Jrr277

Gable signs with WWE

1 hour ago, scribe said:

It’s something to see fans on amateur wrestling forums defending the loss of talent. No other sport I look at has this attrition of the best. And certainly none others dense enough to defend it. 

Well if we're being specific it may only end up being "international wrestling's" loss of talent.   There still seems to be indication that Gable will wrestle in the NCAA this year.  Yes he technically has 1 more year of eligibility but this will be his 4th season if he competes.   

2 hours ago, jackwebster said:

A better rock n roll analogy might be multiple x world / Olympic champ Steveson : Steve Albini or Stephen Malkmus :: WWE star Steveson : Dave Grohl.

All three rock n rollers began their careers with similar indie cred. But, Grohl became a gazillionaire clown while the other two made comfortable lives while retaining their dignity.

How is Dave Grohl an indignant clown?

4 hours ago, scribe said:

It’s something to see fans on amateur wrestling forums defending the loss of talent. No other sport I look at has this attrition of the best. And certainly none others dense enough to defend it. 

Nobody likes the loss of talent but it's his life and his decision. Would he get just as much flake if he decided to hang up his shoes to work full time as a business owner? I'm sorry but I'm never going to knock anyone that makes any kind of career decision for themselves. USA should be confident in our system that we simply say next man up.

Edited by Sublime607

9 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

You seem to have an issue with people's taste and choice in entertaiment, and that's nothing you nor I have any control over. Repeating the same tropes over and over as if Again, you seem to take issue with people's tastes in what they watch and the fact more people watch that than us, while annoying, is no battle we're ever, ever going to win.

I didn't think that's what he was saying. I think he as a participant on a wrestling board was expressing his personal views that (1) he finds that to be the best in the world in the venerable and dignified competitive sport of wrestling, as established by getting your hand raised after a championship match, to be a higher calling than being an employee of an entertainment organization that scripts your participation in an acrobatic dramatic show; and (2) he believes that the short term financial benefits of entertainment may not prove to be satisfying in the long run due to, among other things, the types of health concerns raised by participants such as those who have sued dramatic wrestling over safety issues, and such as Chris Nowinski, the Harvard grad who now collects brains for the BU lab because of his concussion history and concerns about CTE. 

That is a different thing than denying the obvious -- that dramatic choreographed entertainment that calls itself wrestling is immensely popular and that it generates more revenue in a free market than competitive wrestling.  One can both accept this, and not begrudge people's ability to spend their time watching whatever competitons or scripted dramas they want, while also at the same time, on a wrestling board, voice wrestling-slanted opinions about the choices that public figures in wrestling  make.  Why someone expressing those views would be treated with disgust and vitriol is surprising to me.

13 hours ago, AHamilton said:

I thought he was a fairly cool, relatively  guy who has managed to make some decent music while also making a few bucks.  Maybe everyone should just stay poor!

Albini and Malkmus are not poor and are not cartoons of rockstars (inherently cartoonish). Grohl has put out the same song for 25 years, but bc he is "relatively cool," i.e. not Nickelback and nice, he's given a pass for being boring.

Consider the project where he goes around to all these cities, orders a pu pu platter of the local music (e.g. DC gogo and straight-edge hardcore), grafts some lyrics that are only tagentially related to the city's scene onto a foo stadium-ready song, and calls it a tribute. 

I can't decide if the result is tawdry or moronic (and his bizarre take on the etiology of HIV only further muddies the water) . . . And we give him a pass bc he's nice to his mom.

Edited by jackwebster

Wonder how "successful" you are???  
Going to go out on a limb and say you have participated in a government assistance program??
And who's respect are you talking about?  Yours??
WWE is a soap opera intended for fools.

I'm part of a government assistance program, yeah I have a business and yes I pay taxes.

And I don't watch oiled up steroid freaks in panties fake fight each other fyi.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, jackwebster said:

Albini and Malkmus are not poor and are not cartoons of rockstars (inherently cartoonish). Grohl has essentially put out the same song for 25 years, but bc he is "relatively cool," i.e. not Nickelback and nice, he's given a pass for being boring.

