5x NCAA Top 8 Finishers

Other than last year’s freshmen AA’s, who else has the chance to do this?

Would have had to have redshirted in 2020 and competed in 2021.

I can’t  think of anyone besides Eierman?  And do hope he wins so that he can have gone 5-4-3-2-1

It is pretty unlikely any of the 14 freshman who AAd will be 5 time AAs. There are so many 2 and 3 time AAs that were clearly top 8 skill wise, but draws, weird calls, having a bad day, being sick, your gf breaking up with you the day before, etc have led to them not being 4 time AAs. 

I think it will not only be a cool bit of trivia, but also mind blowing impressive. Consistency is so hard

3 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

It is pretty unlikely any of the 14 freshman who AAd will be 5 time AAs. There are so many 2 and 3 time AAs that were clearly top 8 skill wise, but draws, weird calls, having a bad day, being sick, your gf breaking up with you the day before, etc have led to them not being 4 time AAs. 

I think it will not only be a cool bit of trivia, but also mind blowing impressive. Consistency is so hard

It’s unlikely guys like Starocci, Ferrari ,Kerk , Poz will AA every year they compete? 

It’s unlikely guys like Starocci, Ferrari ,Kerk , Poz will AA every year they compete? 

Yeah, I’m not buying that the two guys with a chance of being 5x NCs won’t AA every year if they are healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Yeah, I’m not buying that the two guys with a chance of being 5x NCs won’t AA every year if they are healthy.

The other part to that is how many of them will want to compete for 4 more years?  I mean you went into college expecting 4 years to compete, Covid may have changed that for a few, but I would think a solid percentage will move on after 4…

2 hours ago, lu1979 said:

Myles Amine is another one - I am pretty sure he is the only other one aside from Eierman.- As you said there are 14 freshman who AA'd last year that could also AA 4 more times.

Has Amine said if he was coming back?  I didn’t think of him, but for some reason I thought I heard he wasn’t coming back but could be wrong.

1 minute ago, 1032004 said:

Has Amine said if he was coming back?  I didn’t think of him, but for some reason I thought I heard he wasn’t coming back but could be wrong.

He wasn't explicit in his interview but he sure gave the impression that he was going to wrestle at Michigan this season.  

https://www.flowrestling.org/video/7130297-myles-amine-on-his-insane-finish-olympic-bronze-and-ncaa-plans

He wasn't explicit in his interview but he sure gave the impression that he was going to wrestle at Michigan this season.  
https://www.flowrestling.org/video/7130297-myles-amine-on-his-insane-finish-olympic-bronze-and-ncaa-plans

I’d love to see him back down at 184. Brooks vs Amine would be a great match.

1 hour ago, Le duke said:

I think Ferrari will go for 5 if he wins the first 4, but if not I could see him going to WWE or something.

I think it’s likely Starocci and Kerk use the extra year thanks to the slush fund (somewhat kidding), although Kerk in particular does have an injury history that could hurt his chances 

2 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

That’s how crazy it is. They are all almost certainly top 8 best wrestlers every year, but there is so much that can go wrong. I’d put the over/under at 1.5 freshman AAs from 2021 will be 5 time AAs. 

There will be a crop of new talent also the next 4 years.  Guys like Gallagher, Feldman, Mendez, Bouzakis, Shapiro may shock some folks and take out a guy that was on the cusp of AA-ing themselves, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.  Wrestling is hard, 5 years is a long time, and the level of dedication needed, minus other, potentially more lucrative opportunities lead me to think that not many will be a 5 time AA.  I hope this post ages poorly and we get to see this accomplishment.

1 hour ago, treep2000 said:

There will be a crop of new talent also the next 4 years.  Guys like Gallagher, Feldman, Mendez, Bouzakis, Shapiro may shock some folks and take out a guy that was on the cusp of AA-ing themselves, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.  Wrestling is hard, 5 years is a long time, and the level of dedication needed, minus other, potentially more lucrative opportunities lead me to think that not many will be a 5 time AA.  I hope this post ages poorly and we get to see this accomplishment.

Exactly 

1 hour ago, gobraves101905 said:

They are. If you don’t want to count it from the covid year, that’s on you. But the record books will say different. 

I said top 8 finishers, not “All-Americans.”  There was no tournament in 2020, so no one finished top 8.

I think the math suggests that at least one of the 14 will get it done. Even if you give each individual a 10% chance of doing it, the expected number of 5x placers is 1.4.

If someone had the data, it would be interesting to know what share of recent freshman All-Americans go on to become 4xers and how that number changes based on freshman year finish. 

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

I said top 8 finishers, not “All-Americans.”  There was no tournament in 2020, so no one finished top 8.

Finished top 8 in the rankings. Did I say AA?  You did say besides last years AA. You did not say top 8 in the tournament. You said ncaa top 8. 

Edited by gobraves101905

1 hour ago, gobraves101905 said:

Finished top 8 in the rankings. Did I say AA?  You did say besides last years AA. You did not say top 8 in the tournament. You said ncaa top 8. 

I said Top 8 Finishers.  A ranking is not a finish.

Yes, I said last year’s Freshmen AA’s because last year’s AA’s were determined by the tournament.

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Fix would be another one for the original list right?

Yes I think you are correct - Fix ORS in 2020 so he has 3 more years to compete - he could be a 5X AA where he actually placed at the NCAAs.  

List of 15 Freshmen who AA'd last year (I was mistaken saying 14 earlier)

125 - LaTona VT

133 - Byrd Ill, Cannon NoW

149 - Parco ASU now, Abas Stan

165 - O'Toole Mo, Amine Mi

174 Starocci PSU, 

184 - Keckeisen N Io, Pozanski Rutg

197 - Ferrari OSU, Elam Mo, Beard PSU

285 - Schultz ASU, Kerkliviet PSU

Looking at that list and even considering all of the pitfalls and obstacles that can arise over the next 4 to 5 years (some of those guys still have a RS year available) I would bet that at least 4 of them will be 5X AAs.

I thought last year was a free additional year? So that would mean anyone who’d AA’d every year including last year would have a chance at 5, right? 

Brock Mauller has never failed to AA, for example. Won’t he have 5 chances?