Sign in to follow this  
CollegeWrestling4444

UMBC and bowling green university....

The athletic director at University of Maryland Balitmore is/was Dr. Charles Brown. "Brownie" wrestled for Long Island Universtiy. From LIU, he took a teaching position at Hunter College in New York City. Brown started the wrestling team at Hunter and had great success at that level. While teaching at Hunter, Brown enrolled in Springfield College's doctorate program. He returned to Hunter, became the AD there, and eventually took the position as athletic director of UMBC. Being a great supporter of wrestling, I was surprised that Dr. Brown never started a team at UMBC. My hunch in that Brownie is retiring but I don't know for sure.

Charlie Brown is an interesting man and wherever he went he left a legacy of success.

To CollegeWrestling4444

It's too simplistic to say that Brown failed. I am disappointed that he did not add wrestling to the college. UMBC is not in a hotbed of wrestling. The college was just really getting started when he began his tenure there. He was brought in to develop an athletic program that provided opportunities for students within strict budgetary guidelines. There was never a push from the student body to start a wrestling team and the college president wasn't dealing with a Board of Directors that wanted the sport. I would not say that the man failed at the job.

AD's today make business decisions. Adding wrestling has minimal if any net gain for a college. Hopefully as the college continues to grow, and the sport takes off more in Maryland, UMBC will start a team.

CollegeWrestling4444 that is just asinine!

I am starting to think you are the person that use to post under the user names that were something like ConcernedCollegeCoach and TexasCoach.

I'm not sure why the name calling.

What I said is the truth. If we can't depend on ex wrestlers in administration, who can we depend on?

Since you're actually not in the scene coaching, I can't really expect you to understand the struggle of wrestling. Being a fan is easy. Being in the scene coaching and trying to help D I wrestling is a ton of work.

You don't quite get it. But it's easy to name call for you

UMBC has a real decent club team that competes in the NCWA. It seems like it would just take some administrative support to move that program up.

I know UMD (College Park) has been going through some tough times financially with athletics in general. The D-1 wrestling program there avoided being cut last year, but it was almost on the chopping block (and a number of other sports programs at the school did get dropped). Does anyone know if UMD and UMBC are tied financially? If so, I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for them to add wrestling.

I went to a tournament hosted at UMBC last year. I was told by several UMBC club wrestlers that all they needed was the $$ to go forward with D1. One of them said it would cost about $100K. This is from a couple of very nice, but still young college guys, so take it for what it is worth.