BigTimeFan

Will 2021 be a “real” world championships?

Clearly the US is sending its A team and is taking this as the real deal (Gable’s not going but that has nothing to do with the tournament). Will the rest of the world show up? They should but it’s off schedule and right after the Olympics? Will Sadulaev be there? Geno? Sidhakov? Etc. 

Edited by BigTimeFan

23 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Yes it’s a real world championship. Everyone has the opportunity to go. What decisions they make is on them. It’s not like the 2016 JV tournament with only four weights and no Olympians allowed. 

You could make the same argument about the "qausi" worlds in 2020. Everyone had the opportunity to go, some federations chose not to. Because of that it was downgraded.  Some people like Russia's head coaches refuse to accept that and refer to Sad as having 7 world level titles. 

How strong the tournament will be is up in the air as of now. So far the US and Iran are taking it seriously. Japan is not.  TBD on Russia and the other countries with medalists/contenders. If Cuba passes, it will seriously downgrade the Greco part of the championships. 

2 hours ago, HawkY said:

You could make the same argument about the "qausi" worlds in 2020.

I would be perfectly okay with that except that the sanctioning governing body did not consider it a "world championships".  I know its kind of a matter on word play, but in answering the original question presented...

1 hour ago, treep2000 said:

It's tough to downplay any year's WC, even the 2016 "JV" version.  I'm sure any one of us would love to have Logan Stieber's world champion moniker on their resume.  Retrospectively, he did win against a solid field.  

I certainly wasn't intending to downplay he or any of the other medalists of that tournament, end of the day its still a very tough tournament.  I said JV not to slander but by definition.  The #1's were not allowed to compete, by definition its a "JV".  But yes still a tough ass tournament to win.

5 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I would be perfectly okay with that except that the sanctioning governing body did not consider it a "world championships".  I know its kind of a matter on word play, but in answering the original question presented...

Its going to get called a World championship regardless since no one is outright  boycotting, I think the OP is asking more about  the quality of the tournament actually being world champ level. 

Like if Russia decides to send their B team. I don't know of any updates except people speculating that Russia  will have to send A because of team title considerations. 

6 hours ago, HawkY said:

Its going to get called a World championship regardless since no one is outright  boycotting, I think the OP is asking more about  the quality of the tournament actually being world champ level. 

Like if Russia decides to send their B team. I don't know of any updates except people speculating that Russia  will have to send A because of team title considerations. 

Precisely what I was wondering about. If, hypothetically, Sadulaev doesn’t show and Snyder wins he’ll be a world champ all right and in twenty years the details will fade but dor the here and now it won’t seem the same. 

Even the 2016 world championships were "real". Why would they allow Olympians to go when the point was to fill in the weights we are screwed out of in the Olympics? They all got their shot that year. Sure, they were watered down, but we complain about the non-Olympic weights being weak even in non-Olympic years. And the World Championships the year after the Olympics (which is basically what this year's worlds will be), is always a bit weaker with retirements and guys not being as committed. It doesn't take away from what those that are committed and show up are able to accomplish.

Edited by Crotalus

On 8/30/2021 at 7:28 AM, Crotalus said:

Even the 2016 world championships were "real". Why would they allow Olympians to go when the point was to fill in the weights we are screwed out of in the Olympics? They all got their shot that year. Sure, they were watered down, but we complain about the non-Olympic weights being weak even in non-Olympic years. And the World Championships the year after the Olympics (which is basically what this year's worlds will be), is always a bit weaker with retirements and guys not being as committed. It doesn't take away from what those that are committed and show up are able to accomplish.

A weight class like 61 kg isn’t capable of being weak.  In this weight range most every country in the world has an elite competitor unlike the upper weights, where it is basically the USA, Russia, Iran and maybe one Russian ex-pat.  

If it was so weak how did bajrang make such a quick exit?  And let’s remember that Logan actually beat Romanov that year…..

Edited by Cradle1

42 minutes ago, Cradle1 said:

A weight class like 61 kg isn’t capable of being weak.  In this weight range most every country in the world has an elite competitor unlike the upper weights, where it is basically the USA, Russia, Iran and maybe one Russian ex-pat.  

If it was so weak how did bajrang make such a quick exit?  And let’s remember that Logan actually beat Romanov that year…..

He didn't beat Romanov he beat Chakaev. At least that's who he beat at worlds. Still a great win.

Edited by AnklePicker

the 61kg weight class Stieber won in 2016 was indeed loaded. and all 4 of Logan's matches were against hammers. Shuptar (2015 world bronze, 2019 Euro bronze), Chakaev (2018 world bronze, 2X Yariguin gold, 2X Euro medalist, 4X RusNats medalist), Ehsanpour (2019 world bronze, 2X Asian gold), Lomtadze (2019 World gold, 5X Euro medalist). You also had Bajrang and Niyazbekov on the other side of the bracket. 

Stieber's world championship is as legit as they come imo.

18 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

He didn't beat Romanov he beat Chakaev. At least that's who he beat at worlds. Still a great win.

He beat Romanov in an amazing match in late 2015….https://www.flowrestling.org/video/5552610-65kg-Logan-Stieber-USA-VS-Soslan-Ramonov-RUS

Edited by Cradle1

Oslo is selling tickets. i'm assuming people will be able to get in with a negative PCR test within 72 hours of your flight but its covid and we cant be sure of anything.

UWW released preliminary entires. some of them will change (like over half the US team which hasn't been decided yet) but some serious firepower has signed up to compete. it would appear this will be a very legit Worlds. 

With the entries being released today, I would say 86 and 97kg are as real as it gets in terms of a "real world championships", with the olympics finalists going and at least one olympics bronze medalist going too. 125 kg is also strong with Taha, Geno and Zare, but Gable obviously is not going. 74 kg is interesting with Dake and Zhamalov. 

On 9/8/2021 at 12:49 PM, Jaroslav Hasek said:

Oslo is selling tickets. i'm assuming people will be able to get in with a negative PCR test within 72 hours of your flight but its covid and we cant be sure of anything.

UWW released preliminary entires. some of them will change (like over half the US team which hasn't been decided yet) but some serious firepower has signed up to compete. it would appear this will be a very legit Worlds. 

bumping this because it looks like spectators coming from places outside of just a small number of countries in europe are going to have to quarantine for a minimum four days upon arrival. there are exceptions but only for residents of a few countries or people with european vaccine card that comes with a QR code, so no American vaccine cards will be accepted. 

Americans can still travel to norway but they'll have to quarantine and then on the 3rd day get a negative PCR test, which will take a day to process. 

I say all this with a caveat that it's my best guess as to what the situation will be like for American spectators and that it may be much harder, or way easier, to get through Norwegian border control at the airport. but if you do want to go and watch all of the freestyle competitions, i'd leave rather soon and expect to spend at least a few days in a hotel before getting to see much of the country. 

This will absolutely be a real world championship, as Sublime said it will be tad watered down like every worlds after the Olympics, but it will still be a collection of the best wrestlers in the world there. Sadulaev and Yazdani will be there, and Russia's team is absolutely legit. I think this worlds is where you will see the outbreak of some stars who will be representing their countries at the next olympics!