Jrr277

Gable signs with WWE

I am about right there with your thinking.
Personally I would have preferred he honored his commitment to Minnesota, as a fan of Collegiate Wrestling.
As a person and a fan of his, I will root for him no matter his path.
I say the same sort of thing for PD3.  I want him to succeed at MMA.  Once the dust settles I am a fan of wrestlers even when they are no longer wrestling.  I do wish he wasn't such a dipstick on the social medias... Alas c'est la vie.

He is honoring his commitment to Minnesota

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

He is honoring his commitment to Minnesota

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right I know.  I just mean that was my initial stance when everyone said he was leaving.

I know that since he has iterated his intent to stay.

FWIW Minnow maintained that from the start.  Last year then developmental then WWE.

I guess when a cow $HlTs in the dark it is bound to hit the ground once in a while 

1 minute ago, BAC said:

Too ... emotional?  LOL.  Ok, pal.

It doesn't affect me at all, it just sucks for wrestling to lose one of its best for other pursuits when they haven't even reached their peak, especially when its based solely on monetary considerations.  What does annoy me is seeing so many supposed wrestling fans actually claiming that the WWE is a better choice than wrestling, straight up.  If that's the case, isn't there a WWE forum you can go to instead?

Hope you win your match tonight with the pillow cushions on your sofa with that nasty suplex of yours.

Thanks man! I hope that tomorrow your day is full of beautiful clouds moving through the sky with technical grace, stunning cars everywhere, and exhilarating highs from every interaction you have. 

Meanwhile, Gable will be living out his “childhood dream” (his words, not mine). I guess it will be hard to push your narrative that he’s chasing a quick buck now since he’s said this was always his goal. Maybe more ultra-descriptive writing about wrestling will help you cope. 

3 minutes ago, BAC said:

It doesn't affect me at all, it just sucks for wrestling to lose one of its best for other pursuits when they haven't even reached their peak, especially when its based solely on monetary considerations.  What does annoy me is seeing so many supposed wrestling fans actually claiming that the WWE is a better choice than wrestling, straight up.  If that's the case, isn't there a WWE forum you can go to instead?

Hope you win your match tonight with the pillow cushions on your sofa with that nasty suplex of yours.

parodies...

caricatures...

this thread is Shakespearean...

2 minutes ago, BAC said:

No no no, your meter is all wrong.  Haikus are 5-7-5.  Like this:

Tho I post here now

It is for a bigger dream

Accept me soon please!

i'll leave the pretentious prose to you and others...

i just enjoy all the grandstanding and the irony that is dripping off this thread...

caricatures have always been employed for comedic affect in the theatre... 

this thread is no different...

i'm chuckling now...

17 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

Why has it been so successful?  Because the best guys have stuck around in the sport for the past two cycles. If JB had left after 12 and Snyder after 16, things would not be the same.  Varner coming back for 15/16 probably even helped Snyder's development (just like JB sticking around helped Dake and Taylor).  

That's for sure a part of why we've been successful.  And that tells me were are doing something right.  The fact that one guy had goals set prior to even entering college, and is realizing those goals one by one, does not mean we're doing something wrong.  It means one guy is set on accomplishing all of his goals, and he is 2/3 of the way there. 

3 hours ago, BAC said:

This is the thread in a nutshell.

Some think wrestling's only value is to get some scholly dollars for a college degree.  Or maybe you're *real* lucky and you can get a world team stipend or sponsorship deals, or even the ultimate "promotion" -- a gig in the WWE!  Other than that, its just a senseless way of battering your body.  

Other people think wrestling is a beautiful sport and an end in its own right.  It is the ultimate one on one competition, a combat sport with technical grace, stunning to watch, exhilarating highs when you win, no one to blame but yourself when you lose, requires peak conditioning and strength, and builds a mental toughness that, as Dan Gable once said, makes the rest of life easy by comparison.

For those who see wrestling as little more than a job (and an unpleasant one at that), like LJB and the rest of the anti-wrestling crowd on this thread, I can see why Steveson's decision makes sense -- for who in their right mind would wrestle for its own sake?  Its just a path to a dollar, nothing more, so anything that pays more is, by definition, better.

For those of us who think wrestling is its own end and doesn't need monetary compensation to be worthwhile, except as is needed to live a stable life so you can continue to do what you love, Steveson's decision is gutting.  We are losing one of our best.

Who is the "anti-wrestling" crowd?

3 minutes ago, Lurker said:

That's for sure a part of why we've been successful.  And that tells me were are doing something right.  The fact that one guy had goals set prior to even entering college, and is realizing those goals one by one, does not mean we're doing something wrong.  It means one guy is set on accomplishing all of his goals, and he is 2/3 of the way there. 

take it one step further...

it is safe to assume he would not be anywhere near his real goal without wrestling and we should all stand and applaud all that wrestling has done for this athlete to realize his true dreams...

he should be the poster child for USAW, the gophers, all old men yelling at kids on their lawns...

basically everybody...

wrestling 100% worked for gable!!!! 

