Sign in to follow this  
GreatWhiteNorth

Tyron Woodley vs Youtube douchebag

5 hours ago, lu1979 said:

I have to say that Paul has done a lot better against both Askren and Woodley than I ever thought he would.  They are both pro fighters (granted MMA wrestling base vs boxers) and I didn't think he would be able to hang with either one.  He has done pretty well for a you tube influencer.

Jake Paul was also a wrestler. 

The wrestling community is always looking to 'claim' people as wrestlers and as much as the YouTube shtuff isn't my thing, it doesn't mean he wasn't a wrestler.

It bothers me that I care a little about this match-- not enough to watch, but a little. Did the announcers mention that Woodley lost his last four MMA fights and that he is 39-- well past retirement age for most boxers. He appears to be over the hill as an MMA guy and never was a boxer.

Edited by NJDan

8 hours ago, NJDan said:

It bothers me that I care a little about this match-- not enough to watch, but a little. Did the announcers mention that Woodley lost his last four MMA fights and that he is 39-- well past retirement age for most boxers. He appears to be over the hill as an MMA guy and never was a boxer.

It was mentioned, but none of those loses were due to TKO and during his career Woodley has rarely been in trouble due to strikes even against some hard hitting stand up guys.  Woodly didn’t look like a skilled striker in the fight, but he had enough form and the danger of a power puncher to not just be Paul’s punching back.  True be told Woodley took less damage (not much was really dealt out either way) and was in much better physical shape at the end of the fight than Paul.  Paul just put pointed him over the 8 rounds by getting in more jabs and a few combinations in the early rounds.   Woodley wasn’t really interested in pushing the pace, which I figured was a strategy to conserve and then unleash on a tired Paul later on.  But that didn’t really happen either.  Paul has developed some OK boxing form for a short fight, but clearly hasn’t developed the discipline and cardio to hold it rounds progress.  If I’m Paul’s handlers I’d stick with more over-the-hill athletes with a name but little traditional boxing technique.  Woodley was about as much of a step up as Paul can currently have a shot at winning, and honestly Woodley has some opportunity to prevent that.  

3 hours ago, MadMardigain said:

It was mentioned, but none of those loses were due to TKO and during his career Woodley has rarely been in trouble due to strikes even against some hard hitting stand up guys.  Woodly didn’t look like a skilled striker in the fight, but he had enough form and the danger of a power puncher to not just be Paul’s punching back.  True be told Woodley took less damage (not much was really dealt out either way) and was in much better physical shape at the end of the fight than Paul.  Paul just put pointed him over the 8 rounds by getting in more jabs and a few combinations in the early rounds.   Woodley wasn’t really interested in pushing the pace, which I figured was a strategy to conserve and then unleash on a tired Paul later on.  But that didn’t really happen either.  Paul has developed some OK boxing form for a short fight, but clearly hasn’t developed the discipline and cardio to hold it rounds progress.  If I’m Paul’s handlers I’d stick with more over-the-hill athletes with a name but little traditional boxing technique.  Woodley was about as much of a step up as Paul can currently have a shot at winning, and honestly Woodley has some opportunity to prevent that.  

Regardless of how he lost. T-Wood has had 4 MMA fights in the last two years and lost them all. In the previous decade he had just three losses (and 19 wins). I don't follow MMA and have never seen him fight. But this record suggests he, at age 39, has lost a step or two. Not many boxers are still fighting at that age, and the ones who are are making big money off their former glory.

2 hours ago, NJDan said:

Regardless of how he lost. T-Wood has had 4 MMA fights in the last two years and lost them all. In the previous decade he had just three losses (and 19 wins). I don't follow MMA and have never seen him fight. But this record suggests he, at age 39, has lost a step or two. Not many boxers are still fighting at that age, and the ones who are are making big money off their former glory.

Yes, a 39 year old man isn’t in his prime and Woodley not quite where he was when he has the title.   But he’s definitely got himself to a much better level than many guys at that point in their career.   I’m not sure we are really arguing something different, but if you want some added perspective into it all I’ll put it below.  

As you mentioned you don’t follow MMA much, or you may notice the quality of opponents he recent lost too.  If he dropped those fights to little know middle level fighter I’d agree he was at the twilight of his career sticking around a little too long.  But lost his belt to the current champ and 2 pound for pound (no clue how they keep Jones at 1 without fighting) by a decision.  Then he lost to the current #2 ranked fighter by decision.   He followed that up with a loss due to rib injury, which I would ring up in the fluke category more than him getting beat on skill, though it was to the current top contender for the title.  His last UFC loss was a little more surprising with getting caught in a choke after looking good early on, but it’s to the current #4 ranked guy.  So sure someone can paint the picture that the 4 in a row shows he’s some old guy who can’t hang anymore, but honestly those were all to arguably the very top guys not mid-card fighters. 