Consider the project where he goes around to all these cities, orders a pu pu platter of the local music (e.g. DC gogo and straight-edge hardcore), grafts some lyrics that are only tagentially related to the city's scene onto a foo stadium-ready song, and calls it a tribute. 

I can't decide if the result is tawdry or moronic (and his bizarre take on the etiology of HIV only further muddies the water) . . . And we give him a pass bc he's nice to his mom.

Hey, some people seem to get a pass for overusing their thesaurus, too! Everyone gets a pass!

Edited by AHamilton

17 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

Being “good” at WWE requires basically the same skillset as being good on Jerry Springer or Jersey Shore

Decisions made by high profile athletes that are controversial will face scrutiny. 

These two statements show how completely clueless about this you really are.  But I will only entertain the second one.  Please explain how someone choosing their own personal, completely legitimate career path is 'controversial'?  In doing so, please keep in mind controversial does not mean "I don't like it".

2 hours ago, cjc007 said:

WWE is a soap opera intended for fools.

I'm part of a government assistance program, yeah I have a business and yes I pay taxes.

And I don't watch oiled up steroid freaks in panties fake fight each other fyi.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

1.  WWE is a soap opera, but go ahead and judge a whole group of people because you chose to not watch (by the way, I can't stand watching it, but wouldn't fault someone who does)

2.  Not surprised...carry on comrade...carry on....

3.  Insecurity of one's manhood, or true feelings is a thing...please seek help...be okay with who you are and how you feel.

20 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

Oh boo hoo. The "respect" argument being tossed out by the professional wrestling haters here and on the Facebook groups is strong and full of vitriol for no quantifiable reason. It's like to be respected in wrestling, you have to coach, be poor, only win medals and only stay in the sport and work at Dick's or Home Depot to supplement training. 

The ignorance of the "business" of professional wrestling/sports entertainment in this thread and the Facebook groups is also next level. We celebrate people being wrestlers in all walks of life - but there's this get off my lawn crowd who has some issue with the WWE et al using the word wrestling. You know who isn't complaining about us using the world wrestling? Professional wrestling fans. I don't watch it nearly as much as I did growing up, but I follow OUR people and if that's the career path they chose, guess what, their "amateur" accolades get mentioned pretty much every time they're on TV. 

Millions of viewers will hear about Jacob Kasper's college accolades as Julius Creed, same with Gable's gold. Just like they did with Kurt Angle. You know who hasn't put wrestling infront of millions of eyes each week for the last couple decades? Our wrestling. 

Gable (and everyone else who went the pro wrestling route) doesn't care about anyone's respect except those in their circle of trust. That definitely doesn't mean, you, me or any other blowhard on the web who wants to take a dump on other people's life choices and how they use their talents to make a living. 

Boo freaking hoo. 

Do you really think that a pro wrestler's amateur credentials being mentioned increases interest in wrestling. Do you know even one person whose interest in rassling led to an interest in wrestling.

No one is questioning Gable's right to join WWE. But it's still a sad event and I have no idea why you want to defend it.

2 hours ago, NJDan said:

Do you really think that a pro wrestler's amateur credentials being mentioned increases interest in wrestling. Do you know even one person whose interest in rassling led to an interest in wrestling.

No one is questioning Gable's right to join WWE. But it's still a sad event and I have no idea why you want to defend it.

Yes, actually a whooooooole lot of kids look for a wrestling club because they see rasslin on TV.

And you have no idea why someone would support a persons own personal ambitions and goals, particularly when that person's decisions on the career path literally have zero impact on your life?  So what you are saying is the world should be all about "what I want"

Edited by Lurker

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Isn't this probably like 20% of first year middle school wrestlers?   I know they don't all stick around but many do.

To paraphrase the aforementioned Dave Grohl: ' I stuck around.'

3 hours ago, Lurker said:

These two statements show how completely clueless about this you really are.  But I will only entertain the second one.  Please explain how someone choosing their own personal, completely legitimate career path is 'controversial'?  In doing so, please keep in mind controversial does not mean "I don't like it".

