Sign in to follow this  
Hey Now

Darrah to Stanford?

27 minutes ago, Hey Now said:

Intermat has reported Jack Darrah (197 out of Missouri), formerly a Cornell commit, now committed to Stanford.  Would this be the first Stanford recruit of the Koll era?  And, consequently, the first Stanford recruit in over 18 months?

Nico Provo also has changed his commitment from Cornell to Stanford. Provo just graduated (and is "grayshirting" or whatever that means at Stanford), and Darrah is a HS senior.

4 hours ago, Hey Now said:

Intermat has reported Jack Darrah (197 out of Missouri), formerly a Cornell commit, now committed to Stanford.  Would this be the first Stanford recruit of the Koll era?  And, consequently, the first Stanford recruit in over 18 months?

This was reported 4 days ago on Willie's Mat Scout twitter feed:

https://twitter.com/MatScoutWillie

Scroll down a few pages till you get to his Sep 3, 2021 posts and you will see for yourself.

E-ZYU88XoAUpRcq.jpg

And the news about Nico was in this story which was written on August 31, 2021:

https://www.gfacademy.org/athletics/dragon-nation-blog/single-post-dragon-nation/~board/dragon-nation-blog/post/provo-wrestles-with-a-tough-decision-takes-talents-to-stanford

From this article:  "he’ll head to Palo Alto to start classes in September, he will not be rostered on Stanford’s team until the fall of 2022."

Edited by Bronco

8 hours ago, Hey Now said:

If he had already committed to Kohl at Cornell then followed him....is he really the first “Stanford” recruit? 

This is bad news for Cornell, but I don't think it will be the first. Rob Koll is so much more charismatic than Mike Grey. If there are kids that would have gone to Cornell, but who can also gain admission to Stanford, I see Koll getting most of them.

24 minutes ago, NJDan said:

This is bad news for Cornell, but I don't think it will be the first. Rob Koll is so much more charismatic than Mike Grey. If there are kids that would have gone to Cornell, but who can also gain admission to Stanford, I see Koll getting most of them.

Agreed on the charisma point. Disagree on the rest. Koll cannot single-handedly sway elite talent. The program itself is the main draw for those kids. The lack of a real RTC and the lack of a deep enough room is going to be very difficult to offset with personality. Many of the elite HS kids approach their college decision with the intent to use college as a springboard into freestyle. 

50 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Cornell recruits that chose to stay at Cornell (on the current roster) include (Flo rankings)

Peyton Craft:  #8 at 170 (true freshman)

Greg Diakomihalis:  #1 at 120

Cole Handlovic:  #4 at 145

Ethan Hatcher:  #5 at 220

Gage McClanahan:  #16 at 145

Julian Ramirez:  #2 at 170

Ryan Sokol: #5 at 152 (true freshman)

So, two (Provo, Darrah) switched and seven (higher-ranked) stayed?  Either Koll couldn't draw them away, or they couldn't get into Stanford (which
in itself speaks to the issues Koll might have).  Says something about your "bad news" claim.

Those are the ones for whom I could find rankings (some are 2021 grads, some are 2020 grads, and some are 2019 grads (Ramirez)).  Not
shown are those who have never wrestled for Cornell but are listed as sophomores (Cardenas, Fernandes, Foca, Saunders), and also who
have not moved with Koll and are listed on the roster.

High-level commits either grey-shirting or still in HS include Ungar, Cornella, Daniel Cardenas.

Edited by klehner

3 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Agreed on the charisma point. Disagree on the rest. Koll cannot single-handedly sway elite talent. The program itself is the main draw for those kids. The lack of a real RTC and the lack of a deep enough room is going to be very difficult to offset with personality. Many of the elite HS kids approach their college decision with the intent to use college as a springboard into freestyle. 

Is the redshirt year at the actual university (Stanford)  a draw? It lessons the work load when you can take 5  years to finish a degree.  Koll will get the RTC part up and running and I wouldn't be surprised to see some Cornell kids out there to train. The depth at Cornell would be a tough one to walk away from. It will be interesting to see what Grey does with that team. It's a crazy good lineup with a ton of potential. 

Also don’t underestimate the proximity factor for some of the east coast kids. Palo Alto is beautiful but it is a long plane ride from NY/Philly and pretty tough for parents to catch more than the occasional dual meet.

11 hours ago, NJDan said:

When I was being recruited, charisma was all that mattered. I went to a community college cuz the coach was wicked smooth. My Mom loved him.

23 hours ago, NJDan said:

When it comes to athletes, the admissions standards at Stanford are probably not much different than those of Cornell. 
Jameis Winston was accepted to Stanford.  https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/jameis-winston-regrets-not-attending-stanford

See also

https://stanfordmag.org/contents/how-to-build-a-dynasty

Stanford is the school of choice for the scholar-athlete. In the four classes entering the University from 1994 to 1997, the average freshman male athlete had logged a 3.73 high school GPA and a 1,215 SAT score, according to NCAA statistics. Female freshman athletes during the same period had a 3.87 GPA and a 1,151 SAT score. By comparison, the averages for all Division 1 schools combined were 2.97 and 997 for males and 3.29 and 1,007 for females. At Duke University, another school known for academics as well as athletics, incoming freshman male athletes had a 3.46 GPA and an SAT of 1,103, while females had a 3.51 grade-point and a 1,090 test score.

7 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Daniel Cardenas, a CO state champ who is top 5'ish ranked nationally is a Cornell commit. Are you sure it's the NJ Cardenas? That would really surprise me given Dake is there and he has FS aspirations.

I guess not. I thought the other post where I saw it was from a NJ person but in double checking it isn't necessarily so.

1 hour ago, gimpeltf said:

NJ State Champ now almost at Cornell

Doesn't being on the Cornell roster (as a sophomore) sorta indicate he's more than "almost" at Cornell?

https://cornellbigred.com/sports/wrestling/roster/jacob-cardenas/64458

(note that he's in the College of Architorture, which means he's gotta be pretty smart.  Smart enough to make Stanford a possibility, for sure)

1 minute ago, klehner said:

Doesn't being on the Cornell roster (as a sophomore) sorta indicate he's more than "almost" at Cornell?

https://cornellbigred.com/sports/wrestling/roster/jacob-cardenas/64458

(note that he's in the College of Architorture, which means he's gotta be pretty smart.  Smart enough to make Stanford a possibility, for sure)

I added the almost when I didn't see him on the 2021 roster.