flyingcement

Way-too-early 2022 Title Predictions by Weight

125: Nick Suriano

133: Sebastian Rivera 

141: Nick Lee

149: Sammy Sasso (Lehigh Valley bias - otherwise may go Yianni)

157: David Carr

165: Keegan O'Toole 

174: MIkey Labriola (Lehigh Valley bias - otherwise may go Mekhi/Starocci)

184: Trent Hidlay

197: Braxton Amos

285: Gable Steveson

12 hours ago, flyingcement said:

125: Nick Suriano

133: Sebastian Rivera 

149: Sammy Sasso (Lehigh Valley bias - otherwise may go Yianni)

165: Keegan O'Toole 

174: MIkey Labriola (Lehigh Valley bias - otherwise may go Mekhi/Starocci)

184: Trent Hidlay

125: Spencer Lee
133: Roman Bravo-Young
149: Yianni Diakomihalis
165: Shane Griffith
174: Carter Starrocci
184: Aaron Brooks
197: AJ Ford Focus
285: Gable Steveson if he wrestles, if not Mason Parris

133: Daton Fix
141: Sebastian Rivera
157: Keegan O'Toole
165: Evan Wick

133: Daton Fix
141: Sebastian Rivera
157: Keegan O'Toole
165: Evan Wick

Isn’t SeaBass going 133?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

Isn’t SeaBass going 133?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I honestly am not sure, I heard a while back that it was Thick Bass season, and if he plans on continuing to compete at 65kg for freestyle, 141 makes more sense to me. If he's not at 141 then give me Nick Lee

125:  Vito.  I'm very concerned about Spencer's ability to compete on no legs against someone the level of Vito. 

133:  RBY

141:  Nick Lee

149:  Yianni  and it ain't close.

157:  Carr.  He could legit be a 4xer

165:  Kharchla.  Calling my Longshot pick

174:  Starocci

184:  Brooks

197:  Ferrari, unless Amos wrestles,  then Amos

285:  Stevenson.  If he doesn't go, Kerkvliet over Parris. 

1 hour ago, treep2000 said:

125:  Vito.  I'm very concerned about Spencer's ability to compete on no legs against someone the level of Vito. 

133:  RBY

141:  Nick Lee

149:  Yianni  and it ain't close.

157:  Carr.  He could legit be a 4xer

165:  Kharchla.  Calling my Longshot pick

174:  Starocci

184:  Brooks

197:  Ferrari, unless Amos wrestles,  then Amos

285:  Stevenson.  If he doesn't go, Kerkvliet over Parris. 

Stevenson?  Lot of hype on that kid coming out of high school but never panned out, no one has seen or heard from him in years.  ;_;

Its an interesting exercise. With every champ returning (I'm in the Steveson returns camp) it is hard not to pick them all to repeat. So far the predictions have been that 3, 9, 4 and 7 will repeat. 90% seems high to me and 30% seems low. Does anyone have any idea what the average percentage of returning champs repeat?

125: Courtney (Lee wrestles, but loses in the semis)
133: RBY
141: Sasso (stops wrestling to lose)
149: Yianni
157: Carr
165: Kharchla (healthy and scoring)
174: Starrocci
197: Amos
285: Parris (Gable does not return)

3 hours ago, treep2000 said:

Is Vito competing at 125 this coming season?  If so, it means they are sitting Greg D. on the bench.

Then who would be Cornell's 133?  Lajoie?

125: Courtney (Lee wrestles, but loses in the semis)
133: RBY
141: Sasso (stops wrestling to lose)
149: Yianni
157: Carr
165: Kharchla (healthy and scoring)
174: Starrocci
197: Amos
285: Parris (Gable does not return)

Sasso at 141, eh?

I don’t like your odds. Particularly against Lee or Eierman.

I’d bet you lunch that Eierman and Lee bonus whoever tOSU trots out at 141 this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

Is Vito competing at 125 this coming season?  If so, it means they are sitting Greg D. on the bench.

Then who would be Cornell's 133?  Lajoie?

My guess is that you will see Greg D competing at whichever weight Vito is not at.  If he is as good as I expect he will be very good at 133 even if he is a bit undersized.

12 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Its an interesting exercise. With every champ returning (I'm in the Steveson returns camp) it is hard not to pick them all to repeat. So far the predictions have been that 3, 9, 4 and 7 will repeat. 90% seems high to me and 30% seems low. Does anyone have any idea what the average percentage of returning champs repeat?

Was wondering that as well...and just realized, even without the extra year of eligibility, is Spencer the only one that used his 4th year of eligibility last season?

Edited by 1032004

2 hours ago, BigTimeFan said:

For those of you picking O’Toole, are you picking him to take out Carr or something else? Have they ever met?

Carr is 157 and O'Toole should be 165 again, doubt if they ever meet.  Keegan made 157 last year, but they bumped him up to make room for Jacques at 157.  The only way O'Toole could be 157 this year is if Jacques redshirts, and even then I don't know if he could still make 157.

