Jump to content

Recommended Posts

54 minutes ago, Class said:

The funny thing is Eierman is explaining his absence and missing the point that the entire club has been MIA all year.  Like an injury is the explanation.

He actually addressed that directly by pointing out that they have two guys on U23 team. They also sent a bunch of their youngsters to Juniors. They only had 2 true senior level guys on their roster and they both competed in the Olympic trials process. 

This whole thing is so overblown. Brooks competed at OTT's.  Lugo was up 8-0 at last chance and pinned himself. Clark got hurt again and retired. Sorensen has cancer. Gilman left. Spencer got hurt. Eierman chose not to go to last chance a week after NCAA's but wrestled at and won senior nationals. Cassioppi made the finals at senior nationals and is on the u23 team, Myles Wilson is on the U23 team, etc...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

He actually addressed that directly by pointing out that they have two guys on U23 team. They also sent a bunch of their youngsters to Juniors. They only had 2 true senior level guys on their roster and they both competed in the Olympic trials process. 

This whole thing is so overblown. Brooks competed at OTT's.  Lugo was up 8-0 at last chance and pinned himself. Clark got hurt again and retired. Sorensen has cancer. Gilman left. Spencer got hurt. Eierman chose not to go to last chance a week after NCAA's but wrestled at and won senior nationals. Cassioppi made the finals at senior nationals and is on the u23 team, Myles Wilson is on the U23 team, etc...

Most of their college starters are too old for U23, making them "true senior level guys."  Spencer turns 23 next month, DeSanto is also 23 next month, Eierman is 25, Kaleb turns 24 in November, Marinelli is 23, and Kemerer will be 25 this year.  Murin, Nelson Brands, Warner, and Cass are the only starters that are U23 eligible and they all turn 22 this year.  

The issue most people have with Iowa is that the Brands Bros have manipulated the starters' eligibility so they have an entire team of senior level aged guys beating up on college aged kids from other schools, and then these same senior level aged guys don't enter the tournaments to compete against guys their own age.

Edited by ShakaAloha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

They put all their eggs in one (dang good) basket and he has three blown ACLs to show for it. Who exactly is going to make noise? Kemerer? Marinelli? Cassioppi? Murin? Lugo?

Ummm, one was pre college.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

Most of their college starters are too old for U23, making them "true senior level guys."  Spencer turns 23 next month, DeSanto is also 23 next month, Eierman is 25, Kaleb turns 24 in November, Marinelli is 23, and Kemerer will be 25 this year.  Murin, Nelson Brands, Warner, and Cass are the only starters that are U23 eligible and they all turn 22 this year.  

The issue most people have with Iowa is that the Brands Bros have manipulated the starters' eligibility so they have an entire team of senior level aged guys beating up on college aged kids from other schools, and then these same senior level aged guys don't enter the tournaments to compete against guys their own age.

Manipulated starter's eligibility?  We are not talking about a Micic or a Vito or a Beard.  Most of these Iowa wrestlers are "old" because of the Covid year, not greyshirting or Olympic redshirting.  Yes, Kemerer and Eierman are exceptions, but you are going to find exceptions like that on most top teams especially the greyshirters of the world.  It is going to be incrasingly common over the next several years.  It just so happens that Iowa has a lot of guys who are seniors.  Some never even took a standard redshirt.

I think the Covid year did most of the "manipulating."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the consensus is that they are only allowed to have freestyle aspirations Frosh?

Edit: Minnow had me rolling last night.  Immediately after someone pointed out that Eiermani and Lego weren't listed on the registrant list he went BAT$HlT with the memes.

Was great.

Edited by nhs67

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

Most of their college starters are too old for U23, making them "true senior level guys."  Spencer turns 23 next month, DeSanto is also 23 next month, Eierman is 25, Kaleb turns 24 in November, Marinelli is 23, and Kemerer will be 25 this year.  Murin, Nelson Brands, Warner, and Cass are the only starters that are U23 eligible and they all turn 22 this year.  

The issue most people have with Iowa is that the Brands Bros have manipulated the starters' eligibility so they have an entire team of senior level aged guys beating up on college aged kids from other schools, and then these same senior level aged guys don't enter the tournaments to compete against guys their own age.

