Idaho

Anticipate Lineups for 21-22

16 hours ago, MNRodent said:

Minnesota projected lineup. (Source is theguillotine.com)

125 – Patrick McKee
133 – Jake Gliva or Vance VomBaur
141 – Marcos Polanco or Aaron Nagao or Jake Bergeland
149 – Michael Blockhus
157 – Brayton Lee
165 – Andrew Sparks
174 – Bailee O’Reilly or Jared Krattiger
184 – Isaiah Salazar
197 – Garrett Joles or Michial Foy or Rowan Morgan or Bennett Tabor
285 – Gable Steveson

This teams goal is a trophy. All in, Tabor at 197 if he can make it, I believe Bergeland can make 141 for his senior year. He is the best guy if he makes it. I would really like to see Nagao make the Oklahoma St type cut for 133 for a year

Edited by Lunaticfringe

17 hours ago, flyingcement said:

So OSU will be:

125: Malik Heinselman

133: Andre Gonzales

141: Jordan Decatur

149: Sammy Sasso

157: Paddy Gallagher

165: Carson Karchla

174: Ethan Smith

184: Kaleb Romero / Rocky Jordan

197: Gavin Hoffman

285: Tate Orndorff

???

So Echemendia is third string now?  Can we officially label him a bust?

2 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

So Echemendia is third string now?  Can we officially label him a bust?

Being honest here, I kind of see them in the same area as Minnesota and Missouri points wise. 1 true title contender with about 4 others expected to AA and another 3-4 guys who will be 7-8 place to round of 16 guys, depending on the draw. 

43 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

I'm the last person who will call someone a bust.  He certainly hasn't worked out as planned, but I am rooting for him to succeed.  

Current poster child for Folkstyle/Freestyle are different sports and harm each other. 
But yeah, coming into the lighter-weight realm with limited folkstyle experience.... tough ask. 

1 hour ago, Lunaticfringe said:

Being honest here, I kind of see them in the same area as Minnesota and Missouri points wise. 1 true title contender with about 4 others expected to AA and another 3-4 guys who will be 7-8 place to round of 16 guys, depending on the draw. 

Serious question, who is Ohio State's true title contender?  Karchla?

For Mizzou, you were referring to Keegan, right?  For Minny, you are obviously referring to Gable.

1 minute ago, ShakaAloha said:

For Mizzou, you were referring to Keegan, right?  For Minny, you are obviously referring to Gable.

I haven't read the whole thread but I'd assume he meant Sasso
Mizzou Keegan for sure, kid is a savage, if Mauller was in there I believe in him. 
Minny Gable FO SHO

1 minute ago, spladle08 said:

I haven't read the whole thread but I'd assume he meant Sasso
Mizzou Keegan for sure, kid is a savage, if Mauller was in there I believe in him. 
Minny Gable FO SHO

Sasso's not winning 149.  I'll bet anyone on here.

Yianni teched him in freestyle and is going at that weight now.  

2 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

Sasso's not winning 149.  I'll bet anyone on here.

Yianni teched him in freestyle and is going at that weight now.  

clearly they are different sports and scrambly-cradle-boy Sasso is more equipped for folkstyle. 
HOWEVER
I agree, top 4, he's a lock, but I can't see him winning it. 
Kharchla (One of my favs) I just can't see him winning the weight . 
is Romero going 84?
I'd feel all 3 of those guys have about the same odds at a title. 19.45%

5 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

clearly they are different sports and scrambly-cradle-boy Sasso is more equipped for folkstyle. 
HOWEVER
I agree, top 4, he's a lock, but I can't see him winning it. 
Kharchla (One of my favs) I just can't see him winning the weight . 
is Romero going 84?
I'd feel all 3 of those guys have about the same odds at a title. 19.45%

Agreed that Sammy is better at folk than he is at free, but he is not close to Yianni's level at any style.  If they wrestled, it might be close points-wise especially if Sammy plays defensively like he always does against other good wrestlers, but Yianni would be in control of the match the entire time.  If we're talking about Buckeyes, McKenna from 2 years ago is better than Sasso imo.

I think Karcha has the best chance of him Romero and Sasso, as we already know what the other two are capable of.  Assuming he is fully healthy, Karchla is the only one of those three with a win over a former NCAA champ, granted he beat Mekhi in free.  I'm also not convinced that going at 184 is good for Romero.  Also, is Tom really going to sit Romero or Jordan on the bench?

1 minute ago, ShakaAloha said:

Agreed that Sammy is better at folk than he is at free, but he is not close to Yianni's level at any style.  If they wrestled, it might be close points-wise especially if Sammy plays defensively like he always does against other good wrestlers, but Yianni would be in control of the match the entire time.  If we're talking about Buckeyes, McKenna from 2 years ago is better than Sasso imo.