46 minutes ago, BAC said:

So if that's really the case, I'm with you, even if I wish his heart remained with wrestling.  But if it is more a matter of chasing the dollar -- which I think is more likely the case, given his simultaneous consideration of WWE, NFL and MMA, auctioning his life to the highest bidder -- I consider it a sell-out and a tragic waste of talent, and don't support it.  

You obviously have zero clue how negotiations and leverage work.  

45 minutes ago, BAC said:

The fact that you take people's position of "of course I'd rather see him do another cycle, but its his life and his goals, more power to him" and translating it in your own mind as people are cheering for him to leave, pushing him out the door,  shows that you are taking this very emotionally.  When you take a reality, and turn it into your own different version of reality, more often than not emotions are heavily at play.....  but you are adorable in doing so.

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

The fact that you take people's position of "of course I'd rather see him do another cycle, but its his life and his goals, more power to him" and translating it in your own mind as people are cheering for him to leave, pushing him out the door,  shows that you are taking this very emotionally.  When you take a reality, and turn it into your own different version of reality, more often than not emotions are heavily at play.....  but you are adorable in doing so.

Thank you. I thought I was living in banana land for a minute there.

What difference does it make if WWE was Gable's childhood dream? If it really was, then it (along with the money) explains Gabe's decision. But it doesn't make that decision any less disappointing for wrestling fans. If WWE is good for Gable (which as of now is unknowable) that does not mean his pursuing a career as a WWE performer is good for wrestling fans.

2 minutes ago, NJDan said:

What difference does it make if WWE was Gable's childhood dream? If it really was, then it (along with the money) explains Gabe's decision. But it doesn't make that decision any less disappointing for wrestling fans. If WWE is good for Gable (which as of now is unknowable) that does not mean his pursuing a career as a WWE performer is good for wrestling fans.

So now it’s his responsibility to do something good for you? I’d love for you to expand on that. 

10 minutes ago, NJDan said:

The problem is the wrestling fans taking a stance that what they want is more important than the individuals own personal goals.  The fact that you and others can't see that is a huge problem in our society right now.  Everyone on here crying is doing so because they feel entitled to what they want Gable to do, and if they don't get that, they are not capable of supporting his own personal goals and decisions because they would rather see him on a wrestling mat, and their crying out makes it appear as that's they way it should be since that's the way they want it.  That's the problem.  The fact that you start this post with "What difference does it make if WWE was Gable's childhood dream" says it all.

Edited by Lurker

1 minute ago, NJDan said:

this is akin to a 10 year old saying how unfair it is that someone is driving a **insert whatever vehicle was cool to you as a child or whatever guido's like now** while they are seat belted into the family wagon at a stop light...

it really does seem unfair to children...

5 minutes ago, Lurker said:

The problem is the wrestling fans taking a stance that what they want is more important than the individuals own personal goals.  The fact that you and others can't see that is a huge problem in our society right now.  Everyone on here crying is doing so because they feel entitled to what they want Gable to do, and if they don't get that, they are not capable of supporting his own personal and decisions because they would rather see him on a wrestling mat, and there crying out makes it appear as that's they way it should be since that's the way they want it.  That's the problem.  The fact that you start this post with "What difference does it make if WWE was Gable's childhood dream" says it all.

I don't see anyone who "feels entitled" to having Gable do what they want him to do. At the same time, they are not obligated to "support" his decision. Me personally, I don't know Gable. He seems like a good guy. I guess I hope he "wins" his WWE matches, tho I really don't care. I do wish he had decided to stick with wrestling or at least sports because he is really good at sports. Should Gable care what I or other fans think? No. Is WWE the wrong choice for him. My guess is yes.

2 minutes ago, NJDan said:

I don't see anyone who "feels entitled" to having Gable do what they want him to do. At the same time, they are not obligated to "support" his decision. Me personally, I don't know Gable. He seems like a good guy. I guess I hope he "wins" his WWE matches, tho I really don't care. I do wish he had decided to stick with wrestling or at least sports because he is really good at sports. Should Gable care what I or other fans think? No. Is WWE the wrong choice for him. My guess is yes.

I know you don't see it.  I already stated in the post you quoted that I know you don't see it.  And therein lies the problem.

Sleep well.

Just now, Lurker said:

I know you don't see it.  I already stated in the post you quoted that I know you don't see it.  And therein lies the problem.

Sleep well.

simple...

non effusive...

exit stage left...

curtain drops...

**applause break**

23 minutes ago, LJB said:

this is akin to a 10 year old saying how unfair it is that someone is driving a **insert whatever vehicle was cool to you as a child or whatever guido's like now** while they are seat belted into the family wagon at a stop light...

it really does seem unfair to children...

It's not like that at all. 

4 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

So, it's anathema to question another person's motives and choices . . . full stop?

it's definitely not a blessing...

but...

most children think they have it figured out looooooong before they actually do...