that I see inside the room) spend precious little time on greco. Typically it makes up a small portion of a few practices for a small number of youth/HS athletes who will be competing in greco state. They are great free/folk coaches, but not greco coaches. Their kids do well because they are excellent folk/free wrestlers who can adapt well enough to the competition level, but that's probably not saying much. At least that's my sense.

4 minutes ago, Return of Aztec said:

Serious question. For those coaches who have no understanding of greco but would like to gain it and incorporate it into their programs, what do you recommend? Is there a particular greco technique library or training manual you recommend so coaches raised on a steady diet of folk/free feel confident they can coach it? I think that is part of the problem. The best clubs in my area (that I see inside the room) spend precious little time on greco. Typically it makes up a small portion of a few practices for a small number of youth/HS athletes who will be competing in greco state. They are great free/folk coaches, but not greco coaches. Their kids do well because they are excellent folk/free wrestlers who can adapt well enough to the competition level, but that's probably not saying much. At least that's my sense.

there is any number of resources someone can research in this age...

a ton of matches online...

any real coach could find it if the are inclined, but, that is the issue...

coach-

i don't know it... and what i don't know scares me!!!!

don't wrestle it, kid!!!!

nothing gets done until that overall attitude changes in this country...

27 minutes ago, jp157 said:

Hence why lack of exposure is such an issue…

every state has a greco tourney with their free tourneys...

anyone wrestling in the summer has the opportunity to step on the mat...

6 minutes ago, GockeS said:

so you dont have any clue do you

none...

it was a total accident that my youngest wrestled for a world medal in hungary last month and my oldest won fargo and is now at UNM...

another quality post...

GOLD STAR!!!!!!

so maybe

just maybe

you should answer.

a guy asks a question. legitimate. He actually, for some reason beyond human understanding wants YOUR opinion... again, i know, its unbelievable

and you have to be an ***hole

why?

maybe actually be an advocate for your sport?

i mean you spend enough time here, on this amazing bbs as you call it, that if you are so wonderful, probably could have taught many how to become greco gods, yet you continually waste your time being a jag off

Edited by GockeS

8 minutes ago, GockeS said:

so maybe

just maybe

you should answer.

a guy asks a question. legitimate. He actually, for some reason beyond human understanding wants YOUR opinion... again, i know, its unbelievable

and you have to be an ***hole

why?

maybe actually be an advocate for your sport?

i mean you spend enough time here, on this amazing bbs as you call it, that if you are so wonderful, probably could have taught many how to become greco gods, yet you continually waste your time being a jag off

i answered him, dummy...

no, this is what you said

"""

coach-

nothing gets done until that overall attitude changes in this country..."""

basically, i dont have time for a dummy like you, go look it up yourself

a great way to help get people involved in the so called greatest version...

am i right?

wow.

you said he was a phony

'any Real coach could find...'

so yeah, i can't think of a better way to attract ppl to something they are unfamiliar with than condescention 

sarc

Edited by GockeS

3 minutes ago, GockeS said:

no, this is what you said

"""

coach-

nothing gets done until that overall attitude changes in this country..."""

basically, i dont have time for a dummy like you, go look it up yourself

a great way to help get people involved in the so called greatest version...

am i right?

wow.

you said he was a phony

'any Real coach could find...'

so yeah, i can't think of a better way to attract ppl to something they are unfamiliar with than condescention 

sarc

stop being you...

be somebody better...

there are plenty of resources to learn greco or anything else anyone might want to learn...

was i suppose to include 20 links?

how many matches should i post links to?

the fact of the matter is there is unlimited knowledge at all of our finger tips, but, you still get people like you who will want it just handed to them... then will need it explained to them like a child... and then will just argue about it afterwards while still not having learned a damn thing...

but...

by all means...

keep being you...

any real coach should have some personal initiative to try and improve their own knowledge...

any real coach could do a deep dive on youtube for an evening and come back with any number of things to coach up a kid...

personal initiative is a real thing...

no no

keep being you, you insufferable bully

no you didn't have to list 20 links

he wanted YOUR opinion. one thing to look up maybe.

i mean come on, you want the attitude toward greco to change. but say find your own way?

get a clue.

and no i dont want anything handed to me. i just want you to stop being an ***hole to everyone.

by all means keep being you if you have to, to prove how smart and tough you are when you look in the mirror

1 minute ago, LJB said:

any real coach should have some personal initiative to try and improve their own knowledge...

any real coach could do a deep dive on youtube for an evening and come back with any number of things to coach up a kid...

personal initiative is a real thing...

maybe, and im just spitballing here, and i cant fathom it, but maybe thats why he asked you... to try to improve? 

you know what they say about whats on the internet

and even if he did find a match and didn't interpret the move the way you do... you would still say he was a fool 

Just now, GockeS said:

no no

keep being you, you insufferable bully

no you didn't have to list 20 links

he wanted YOUR opinion. one thing to look up maybe.

i mean come on, you want the attitude toward greco to change. but say find your own way?

get a clue.

and no i dont want anything handed to me. i just want you to stop being an ***hole to everyone.

by all means keep being you if you have to, to prove how smart and tough you are when you look in the mirror

you feel better, sparky?

i sure hope so...

now go on and find someone to treat you with the kid gloves you require...

1 minute ago, GockeS said:

maybe, and im just spitballing here, and i cant fathom it, but maybe thats why he asked you... to try to improve? 

you know what they say about whats on the internet

and even if he did find a match and didn't interpret the move the way you do... you would still say he was a fool 

keep living your best life, little fella...

59 minutes ago, LJB said:

none...

it was a total accident that my youngest wrestled for a world medal in hungary last month and my oldest won fargo and is now at UNM...

another quality post...

GOLD STAR!!!!!!

oh, about that.

I do recall “excuses” being offered about that “wrestling for world medal” rather than winning a medal. 

Also, the existence of a few paltry tournaments is not what I’m referring to. You are being deliberately obtuse to realities on the ground.

Though. To be fair. I’m speaking as a coach on the ground, introducing it to and encouraging kids to wrestle Greco. Who has done so in several states. Who’s seen the spectrum of available coaches and how often/little it’s encouraged or even shown. 

Additionally. Due to.. access and availability. Kids/families than can make sacrifices.. can find local clubs in the leg grabbing.. they can’t always afford to make the extra trips to the few Greco clubs in existence. 

To be fair. I’m actually looking at it from a perspective of actually growing it overall throughout the country. Not a parochial view aimed at adding training partners for my son.

And yes, yes. I’m well aware racing is dangerous. My friend was paralyzed in hs and my nephew broke his femur last year. Driving in a race isn’t the same as training high level wrestling. 

9 minutes ago, LJB said:

you feel better, sparky?

i sure hope so...

now go on and find someone to treat you with the kid gloves you require...

oh i luv your bull

i just can't understand what created such an insufferable lil condescending piece of human trump like you that makes you treat everyone poorly

i mean, i almost felt like i was special... but you are that way to almost everyone