Jrr277

Gable returning for senior year

"The 21-year-old signed a NIL deal with WWE that will allow him to attend the University of Minnesota for his senior year and defend the Division I national championship at heavyweight. WWE will set up a remote training facility for Steveson near campus where he'll learn the finer points of in-ring work with WWE coaches."

ESPN article

How is he going to maintain his amateur status given that he has signed with an organization that calls itself professional wrestling and plans to train at their centers? Can college basketball players now get payed as professional basketball players (for comparison sake let’s say for a performance game like the Harlem globetrotters or And1?) For the lawyers here, why isn’t this beyond the scope of the NIL ruling?

15 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

How is he going to maintain his amateur status given that he has signed with an organization that calls itself professional wrestling and plans to train at their centers? Can college basketball players now get payed as professional basketball players (for comparison sake let’s say for a performance game like the Harlem globetrotters or And1?) For the lawyers here, why isn’t this beyond the scope of the NIL ruling?

I think it's OK since WWE, whatever its name, is not the same sport. In the same way, Elway (and others) played professional baseball while retaining his amateur status for football.

Edited by NJDan

14 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

I'm a little curious about this myself, however the WWE is a pretty big company so although NIL is new I'm sure their lawyers know what they're doing.

The ESPN article specifically says it's an NIL deal, and only says "he'll have access to the WWE Performance Center" and "After Gable Steveson graduates in May, his multiyear talent contract with WWE will begin; he'll be a full-time performer with the company (but also appear on WWE programming during the school year)."

So I don't think college players playing in the NBA is a fair comparison.  More like an Oklahoma State basketball player appearing in a commercial for the Oklahoma City Thunder or something like that, which I presume would be allowed under NIL.

https://www.espn.com/wwe/story/_/id/32177038/gable-steveson-olympic-wrestling-gold-medalist-signs-multi-year-deal-wwe

4 hours ago, NJDan said:

I think it's OK since WWR, whatever its name, is not the same sport. In the same way, Elway (and others) played professional baseball while retaining his amateur status for football.

Agreed. Especially since WWE isn't a sport at all.

What's happening is more similar to if Gable signed a deal to perform on Broadway after he graduated.

11 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

What's happening is more similar to if Gable signed a deal to perform on Broadway after he graduated.

Or if while wrestling in college takes a summer job as a rodeo clown.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

44 minutes ago, ionel said:

Or if while wrestling in college takes a summer job as a rodeo clown.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's close... except a rodeo clown's job isn't really entertainment, it's very much about protecting the bull riders. What those dudes do is insanely brave.

636135464647991273-Rutkowski1.jpg?width=

8 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

They have admitted as much in legal proceedings.  It is more like he is taking a job as a stuntman or actor (good example with Broadway) than an athlete.

Edited by AHamilton

1 hour ago, AHamilton said:

They have admitted as much in legal proceedings.  It is more like he is taking a job as a stuntman or actor (good example with Broadway) than an athlete.

I'm also not sure if he'll even be "performing" before he graduates...