NJDan

From Wrestling to Rassling

I know that Gable S. is considering a career as a WWE performer and that another Minnesota heavyweight made the move about 20 years back. But it seems that real wrestlers making the transition is hardly common. Has anyone else done it since Lesnar?

Both activities require size and strength, but actually wrestling skill would seem pretty useless in the WWE. Do WWE fans even know who Gable is (any more than, say, other sports fans know who he is)? Do those fans really care about freestyle or college wrestling at all? If the WWE wants to guaranty Gable a lot of money, that's great for him. But I can't see any real connection unless Vince McMahon wants to reinvent the notion (long abandoned, I thought) that his shows are real competitions that have some actual relationship to wrestling? 

Edited by NJDan

Lots of guys. Chas Betts, Levi Cooper, Nikola B, Bobby Lashley, Shelton Benjamin, I know a few guys who wrestled in college had tryouts or development deals, a heavyweight from Citadel Odie I think. It's not uncommon now. 

3 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

Not answering your question but apparently U Minn Hwts do it a lot- Vern Gagne!

I remember him from All-Star wrestling, every Sunday morning when I was a kid.  Good times.

Steve "Dr. Death" Williams also transitioned from wrestling to professional wrestling entertainment.

To answer one of the questions, no, WWE fans have no more idea who Gable is than any other fans. Surely, more do now after the gold medal and his recent appearance, but there is no reason to believe pro wrestling fans pay more attention to amateur wrestling than any other group of people. His medal gives him notoriety and a potential angle as a performer, but the skills have almost no overlap.

7 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

Lots of guys. Chas Betts, Levi Cooper, Nikola B, Bobby Lashley, Shelton Benjamin, I know a few guys who wrestled in college had tryouts or development deals, a heavyweight from Citadel Odie I think. It's not uncommon now. 

Maybe I am out of it, but none of these names ring a bell. Are these guys from recent years?

5 hours ago, NJDan said:

Maybe I am out of it, but none of these names ring a bell. Are these guys from recent years?

Chas Betts was on an Olympic team for Greco in 2012. Cooper was an AA at heavyweight for ASU. Nikola was a D2 AA and pretty high up on the Greco ladder for a while. Most of these guys are pretty recent since going that route became more accepted.

To answer one of the questions, no, WWE fans have no more idea who Gable is than any other fans. Surely, more do now after the gold medal and his recent appearance, but there is no reason to believe pro wrestling fans pay more attention to amateur wrestling than any other group of people. His medal gives him notoriety and a potential angle as a performer, but the skills have almost no overlap.
This is all true, but they didn't know who Kurt Angle was, either. The Olympic gold lends credibility as an athlete to whatever storyline they could come up with for him. But it is just a soap opera, so his success will depend completely on his storyline and how the fans accept it, as well as his charisma.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

This was his dream. He has so many options right now and he can make a lot of money in the WWE. He can be the first highflying heavyweight. I’m thinking he will make some money and then get the itch to compete again eventually, but it may be MMA. He really needs a good solid lawyer and only commit to a certain time frame. He can make bank writing a book and he should. If worse came to worse he could always make money doing wrestling camps.

The Kaspers briefly appeared in the 8/24 episode of WWE NXT. It was the first tv appearance for either of them according to an article I found. Jacob was an All-American at Duke and Drew was a DIII All-American at Otterbein and the 285 #1 seed at the canceled 2020 championship.

You can see them in the background here:

To stay on topic I had a wise ole man tell me in HS that "wrestling is what you do on the mat and rassling is what you do in the back seat of a car."  I don't know about this other stuff taled about in this here thread.  ;)

In 1962, Jim Raschke (Nebraska) was the Big 8 heavyweight champ and seeded # 2 at that year's NCAA Tournament but DNP.

Wikipedia lists his amateur career as follows:

He wrestled professionally as Baron Von Raschke:

The claw

Edited by HurricaneWrestling2

On 8/29/2021 at 7:01 AM, IronChef said:

The Kaspers briefly appeared in the 8/24 episode of WWE NXT. It was the first tv appearance for either of them according to an article I found. Jacob was an All-American at Duke and Drew was a DIII All-American at Otterbein and the 285 #1 seed at the canceled 2020 championship.

You can see them in the background here:

Not really sure what happened but saw this

Reading the comments almost forgot “the Miz” from the Real World was in the WWE...

But speaking of brothers, Bobby Steveson:

5 hours ago, jchapman said:

The Steiner Brothers wrestled at Michigan.

As someone who grew up wanting to be the next John Fisher during my eight years of Dale Bahr Michigan wrestling camps, the Rechsteiners wrestled for the Wolverines.

If it weren't for Rico Chiparelli and Duane Goldman in competition and Kirk Trost in the room who knows what could have been. He did pin Greg Wojciechowski.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB5_5k0AeaI 

Edited by KSchlosser

Here are some notable amateurs who wrestled pro over the past century, with final year of college listed:

1. Robin Reed, 1924 Olympic champion (no college)

2 Pete Mehringer, 1932 Olympic champion (All-American at Kansas, 1932)

3. Wayne Martin, 3-time NCAA  champion (Oklahoma U., 1936)

4. Verne Gagne, 2-time NCAA Champion (Minnesota, 1949)

5. Dick Hutton, 3-time NCAA champion (Oklahoma State, 1950)

6. Joe Scarpello, 2-time NCAA champion (Iowa, 1950)

7. Dan Hodge, 3-time NCAA champion (Oklahoma U., 1957)

8. Chris Taylor, Olympic bronze, 2-time NCAA champion (Iowa State, 1973)

9. Brad Rheingans,  2-time Olympian, 3rd in World, NCAA Div. 2 champion (N. Dakota State, 1975)

There are many more who tested the waters -- men like Dean Rockwell, Dale Thomas and even some college coaches in the 1930s who wanted to pick up some extra money in the summers.

On 8/28/2021 at 10:57 AM, NJDan said:

Shelton Benjamin was a junior college transfer to Minnesota, where he was a 2 time all-american....great athlete....after that....never heard of the others.