This just displays either your stupidity or bias. There's no manipulation going on. Kemerer got an injury year (same as Cassar and many others btw). Everybody else just got the extra covid year just like every other wrestler in the country. Unless your claim is that the Brands brothers created covid?

As for your first paragraph, almost just as stupid. A "true senior level guy" is someone who only wrestles at the senior level. Every guy you listed is on the college roster. They have 5 months of making weight and wrestling almost every week coming up with the college season. The average senior level guy only makes weight and wrestles a few times a year. Equating the two is just stupid. You can probably most of PSU's youngsters to take their extra year as well. The only difference between the two programs is that Iowa had a lineup of upper classmen at the time covid happened. 

I hope to see you have this same energy when PSU has Starocci, Brooks, Beard, Howard, Bartlett, Kerk, etc... take advantage of their extra eligibility too.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's incredible, but unsurprising, that fanatical Iowa haters seamlessly transition back and forth between the claim that Brands doesn't let his guys compete enough AND he runs them into the ground. You have to pick one knuckleheads. 

Same goofballs in this thread complaining that someone doesn't wrestle freestyle would be the ones claiming he wrestled too much if he did and then got hurt during the season. We already get this all the time during the college season. People claimed the Brands were too hard on their guys and they faded late in the season, but then scream "DUCK!" every time a starter isn't in the lineup.

The participation of Cassioppi (and several other guys on the team) in just about every offseason tournament possible should end this stupid narrative. It's pretty clear that it's left up to the individual athletes.

In regards to Spencer, the only freestyle season he "skipped" was after his freshman year. He was coming off of a year of ACL rehab and his first college season. I'm pretty sure I remember him saying in an interview at the time that he hadn't had a summer to just relax and train since junior high since he was always on the world team. He deserved the break. The next year, he tore his ACL in the finals against Mueller, so no freestyle. The next year covid, so no freestyle. This year he got hurt again in the postseason. It's not some grand conspiracy to keep him out. He even wrestled in the open during the college season (which people still found a way to complain about at the time).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, AHamilton said:

Manipulated starter's eligibility?  We are not talking about a Micic or a Vito or a Beard.  Most of these Iowa wrestlers are "old" because of the Covid year, not greyshirting or Olympic redshirting.  Yes, Kemerer and Eierman are exceptions, but you are going to find exceptions like that on most top teams especially the greyshirters of the world.  It is going to be incrasingly common over the next several years.  It just so happens that Iowa has a lot of guys who are seniors.  Some never even took a standard redshirt.

I think the Covid year did most of the "manipulating."

The difference between guys like Vito, Micic, and Fix versus the Iowa starters is that Vito, Micic, and Fix all regularly wrestle on the senior level for freestyle (in addition to college) whereas the Iowa guys only wrestle against college competition.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

This just displays either your stupidity or bias. There's no manipulation going on. Kemerer got an injury year (same as Cassar and many others btw). Everybody else just got the extra covid year just like every other wrestler in the country. Unless your claim is that the Brands brothers created covid?

As for your first paragraph, almost just as stupid. A "true senior level guy" is someone who only wrestles at the senior level. Every guy you listed is on the college roster. They have 5 months of making weight and wrestling almost every week coming up with the college season. The average senior level guy only makes weight and wrestles a few times a year. Equating the two is just stupid. You can probably most of PSU's youngsters to take their extra year as well. The only difference between the two programs is that Iowa had a lineup of upper classmen at the time covid happened. 

I hope to see you have this same energy when PSU has Starocci, Brooks, Beard, Howard, Bartlett, Kerk, etc... take advantage of their extra eligibility too.

 

So Gable Steveson is not a true senior level guy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ShakaAloha said:

The difference between guys like Vito, Micic, and Fix versus the Iowa starters is that Vito, Micic, and Fix all regularly wrestle on the senior level for freestyle (in addition to college) whereas the Iowa guys only wrestle against college competition.  

i guess you forgot about vito, micic, and fix's contemporary that hangs out in iowa...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

This just displays either your stupidity or bias. There's no manipulation going on. Kemerer got an injury year (same as Cassar and many others btw). Everybody else just got the extra covid year just like every other wrestler in the country. Unless your claim is that the Brands brothers created covid?

