Jrr277

Gable signs with WWE

On 9/5/2021 at 8:59 AM, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

It will take him a while before we see him in the “show” he keeps calling himself an entertainer but he needs a lot of microphone work. He’s not a particularly engaging interview and comes off a bit awkward, he does have the athleticism but most of those guys have freak athleticism. It’s the ability to talk that sets the top guys apart.

I agree. 

His physical talents are undeniable, and his success in the real sport has come from his character as a champion - having that high-level confidence in his physical abilities.

What's his college major? He'd benefit from some acting/theater classes.  

1 hour ago, denger said:

I agree. 

His physical talents are undeniable, and his success in the real sport has come from his character as a champion - having that high-level confidence in his physical abilities.

What's his college major? He'd benefit from some acting/theater classes.  

His physical talents as an athlete are undeniable. In terms of wrestlers in US history at that size, it’s probably him and Mark Schultz. As a professional wrestler, it’s more about what you look like than how great an athlete you actually are (Chas Betts case and point), and he is relatively short compared to most of the superstars. It’s going to take a lot of steroids.

Btw, can WWE really have two Gables? Is this the end of the road for Chas or will Steveson start going by a different moniker? 

5 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Like most here I don’t watch WWE but as I think someone else said earlier, hasn’t the WWE cleaned up a lot (I’m sure not all) of the steroid use?  Couldn’t it be argued that training for fake wrestling might actually be more safe than training for real wrestling?

I honestly have zero idea if they use or don't use steroids, or if it is safer or more dangerous to train for WWE. I was really just trying to make the point that bnwtwg was only looking at. One side of the equatjon, what the pay is for an activity, which short changes the analysis.

Leaving steroids out of it and keeping it in consultant speak, there are many companies that have gone bankrupt chasing top line revenue growth. I have run into this with my own salesmen on occassion. They want to do some new custom work for every prospect they come across where I just want them to "sell whats on the truck". While the custom software projects grow top line revenue, they actually shrink profits as they come at great expense.

It is possible that WWE contract will come at great cost, or not. But the cost must be examined. It just isn't as black and white as was being claimed.

On 9/5/2021 at 2:59 PM, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

It will take him a while before we see him in the “show” he keeps calling himself an entertainer but he needs a lot of microphone work. He’s not a particularly engaging interview and comes off a bit awkward, he does have the athleticism but most of those guys have freak athleticism. It’s the ability to talk that sets the top guys apart.

Agree.

And it’s kind of funny because he’s probably made himself the biggest heel/personality in college wrestling with how he humiliated guys and how mean he can get. But put him on the microphone and he’s kind of a mess.

1 hour ago, scribe said:

Why can't Jordan Burroughs join the WWE?

Everything I know about cruiserweight professional wrestling comes from a scan of wikipedia 3 minutes ago. 

He'd be the first cruiserweight that I'd ever heard of. 

2 hours ago, Lunaticfringe said:

From a dead serious standpoint, he will really have to tone up and get into way better shape. The only guys they allow pudgy like him are guys like Kevin Owens, he will get shredded when on gear

Mark Henry has wrestled for years with a similar build. Though Henry is taller. Former Florida state champ Windham Rotunda who wrestled as Bray Wyatt isn't built too much different. 

2 hours ago, Lunaticfringe said:

From a dead serious standpoint, he will really have to tone up and get into way better shape. The only guys they allow pudgy like him are guys like Kevin Owens, he will get shredded when on gear

Hmmm... a "dead serious" standpoint on fake wrestling... kind of like a "dead serious" standpoint on daytime soap operas, game shows, or barbie dolls. These silly entertainment sideshows, although they make a lot of money, have nothing in common with anything that can actually be considered dead serious.

As far as "get into way better shape"... there's only one way to get in better shape than what he's been doing the last 4 years. And I'm pretty sure it will eliminate him from the next Tour de France.

Another perspective is that, maybe, he could be a new generation of athlete. Equipped with a body like a gritty NFL lineman rather than a fancy oiled and tanned body builder who spends half his time in the gym looking at himself in the mirror. Things change.

On 9/4/2021 at 10:36 PM, NJDan said:

Will he be able to pass a drug test after joining WWE. Serious question.

WWE had a wellness policy they have suspended their world champion and countless others even some development trainers before so they seem to take it seriously.

Don't understand why most of you guys always feel so personally threatened WWE is a completely different product that few amiture wrestlers make the move to.

Edited by Sublime607

So...I get it from a couple posters on here that you HAVE to take steroids to be in the WWE??  And ALL WWE 'wrestlers' either get a serious injury and/or die at an early age??  <eye roll>

Never understood the "It's stupid and no one should ever do it because I don't understand it or like it" mentality.  

Good luck to you Mr. Stevsen!  I hope you are successful in whatever you with his life!

3 hours ago, Sublime607 said:

WWE had a wellness policy they have suspended their world champion and countless others even some development trainers before so they seem to take it seriously.

Don't understand why most of you guys always feel so personally threatened WWE is a completely different product that few amiture wrestlers make the move to.

You actually believe that WWE doesn’t actively pressure them to use steroids? You either have to be a freak (7 feet tall, 400 lb) or roided up. I guarantee you that Gable will look very different during his first appearance. Just look at Chad Gable and that other guy who used to wrestle. It’s not about athletic performance-it’s entirely about appearance. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

9 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

Mark Henry has wrestled for years with a similar build. Though Henry is taller. Former Florida state champ Windham Rotunda who wrestled as Bray Wyatt isn't built too much different. 

Mark Henry was also (and probably still is) one of the strongest men on the planet.

I haven't watched fake wrestling since I was a wee lad, but from what I've seen in commercials, there are plenty of pudgy guys running around in their underwear. I don't think the fan base cares about the body builder look as much as some posters here think (not sure how much they care about an Olympic gold, either). And watching a chubby guy do back flips off the top rope will be entertaining to them. His charisma and story line will determine his success.  

1 hour ago, Casper said:

Going from a real Athlete and world class competition to Whoring for entertainment is not a good choice.

Money is not the answer to everything.

He has had respect and now loses it.

Wonder how "successful" you are???  

Going to go out on a limb and say you have participated in a government assistance program??

And who's respect are you talking about?  Yours??

4 hours ago, scribe said:

It’s just another element poaching and snuffing out our best wrestlers. Bad for wrestling. 

I disagree, it gives people a future career path that amateur wrestling can help with.   Right now the main options to make money in actual wrestling are either coaching or being one of the  best wrestlers in the world.

1 hour ago, Crotalus said:

I don't think the fan base cares about the body builder look as much as some posters here think (not sure how much they care about an Olympic gold, either). 

Agreed.  While some of the pro stars had  the body builder look, others who didn't were nonetheless popular due to their persona/gimmick/ (whatever you wanna call it)...

The power and the glory of Dusty Rhodes: The &quot;American Dream&quot; who  transcended pro wrestling&#39;s racial divide | Salon.com

4 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

You actually believe that WWE doesn’t actively pressure them to use steroids? You either have to be a freak (7 feet tall, 400 lb) or roided up. I guarantee you that Gable will look very different during his first appearance. Just look at Chad Gable and that other guy who used to wrestle. It’s not about athletic performance-it’s entirely about appearance. 

I'm sure guys still use it but I highly doubt the WWE (still) "actively pressures" anyone to use them.   If so McMahon will be looking at a (nother) big lawsuit/indictment and I'm sure he doesn't want that, sounds like he got lucky getting off last time - https://www.vice.com/en/article/pg5n3z/the-forgotten-steroid-trial-that-almost-brought-down-vince-mcmahon