4 minutes ago, ionel said:

Iowa has a new business model: straight from college wrestling to social security.  

With the way our country is working, they won't have Social Security to pull from by the time they leave school.  Poor form, Brands Bros.

36 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

With Eierman and Lugo pulling out of WTT the HWC has now sent a single wrestler to the combined OTT/WTT this year.

If you are an Iowa fan does this worry you?

The only thing to worry about is NCAA championships. Nothing else matters. NOTHING.

Yikes.  If Covid related (I have no idea), I’d consider this just a weird sign of the times.  If not - this is shocking.  I think of Iowa as a true feeder into the senior circuit. 

What’s the situation?  Why the drop off?  I bet this has been discussed.  Anyone have a decently objective summary?

13 minutes ago, nom said:

Yikes.  If Covid related (I have no idea), I’d consider this just a weird sign of the times.  If not - this is shocking.  I think of Iowa as a true feeder into the senior circuit. 

What’s the situation?  Why the drop off?  I bet this has been discussed.  Anyone have a decently objective summary?

I can only think of three competitors off the top of my head that have made recent impacts - Gilman, Lee, Sammy Brooks. I'm probably missing a very "oh yeah, duhh" person but are there any other recent standouts on the senior circuit that I'm missing over the last, say, 5 years? Kemerer, Warner, and Stoll (inj.) were the blue chips with a valid shot at developing and they appear very far from taking a leap to be competitive on the senior circuit.

I don't think it's that surprising. The HWC guys are almost entirely still in college, and Iowa wants to make sure they cram as many championships as possible into their current window where they are the favorite. Training for the trials and potentially sending a starter to Norway at the beginning of the season does not fit with that plan. All those guys will be done with NCAA wrestling in March and can shift focus to making the 2022 team.

I can only think of three competitors off the top of my head that have made recent impacts - Gilman, Lee, Sammy Brooks. I'm probably missing a very "oh yeah, duhh" person but are there any other recent standouts on the senior circuit that I'm missing over the last, say, 5 years? Kemerer, Warner, and Stoll (inj.) were the blue chips with a valid shot at developing and they appear very far from taking a leap to be competitive on the senior circuit.

Dan Dennis?

2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

With Eierman and Lugo pulling out of WTT the HWC has now sent a single wrestler to the combined OTT/WTT this year.

If you are an Iowa fan does this worry you?

yes. Seeing the NLWC all over these events with Iowa being non existent is a recruiting nightmare. 

It felt like the NLWC was involved in like 1/4 of the bouts at the Olympics.  Like a home dual meet or something and their coaching staff and training partners were everywhere.  Iowa is not even participating in the qualifying events.

2 hours ago, headshuck said:

Tony Ramos probably isn’t recent enough.

2 hours ago, Yellow_Medal said:

Dan Dennis?

Ah I knew I should have said 5 years! Two big swing and misses on my part. Somehow 2016 feels like it was two decades ago.

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/lugo-jayden-out-of-wtt.367014/

Iowa fans are onboard with the Hawks skipping international/FS events to focus on NCAAs solely:

Grip220

Grip220

HR All-American

I personally want JE along with every other Hawk on the roster to worry about this season anyway.
I Would like to have seen Lugo there, I’m sure there is a good reason and I’m also sure it may not be a good enough reason for some.

Grip220

Grip220

HR All-American

That's kind of why I'm pissed off. 1 guy went to Olympic trials, he didn't win a match. 0 guys are going to WTT's. I don't like it. We may have the best college wrestling team right now, but if we want to remain in contention we better start competing at and doing well in the international competition.
The NCAA’s are more important than the WTT this year. The HWC will be making noise for years to come.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

The NCAA’s are more important than the WTT this year. The HWC will be making noise for years to come.

They put all their eggs in one (dang good) basket and he has three blown ACLs to show for it. Who exactly is going to make noise? Kemerer? Marinelli? Cassioppi? Murin? Lugo?

2 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

HWC has to be broke.  Only plausible explanation for having zero marquis wrestlers and sending the women packing.   Saving up for Spencer Lee sponsorship?  This will impact recruiting ambitious athletes.

Why did you run away from the other thread about Spencer Lee?

Eierman makes sense if you want him to be fully focused on folk but why did he register in the first place then? 

Obviously, we don't know the real reason (obviously hope they're both healthy first and foremost) but this does seem odd both pulled out (especially since Lugo has no folk to prepare for)