I think Karcha has the best chance of him Romero and Sasso, as we already know what the other two are capable of.  Assuming he is fully healthy, Karchla is the only one of those three with a win over a former NCAA champ, granted he beat Mekhi in free.  I'm also not convinced that going at 184 is good for Romero.  Also, is Tom really going to sit Romero or Jordan on the bench?

No offense to Romero, but he is an expert "Staller" 
And the heavier you go, the easier it becomes to "Stall", as offense becomes more and more limited. 
84 has a lot of talent but if he's strong enough, his overall athleticism gets him to the top 4.  

28 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

No offense to Romero, but he is an expert "Staller" 
And the heavier you go, the easier it becomes to "Stall", as offense becomes more and more limited. 
84 has a lot of talent but if he's strong enough, his overall athleticism gets him to the top 4.  

He can't beat Jordan, though.

He couldn't beat a sucked out fully gassed Jordan last year.  In-shape Jordan isn't losing to him either.

2 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

Sasso has already been a finalist so yes he’s a title contender. Kharchla hasn’t proven he can remain healthy for a season as of yet. Can he wrestle 7 minutes hard against top guys? He has a lot to prove to me right now. 

OToole is Missouri’s guy, Elams and Mauller could be top 4 as well.

Gable for sure, Braxton Lee could get himself into the convo as well as McKee being a potential finalist if he is consistent. The past 2 seasons he’s beaten practically everyone but he has a ton of head scratching losses.

Current poster child for Folkstyle/Freestyle are different sports and harm each other. 
But yeah, coming into the lighter-weight realm with limited folkstyle experience.... tough ask. 

That, or he’s the current poster child for “a guy in his 20s beats up on high schoolers; tens shocked”.

The current version of Echemendia doesn’t get to the legs of a guy like Eierman, Yianni or Lee unless they make a serious mistake, or unless Eierman lets him in on purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That, or he’s the current poster child for “a guy in his 20s beats up on high schoolers; tens shocked”.

The current version of Echemendia doesn’t get to the legs of a guy like Eierman, Yianni or Lee unless they make a serious mistake, or unless Eierman lets him in on purpose.

Let's be clear on 3 things. .

1.) Yainni's legs are easier to touch than that girl from highschool.

2.) birth certificate haters are ridiculous.

3.) Taking an average freestyler from Cuba and watching him dominate American freestyle but struggle in folk. Is like taking the 25th ranked HIghschool folkstyler and sending him to Russia to compete in freestyle.

If they had a Folkstyle nationals in the summer he would impress everyone but when it came to "real wrestling" for that community, he'd be clearly behind.

(He simply didn't grow up on folkstyle and everyone from 149 down is a lifetime folk- murderer*)

9 hours ago, Lunaticfringe said:

This teams goal is a trophy. All in, Tabor at 197 if he can make it, I believe Bergeland can make 141 for his senior year. He is the best guy if he makes it. I would really like to see Nagao make the Oklahoma St type cut for 133 for a year

I agree that Nagao and Bergeland may be the best combination at 133-141 if they can hold the weight.  Michial Foy looked very good today and might be the guy for 197.

3 minutes ago, MNRodent said:

I agree that Nagao and Bergeland may be the best combination at 133-141 if they can hold the weight.  Michial Foy looked very good today and might be the guy for 197.

Do you have results from tonights Minny wrestle-offs? Interested in how Drew Roberts did at 149. 

1 minute ago, Idaho said:

Do you have results from tonights Minny wrestle-offs? Interested in how Drew Roberts did at 149. 

They weren't wrestle-offs.  Just practice matches with no ref, scoring, or out of bounds marks, and one running clock for everyone.

Roberts, I believe wrestled Blockhus first and I think Theo Cha second.  He looked solid.

Is he? If you can’t build a solid lead by playing catch and release against ***Jordan Decatur***, he’s not some transcendent FS master who just hasn’t learned Folk.

He scored three (3) points against Decatur.

14 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

He's a capable wrestler...

18 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

just gone straight to an RTC.

He hasn't competed ten times since he's been to CBUS and that includes two FS matches and two wrestle offs. (Not looking to make any point.)

He hasn't competed ten times since he's been to CBUS and that includes two FS matches and two wrestle offs. (Not looking to make any point.)
I don't have a valid rebuttal but I do hold the unrealistic opinion that he was ahead of the curve based on his freestyle exposure.
And now he is trying to catch up in American schooling and wrestling and it's hindering his freestyle development, while expecting him to catch up to elite folkstylers is a little unrealistic .