Jrr277

Gable signs with WWE

4 hours ago, Casper said:

Going from a real Athlete and world class competition to Whoring for entertainment is not a good choice.

Money is not the answer to everything.

He has had respect and now loses it.

Oh boo hoo. The "respect" argument being tossed out by the professional wrestling haters here and on the Facebook groups is strong and full of vitriol for no quantifiable reason. It's like to be respected in wrestling, you have to coach, be poor, only win medals and only stay in the sport and work at Dick's or Home Depot to supplement training. 

The ignorance of the "business" of professional wrestling/sports entertainment in this thread and the Facebook groups is also next level. We celebrate people being wrestlers in all walks of life - but there's this get off my lawn crowd who has some issue with the WWE et al using the word wrestling. You know who isn't complaining about us using the world wrestling? Professional wrestling fans. I don't watch it nearly as much as I did growing up, but I follow OUR people and if that's the career path they chose, guess what, their "amateur" accolades get mentioned pretty much every time they're on TV. 

Millions of viewers will hear about Jacob Kasper's college accolades as Julius Creed, same with Gable's gold. Just like they did with Kurt Angle. You know who hasn't put wrestling infront of millions of eyes each week for the last couple decades? Our wrestling. 

Gable (and everyone else who went the pro wrestling route) doesn't care about anyone's respect except those in their circle of trust. That definitely doesn't mean, you, me or any other blowhard on the web who wants to take a dump on other people's life choices and how they use their talents to make a living. 

Boo freaking hoo. 

35 minutes ago, JasonBryant said:

Oh boo hoo. The "respect" argument being tossed out by the professional wrestling haters here and on the Facebook groups is strong and full of vitriol for no quantifiable reason. It's like to be respected in wrestling, you have to coach, be poor, only win medals and only stay in the sport and work at Dick's or Home Depot to supplement training. 

The ignorance of the "business" of professional wrestling/sports entertainment in this thread and the Facebook groups is also next level. We celebrate people being wrestlers in all walks of life - but there's this get off my lawn crowd who has some issue with the WWE et al using the word wrestling. You know who isn't complaining about us using the world wrestling? Professional wrestling fans. I don't watch it nearly as much as I did growing up, but I follow OUR people and if that's the career path they chose, guess what, their "amateur" accolades get mentioned pretty much every time they're on TV. 

Millions of viewers will hear about Jacob Kasper's college accolades as Julius Creed, same with Gable's gold. Just like they did with Kurt Angle. You know who hasn't put wrestling infront of millions of eyes each week for the last couple decades? Our wrestling. 

Gable (and everyone else who went the pro wrestling route) doesn't care about anyone's respect except those in their circle of trust. That definitely doesn't mean, you, me or any other blowhard on the web who wants to take a dump on other people's life choices and how they use their talents to make a living. 

Boo freaking hoo. 

Now, defend Nickelback.

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

I'm sure guys still use it but I highly doubt the WWE (still) "actively pressures" anyone to use them.   If so McMahon will be looking at a (nother) big lawsuit/indictment and I'm sure he doesn't want that, sounds like he got lucky getting off last time - https://www.vice.com/en/article/pg5n3z/the-forgotten-steroid-trial-that-almost-brought-down-vince-mcmahon

They don’t have to tell them to use it. The ones who don’t are simply written out unless they are a physical freak or a gimmick character. 

1 hour ago, JasonBryant said:

Boo freaking hoo. 

This would make sense, except WWE isn’t wrestling or even close to it. The Harlem globe trotters and And1 basketball are entertainers, kind of like WWE, except they at least do something that resembles the sport of basketball and involved basketball skills (awesome dunks, cool trick shots, etc). Being “good” at WWE requires basically the same skillset as being good on Jerry Springer or Jersey Shore, with the added caveat of needing to be roided up and put your body through pain. 

Wrestling has come a long way from the days of athletes needing to work part time at Home Depot to compete. It’s arguable that WWE is a very poor career move from a long term health/financial security standpoint that he would receive as basically the heir to JB as face of the sport (as opposed to the health risks of needing to juice up/possibly develop a substance abuse issue from the physical abuse involved in WWE). 

Obviously Gable doesn’t care about what posters think, but it’s kind of what posting here is about-sharing opinions that athletes don’t care about. It’s also pretty much exactly what “sports talk” is about as well. Were those who are unhappy with people questioning this decision also defending Paul Donahoe or Kenny Jordan from similar criticism? Decisions made by high profile athletes that are controversial will face scrutiny. In retrospect, Donahoe and Jordan received way too much hate for their decision-but publicity is part of the sport-especially when it’s arguably the best current US wrestler. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

1 hour ago, JasonBryant said:

Boo freaking hoo. 

A better rock n roll analogy might be multiple x world / Olympic champ Steveson : Steve Albini or Stephen Malkmus :: WWE star Steveson : Dave Grohl.

All three rock n rollers began their careers with similar indie cred. But, Grohl became a gazillionaire clown while the other two made comfortable lives while retaining their dignity.

Edited by jackwebster

27 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

They don’t have to tell them to use it. The ones who don’t are simply written out unless they are a physical freak or a gimmick character. 