125:  Spencer Lee over  Patrick Glory

133:  Sebastian Rivera over Roman Bravo-Young

141:  Jaydin Eierman over somebody

149:  Yianni Diakomihalis over Nick Lee

157:  David Carr over Ryan Deakin

165:  Keegan O'Toole over Alex Marinelli

174:  Michael Kemerer over Carterr Starocci

184:  Aaron Brooks over Trent Hidlay

197:  Braxton Amos over AJ Ferrari

285:  Mason Parris (assuming obviously Gable is not wrestling) over Anthony Cassioppi

125-I have Spencer Lee until proven otherwise. Even if he loses to Nicky P, Glory, and Arujau in the regular season... if he blasts through the B1Gs I am picking him at NCAAs as well.  Those are the only three I see having a farts chance in a $HlT storm at pulling a match from him this year.  That is based on him having no legs below his knees.

133-A lot has me waiting to see what Micic is doing.  I believe he wins it, if he goes 133 this year.  If Rivera is down here and Micic is not back, I have Rivera.  If neither of those two are at 133, I will take RBY.  I believe he will separate himself from the rest of the guys at 133.  Yes, that is including Fix and Desanto.  I do believe Cannon and Byrd are going to close the gap on those two, as well.

141-Nick Lee.  I want Lee up at 149, because I do believe the best team Penn State can put out has Lee there and Bartlett at 141, but the GOAT typically lets his guys choose their weight classes.  I think Nick Lee is on a mission to prove that last year was not a fluke.  Obviously Eierman/Lee is as close to 50/50 as you can get for such clashing styles.  I expect that if Woods and/or Rivera are both are 141 and in form, that they both can absolutely pull off an upset here.  Rumor mills have Alirez dropping to 141 this year, as well.  He is definitely a freestyle guy, but still brings a load of intrigue.  I don't see anyone else being able to beat Lee or Eirman to make the finals.

149-Johnny D.  I want Lee up here, and that isn't only because it makes the team race that much more interesting... but because I want to see Lee/Johnny D in the NCAA finals.  When talking styles, I think Thomas or Mauller are the only ones that will really be able to keep it close with Johnny D.  Wilson will be losing his length advantage at 149.  Lovett could hit a home run, but I don't see how he could beat Johnny D.

157-Deakin.  I still think he is the best guy at 157.  It was no secret that he was injured and was only competing because it was a free year last year.  I think his coaching staff will pace him better and he will show up his senior year as the absolute best version of Deakin we have ever seen and I don't think anyone we see at 157 will beat him.  That said there are a half dozen guys who can win, including returning champs Carr and O'Connor.  Lewan, Coleman(if healthy), Teemer, Monday, Humphreys, Young, Lee... the list goes on of guys who will be extremely competitive.  Of O'Toole comes down?  Instant contender as well.

165-I think this is as wide open as 165 has been for a long time.  I don't see anyone that is going to be heads and shoulders better than the field, come NCAAs.  If we're talking regular season?  Marinelli all the way.  The returning champ lost to the 8th placer the tournament before at their conferences.  Kharchla has a great chance to win as a frosh, depending on how his recovery was.  I am going to go out on a limb and say that if O'Toole goes 165, he wins it.  If he doesn't I got Wick finally getting it done, while wrestling with his brother.  The dream was always to win titles with his twin, Zander, but now he has a chance to do it wrestling on the same team as baby brother Luca.  I think he gets it done.

174-HO LE PHUK.  This weight is bonkers.  Imagine if Griffith had chosen to go 174, which some folks are saying.  If Massa goes, I am going to be rooting him on, for sure.  He's just not built to handle guys like Mikey Labs.  What's worse is that he thinks he is built to be able to manhandle those guys.  He goes back to his wrestling, he can beat anyone.  I think this is the year ARP Card Holder Kemerererer gets it done.  All respect to everyone else, but Kemererer is the best wrestler at 174.

184-If Amine is back and down at 184, I think he wins it.  If not, I have Brooks repeating.  He'll separate the gap a bit more.  Hidlay's club may be a factor, but not against Brooks.  Truax and Romero add interesting elements to a VERY sporadic 184 last year.  The blood round will be filled with people who absolutely expected to place very high that end up not placing at all.

OOPS HIT SAVE

197-This weight is so deep.  Brucki, Dean, Pyles Jr(Darmstadt) being able to wrestle will be awesome.  Amos and Ferrari and Elam as Frosh will be awesome.  Adams, Buchanan, Sloan... I mean the list can keep going.  The consi R16 BEFORE the blood round is going to have quite possibly 8 matches of folks that full-on expected to place high, or even win!  I have Amos here.  No real reason other than I am a huge fan of his character.

285-Parris.  This guy is on a mission.  IF Steveson is here, Steveson will win again.  If not, Parris will win.  I think that gap between him and Cassman is growing as Parris get's more physically strong.  I think a healthy and BIG Kerk could be the match of the tournament.

Edited by nhs67

125. Suriano over Lee, if Suriano goes.
133. RBY over Rivera.
141. Lee over Eierman.
149. Yianni.
157. Carr.
165. Griffith.
174. Starocci.
184. Brooks over Amine.
197. Amos
285. Parris over Kerk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, drag it said:

Not one vote for Deakin?  I rate him a slight favorite, with no disrespect to Carr.  Deakin was still recovering in March. If he's healthy, I think he's the best guy in the weight.  

I sat in the stands for his match against Nolf and I can't unseen that.