Woodley would still be considered a quality fighter in his current state of 39 if he choose to be.  But he was looking to get in a couple solid pay days before hanging it up and he wasn’t going to be able to work his way back to even a OK UFC pay day without a few more fights first.   Not to mention the damage taken compared to a Paul boxing match.  If he doesn’t get a rematch with Paul I wouldn’t be shocked if he tries to get at least one solid payday fight at another MMA organization to help pad his retirement fund with more than he probably would get for many of his prior UFC title defenses.  

Woodlet looked pretty fresh for 8 rounds of action and he attempted to have some decent movement in the ring for someone that’s not trained in traditional boxing.   Sure he’s not making a career out of the sport and it maybe more of a knock on Paul than anything but if Woodley executed a better attack plan his hard handed striking would have likely put him over the top with one of the other judges since the 24yo Jake Paul was mostly just jabbing and maintaining beyond the opening few rounds.  Honestly if you watch the fight I really can’t say either of them were interested in putting too many shots together most rounds.  But as mentioned above it was still more of an attempt at some type of “boxing” than we had really previously seen in the other Paul matchups.  

Edited by MadMardigain

55 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Woodley is just not aggressive, not so different than his fight with Usman or Burns.  He lost to a better boxer, period.

Maybe that's one way to put it.

Another way is that Woodley lost to a boxer who's not very good because although he's a fighter, he's not a boxer. (And he isn't very aggressive, I'll give you that.)

Tyron is/was an outstanding wrestler and MMA fighter. Nobody claims he is/was a great boxer, because he's not, never was.

To call a Paul a 'better boxer' isn't necessarily wrong, but for those that don't know better it implies that Paul is actually maybe good. He's not. That point shouldn't be missed.

Paul is a young mediocre boxer at the height of his career who only picks boxing matches with big names non-boxers who are decently past their prime.

A lot of people claim that the fix was in for both the Askren and Woodley fights. I don't know that I necessarily believe that... but I wouldn't doubt it much either. but I think it's a bit more complicated than that (not much, just a bit. Listen on.)

Is Jake Paul (and his brother Logan) trying to invent a new form of "fake-boxing" that is more like WWE fake-wrestling with all the fanfare, backstories, and comic-book like characters who are all there playing a role and cashing in? Crazy pre-match antics and over the top presentation?

Yeah, that makes the most sense. WWE is making tons of money, has been for years. Since they have a stranglehold on that market, why not try to do the same thing but in the boxing world where there's no competition? 

Jake Paul may be a crappy boxer, but he saw where he could make money (OK, most likely someone pointed it out to him.) And he put it together. And that part is impressive.

I can't understand at all why there is any interest in these fights, or why they are even considered "pro" fights. Paul has yet to fight an actual boxer or someone that is actually his size. Nate Robinson would beat him one-on-one in basketball, and Askren and Woodley would demolish him in wrestling or MMA. These are purely cash grabs, and somehow there are enough gullible folks out there for it to work.

1 hour ago, Crotalus said:

I can't understand at all why there is any interest in these fights, or why they are even considered "pro" fights. Paul has yet to fight an actual boxer or someone that is actually his size. Nate Robinson would beat him one-on-one in basketball, and Askren and Woodley would demolish him in wrestling or MMA. These are purely cash grabs, and somehow there are enough gullible folks out there for it to work.

Welcome to PT Barnum's America, where there is one born every minute.  Askren very clearly understood he was a tomato can.  For Woodley, it is a little murky.  Hope this gets Woodley over the hump to his retirement.   Nice marketing and execution on Paul's part.   He has a solid team of money printers.

Maybe I'm wrong or just paid more attention to the Askren one because wrestling, but I feel like the Woodley one was less hyped than the Askren one.   I had heard it was happening, but had no clue when until watching a Barstool Pizza Review (which I commonly do) like the day before the fight which was when I found out that Barstool was hosting it or whatever.

I don't really follow the UFC, but leading up to the Askren fight, I thought the overall opinion was mixed as to whether he had a chance to beat Paul.  I don't know much about Woodley, but didn't more people (maybe even the majority) believe that Woodley would win?

Although Paul still hasn't fought a "boxer," he does seem to at least be increasing the skill level with each guy he fights.   I don't see a problem with letting him do his thing and at least getting these guys some paydays along the way.    If he continues to fight better guys he'll lose one of these times...

If you have read anything about UFC (and to a greater extent MMA) fighter pay you would understand why Askren/Woodley took the fight. It absolutely is a cash grab and I don't blame em for grabbing it. 
I don't blame the fighters, not even Paul. I blame anyone who is willing to pay to watch these "fights". Paul would lose to a decent amateur in his weight class and would make no money doing it, so he picks fights with non-boxers that are 20 lbs less than him and have a significant reach disadvantage. I don't see the interest, but others are apparently willing to shell out money hoping he gets his ass kicked.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

These fights are rigged and nobody is going to convince me the fighters that agree to fight Paul go into it with a certain agreement before hand. Everyone benefit even the clueless paying spectators.

Edited by Sublime607