Same reason Bobby Fischer stepping away from Chess at age 27 was. You don’t think it would be controversial if Zion Williamson or Juan Soto decided to leave basketball/ baseball tomorrow to be reality TV stars?

The controversy stems from both the wasted talent and the career path he is leaving it for. This is not John Urschel leaving a dangerous sport for an academic pursuit or even Andrew Luck retiring young after dealing with injury (and even the latter was controversial to some).  WWE is probably the worst trash on TV-If you like it, that’s fine-but it’s still complete trash. I like some trashy tv too, but I wouldn’t like seeing the best wrestler in the US to leave the sport to star in it. 

Are we really at a point in society where we have to act like every decision everyone makes is awesome? It’s his choice so we support it! Yay, he will be a movie star like Duane Johnson! Sorry, I’m not that politically correct-there’s nothing wrong with fans of this sport pointing out that this is a poor decision. 

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Isn't this probably like 20% of first year middle school wrestlers?   I know they don't all stick around but many do.

Fair point. But I was talking about fans of WWE becoming fans of wrestling (not participants).

10 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Same reason Bobby Fischer stepping away from Chess at age 27 was. You don’t think it would be controversial if Zion Williamson or Juan Soto decided to leave basketball/ baseball tomorrow to be reality TV stars?

The controversy stems from both the wasted talent and the career path he is leaving it for. This is not John Urschel leaving a dangerous sport for an academic pursuit or even Andrew Luck retiring young after dealing with injury (and even the latter was controversial to some).  WWE is probably the worst trash on TV-If you like it, that’s fine-but it’s still complete trash. I like some trashy tv too, but I wouldn’t like seeing the best wrestler in the US to leave the sport to star in it. 

Are we really at a point in society where we have to act like every decision everyone makes is awesome? It’s his choice so we support it! Yay, he will be a movie star like Duane Johnson! Sorry, I’m not that politically correct-there’s nothing wrong with fans of this sport pointing out that this is a poor decision. 

No, we don't have to act like every decision someone makes is awesome.  I just guess you and I have a completely different opinion on what a true controversy is.  There are plenty of real controversies in life to be upset over, someone choosing a completely legitimate career path, let alone one that negatively impacts absolutely no one else, is not at all a 'controversy'.  But then again we do live in a world where its all about what does or does not offend 'me', so why not....

5 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

What is wasted if he uses the talents he does have in a different way then he currently is??  That is controversial??  <shoulder shrug>

Are we really at a point in our society that we have to criticize every single person's every single move??  Not to mention, completely lump, label and mock a whole group of people based on stereotypes and ignorance??  And finally, are we really at a point that those on an internet message board can proclaim to be experts at everything by regurgitating the same ole stupid  "ASSumptions" and rhetoric about a topic they clearly know nothing about, over and over, until they actually believe they are an expert and the rhetoric is actually true???

I'd rather live in a society that doesn't believe "You are the worst human in the world because you voted for so and so!", or "You are the worst person in the world because you like or do something that I don't!", etc.  I'd rather live in a world where different thoughts are welcomed and encouraged and discussed in a civil manner that focuses on the topic versus it resulting in a judgment of who a person is overall.  Some of the people that I love more than anything in this world have DRASTICALLY different views on certain topics...but you know what, our difference on a topic doesn't define who they are overall as a person, but rather only what they think about in regards to that topic.  

16 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

The controversy stems from both the wasted talent and the career path he is leaving it for...

WWE is probably the worst trash on TV-If you like it, that’s fine-but it’s still complete trash.

his talent was/is not wasted... he just won an olympic gold medal... it is the pinnacle... and he did it for the most part fairly easily... there is nowhere else to go but down... that is not wasted... that is done it and moving on... that is a huge difference as compared to "wasted"...

Pro wrestling is not even top 100 trashiest programs on tv... 

the hyperbole in your posts are amusing if nothing else...