Sign in to follow this  
Hey Now

Darrah to Stanford?

43 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Jacob makes a bit of sense. He had excellent grades in HS and was on the same Bergen Catholic team as Griffith. Given that school has started, you would think the transfer would've happened by now, though.

My  apologies - it's Daniel.  That's why I threw in "the younger."

1 minute ago, RED said:

My  apologies - it's Daniel.  That's why I threw in "the younger."

Thanks, and  you're forgiven. My brain farted the other day and I claimed Jacob teched Max Dean before someone corrected me (Foca did). I would think watching Yianni crush McKenna, who left Stanford for wrestling reasons, in the final match to make the world team might sway him back if your source is correct. Having Yianni (among others) to train with has to be a significant factor for a kid who aspires to be a world champ.

On 10/16/2021 at 8:30 PM, Bronco said:

Former Cornell commit Daniel Cardenas is now a Stanford commit (for 2022). Projected to compete at 157 lbs.

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/7174301-daniel-cardenas-changes-college-commitment

An athlete can’t “commit” to an Ivy League school.  The schools don’t offer athletic scholarships and athletes don’t sign national letters of intent. You apply, you get an acceptance letter, and you send in your deposit. If you are superstar wrestler and you are admitted to the school, you have no obligation to wrestle. Don’t even have to show-up for the first day of practice. Granted, being a superstar athlete will make it easier for you to get into the school, but you commit to nothing.

1 hour ago, Maximus Meridius said:

An athlete can’t “commit” to an Ivy League school.  The schools don’t offer athletic scholarships and athletes don’t sign national letters of intent. You apply, you get an acceptance letter, and you send in your deposit. If you are superstar wrestler and you are admitted to the school, you have no obligation to wrestle. Don’t even have to show-up for the first day of practice. Granted, being a superstar athlete will make it easier for you to get into the school, but you commit to nothing.

Maybe there is no technical commitment, but sure kids who are recruited may tell the coach that they intend to attend. That's a commitment. even if not enforceable by either side.

3 hours ago, Maximus Meridius said:

I am not sure what planet you are living on but here on this planet that we call Earth there are hundreds of athletes who "commit" to compete for Ivy League school every single year.

16 hours ago, Bronco said:

I am not sure what planet you are living on but here on this planet that we call Earth there are hundreds of athletes who "commit" to compete for Ivy League school every single year.

Just like there are hundreds who claim they know an athlete who is attending an Ivy League school on a full athletic scholarship—despite the fact that Ivy League schools don’t give athletic scholarships. 

16 hours ago, Bronco said:

https://ivyleague.com/sports/2017/7/28/information-psa-index.aspx
Coaches may make a commitment to support a prospective student-athlete’s application. However only the Admissions Office at each Ivy League school has the authority to admit an applicant and to notify an applicant of admission. Only formal correspondence from the Admissions Office should be considered an admissions decision. 

17 hours ago, Bronco said:

Yeah, I don't think so.  Unless by "commit" you mean "say they want to go".

1 hour ago, klehner said:

Yeah, I don't think so.  Unless by "commit" you mean "say they want to go".

I think it means that they say they will go, if admitted. 

Meanwhile, while the coach can't guaranty admission, he will have pretty good idea.

as a formal matter, athletes don't "commit" to ivies but in colloquial language, when the school and the athlete agree and publicize the intention to matriculate/wrestle it would be silly to call it something else. the greyshirt/redshirt distinction is worth making, though, since there really are not redshirts and the difference isn't superficial.

2 hours ago, dman115 said:

Okay, so according to some of you word worriers, no athlete ever commits to a college, D1, Ivy or otherwise.  <eye roll>

Yeah, I don't think so.  You never heard of the National Letter of Intent (which Ivy League schools don't use)?

http://www.nationalletter.org/aboutTheNli/index.html

The NLI is a binding agreement between a prospective student-athlete and an NLI member institution.

Hope you didn't hurt your eyeballs.

On 9/8/2021 at 1:54 PM, wrestlingnerd said:

Agreed on the charisma point. Disagree on the rest. Koll cannot single-handedly sway elite talent. The program itself is the main draw for those kids. The lack of a real RTC and the lack of a deep enough room is going to be very difficult to offset with personality. Many of the elite HS kids approach their college decision with the intent to use college as a springboard into freestyle. 

After Dake leaves for the NLWC, will Spartan still be a “real” RTC?

On 9/7/2021 at 11:50 AM, Hey Now said:

Intermat has reported Jack Darrah (197 out of Missouri), formerly a Cornell commit, now committed to Stanford.  Would this be the first Stanford recruit of the Koll era?  And, consequently, the first Stanford recruit in over 18 months?

Be a great pickup.  Met the Darrah family a few years ago down in Texas at the MW Mat Bash.  Great family.  

21 hours ago, klehner said:

Yeah, I don't think so.  You never heard of the National Letter of Intent (which Ivy League schools don't use)?

http://www.nationalletter.org/aboutTheNli/index.html

Hope you didn't hurt your eyeballs.

Hey Einstein...you are slow aren't you...you don't need a NLI to make a commitment, commitments are made all the time without a stupid piece of paper, which essentially is worthless anyway.  The term "binding" is laughable at best.

1 hour ago, dman115 said:

Hey Einstein...you are slow aren't you...you don't need a NLI to make a commitment, commitments are made all the time without a stupid piece of paper, which essentially is worthless anyway.  The term "binding" is laughable at best.

I commit to take Kate Beckinsale to this year‘s Academy Awards ceremony.  

On 10/16/2021 at 8:30 PM, Bronco said:

Former Cornell commit Daniel Cardenas is now a Stanford commit (for 2022). Projected to compete at 157 lbs.

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/7174301-daniel-cardenas-changes-college-commitment

That is a good steal. Daniel fills a hole at Stanford and he has international aspirations, so he will be active during the summers and add to the critical RTC building effort.