Mike Parrish

World Team Trials seeding

18 hours ago, rpm002 said:

I'm not saying Downey should be a high seed. .  I'm just saying that in the seeding meeting where they compared the wrestling resumes of Pat Downey and Mickey O'Malley, there is no reasonable objective criteria that would lead one to seed O'Malley higher, yet that is what they did.

My understanding is PD did not have any coach or representation at the seeding meeting, and I doubt anyone who was in there was looking to stick up for him or do him any favors.

15 hours ago, juniorvarsity said:

I see inconsistency in the seeding criteria.

It appears that 2019 results matter, but 2019 results do not matter if at a different weight than what you are competing at this weekend. 2020-2021 results matter at any weight. but they are not as important as 2019 results at the weight you are competing at this weekend.  This is the only logical way to interpret what happened in the seed meeting. 

This explains why Downey is #13 and why Dieringer is #2 - Burroughs gets #1 because he had a medal in 2019 at a different weight. He should obviosuly be the #1, but I cannot explain with a cohesive criteria since Deakin got #3. I cannot explain Suriano at #3.

I do not think I can come up with a consistent narrative to explain every weight. The reasoning above is the best I can come up with at the moment, unless someone else can shine some light on the situation for me.

So, this tournament is different right, in terms of set criteria and having a typical 12-18 month span in the previous year to draw on.  It's just different.  I would imagine there's no need to really analyze the seeding, I would be willing to bet alot of the seeding came out from the guys who were in the room just working it out, and that's how it came out.

At the end of the day, no conspiracy it is what it is.  You gotta win your bracket, then you gotta win two out of three.

Another way to interpret PD3's seed is two fold:

They wanted to anticipate not having to redraw the bracket.  That is always ideal.

They also understood that IF Downey shows up and IF he is as functional as he was at 86 when he won the spot that he SHOULD be in the quarter they placed him in.  I am really thinking that this is the biggest reason.

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

My understanding is PD did not have any coach or representation at the seeding meeting, and I doubt anyone who was in there was looking to stick up for him or do him any favors.

I would guess that they only use results from that particular weight so PD3 had no results at 79kg.

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

13 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

I would guess that they only use results from that particular weight so PD3 had no results at 79kg.

I understand both of those to be factual. 

15 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

I had thought there was criteria for results at other weights, but at the end of the day there is an element of debate in every seeding meeting, even though every seeding meeting has set criteria.

Edited by Lurker