Good thing Gable is already a physical freak then.  How many other 250 lb dudes do you know that can do backflips?

2 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

but there's this get off my lawn crowd who has some issue with the WWE et al using the word wrestling. You know who isn't complaining about us using the world wrestling?

This is a great point. We make it seem like there's some rivalry, when most WWE fans don't know we exist.

It reminds me of the "bad blood" between VT / UVA. VT folks never pass up an opportunity to mock UVA for their perennial suckdom on the field, while UVA folks would be hard pressed to find Blacksburg on a map.

Edited by jackwebster

6 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

This is a great point. We make it seem like there's some rivalry, when most WWE fans don't know we exist.

It reminds me of the "bad blood" between VT / UVA. VT folks never pass up an opportunity to mock UVA for their perennial suckdom on the field, while UVA folks would be hard pressed to find Blacksburg in a map.

Another analogy is the university of Phoenix or Grand Canyon University using the word University. Yes, they may resemble universities and have way more students, but transferring there isn’t usually a great career move. 

This would make sense, except WWE isn’t wrestling or even close to it. The Harlem globe trotters and And1 basketball are entertainers, kind of like WWE, except they at least do something that resembles the sport of basketball and involved basketball skills (awesome dunks, cool trick shots, etc). Being “good” at WWE requires basically the same skillset as being good on Jerry Springer or Jersey Shore, with the added caveat of needing to be roided up and put your body through pain. 

This is that type of lack of actual knowledge of how “the business”
works that’s populating the anti-WWE positions.

6 minutes ago, JasonBryant said:

This is that type of lack of actual knowledge of how “the business”
works that’s populating the anti-WWE positions.

How is WWE anything like wrestling? The only similarity is that the contest can end via a “pinfall” in both. I don’t see many backhand slaps, chairs to the back, or crying into microphones at NCAAs. How is WWE different than any other scripted reality TV drama (other then significantly lower life expectancy due to steroids and enduring physical abuse)? WWE is more similar to Real Housewives than it is to wrestling. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

How is WWE anything like wrestling? The only similarity is that the contest can end via a “pinfall” in both. I don’t see many backhand slaps, chairs to the back, or crying into microphones at NCAAs. How is WWE different than any other scripted reality TV drama (other then significantly lower life expectancy due to steroids and enduring physical abuse)? WWE is more similar to Real Housewives than it is to wrestling. 

Did I ever utter they were anything alike? I did nothing of the sort. You’re trying to argue a point I’m not making. Carry on.

Just now, JasonBryant said:

Did I ever utter they were anything alike? I did nothing of the sort. You’re trying to argue a point I’m not making. Carry on.

You referred to “get off my lawn” people taking issue with WWE calling their program wrestling in your original post. I am highlighting why many wrestling fans take issue with WWE. Why is it surprising that many of us want the sport to have nothing to do with something that requires steroid abuse, fake drama, and is honestly just ridiculous (even if you like WWE or are nostalgic about it, you have to admit it is these three things)?

20 minutes ago, scribe said:

It’s something to see fans on amateur wrestling forums defending the loss of talent. No other sport I look at has this attrition of the best. And certainly none others dense enough to defend it. 

concussion protocol came too late for many of us :(

24 minutes ago, scribe said:

It’s something to see fans on amateur wrestling forums defending the loss of talent. No other sport I look at has this attrition of the best. And certainly none others dense enough to defend it. 

You mean we won't be celebrating Sadulaev quitting wrestling this year  to become a member of the state Duma?  But he is so talented and he would be the GOAT Russian Minister of Justice. 

1 hour ago, Billyhoyle said:

You referred to “get off my lawn” people taking issue with WWE calling their program wrestling in your original post. I am highlighting why many wrestling fans take issue with WWE. Why is it surprising that many of us want the sport to have nothing to do with something that requires steroid abuse, fake drama, and is honestly just ridiculous (even if you like WWE or are nostalgic about it, you have to admit it is these three things)?

You seem to have an issue with people's taste and choice in entertaiment, and that's nothing you nor I have any control over. Repeating the same tropes over and over as if they're factual don't make them factual either. Look up the definition of drama. That's what the world of professional wrestling is. Calling it fake drama actually means it's not drama at all, when millions (and millions) of The Rock's fans tune in each week for drama. It doesn't require steroid abuse, that's a narrative pushed in the hater's guide to pro wrestling. 

The only thing of those three that are remotely factual is that it is ridiculous. It's absolutely ridiculous. And people watch. Most stuff on TV that people watch is freaking ridiculous. There's even a show called Ridiculousness. Again, you seem to take issue with people's tastes in what they watch and the fact more people watch that than us, while annoying, is no battle we're ever, ever going to win. 

The mainstream's acceptance of professional wrestling as "wrestling" happened years and years ago. We lost that battle, mainly because of our own doing. That's not Vince McMahon's or Ted Turner's or Jim Crockett's fault - its ours and some of us want to run around and whine about the WWE as if it's done some type of damage to the sport. 

So Gable's going to the WWE and someone's upset about it.

Boo freaking hoo. 

So ends my input in this thread. Good day.