As for your first paragraph, almost just as stupid. A "true senior level guy" is someone who only wrestles at the senior level. Every guy you listed is on the college roster. They have 5 months of making weight and wrestling almost every week coming up with the college season. The average senior level guy only makes weight and wrestles a few times a year. Equating the two is just stupid. You can probably most of PSU's youngsters to take their extra year as well. The only difference between the two programs is that Iowa had a lineup of upper classmen at the time covid happened. 

I hope to see you have this same energy when PSU has Starocci, Brooks, Beard, Howard, Bartlett, Kerk, etc... take advantage of their extra eligibility too.

 

Obviously, the Brands Bros did not create covid.  Guys like Eierman and Kemerer would be old for college even if there was no free covid year of eligibility.  Those 2 should move on and wrestle guys their own age, which is senior freestyle.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, jchapman said:

So Gable Steveson is not a true senior level guy?

It's not about how good you are. It's about time commitments. So no, I wouldn't include Gable in that list because he still has to balance senior level stuff with college wrestling as long as he keeps doing that. The better way to put it would "exclusively senior level guy."

There's a reason why senior level guys don't voluntarily wrestle 20-30 matches over a few months with scratch weigh ins every week. It's hard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

Obviously, the Brands Bros did not create covid.  Guys like Eierman and Kemerer would be old for college even if there was no free covid year of eligibility.  Those 2 should move on and wrestle guys their own age, which is senior freestyle.  

Eierman took an olympic shirt before he came to Iowa and Kemerer missed a year for injury. He expected to be done last year. Nobody foresaw the covid situation and acting like Iowa wrestlers taking advantage of their free year when 90% of the rest of the country is too is ridiculous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, uncle bernard said:

It's incredible, but unsurprising, that fanatical Iowa haters seamlessly transition back and forth between the claim that Brands doesn't let his guys compete enough AND he runs them into the ground. You have to pick one knuckleheads. 

 

Heads Iowa is the devil, Tails Iowa should be abolished.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, uncle bernard said:

It's incredible, but unsurprising, that fanatical Iowa haters seamlessly transition back and forth between the claim that Brands doesn't let his guys compete enough AND he runs them into the ground. You have to pick one knuckleheads. 

Um why? You can burn em out just training. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

Um why? You can burn em out just training. 

The Brands have spoken publicly several times over the last couple years about adjusting their approach to season workload. Them holding guys out of duals is pretty strong evidence that they aren't working guys to the bone all season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

Obviously, the Brands Bros did not create covid.  Guys like Eierman and Kemerer would be old for college even if there was no free covid year of eligibility.  Those 2 should move on and wrestle guys their own age, which is senior freestyle.  

The "they should move on" argument has never made any sense to me. Why should they move on? They are still eligible. They have broken no eligibility rules, nor have they manipulated any. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

The "they should move on" argument has never made any sense to me. Why should they move on? They are still eligible. They have broken no eligibility rules, nor have they manipulated any. 

ShakaAloha believes they should move on because they wrestle for Iowa. That's the extent of his reasoning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

This just displays either your stupidity or bias. There's no manipulation going on. Kemerer got an injury year (same as Cassar and many others btw). Everybody else just got the extra covid year just like every other wrestler in the country. Unless your claim is that the Brands brothers created covid?

As for your first paragraph, almost just as stupid. A "true senior level guy" is someone who only wrestles at the senior level. Every guy you listed is on the college roster. They have 5 months of making weight and wrestling almost every week coming up with the college season. The average senior level guy only makes weight and wrestles a few times a year. Equating the two is just stupid. You can probably most of PSU's youngsters to take their extra year as well. The only difference between the two programs is that Iowa had a lineup of upper classmen at the time covid happened. 

I hope to see you have this same energy when PSU has Starocci, Brooks, Beard, Howard, Bartlett, Kerk, etc... take advantage of their extra eligibility too.

 

Their posts will not age well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...