Jrr277

Gable returning for senior year

2 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Globetrotters-- yes, I think. Gymnastics are routines. But there is no script determining who wins.

Sorry, to be clear. I’m not talking about gymnastics competitions. There are also gymnastics performances where gymnasts go on tour and entertain crowds with acrobatics. It’s not a sport, but a scripted form of entertainment that NCAA gymnasts have been unable to be paid to do. Kind of like “ice dancing.” 

57 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

So NCAA athletes should be able to enter the draft (like hockey) and also sign guaranteed professional contracts with an NIL portion and then paid competition that kicks in once they turn pro? 

The NCAA does not ban them from entering the draft. The individual leagues do that. And the leagues themselves would not waste a draft pick on a future project unless everyone in the lrague is doing it or the individual is so compelling like Steveson.

I know you want someone to agree with you, but I just son't.

Edited by Wrestleknownothing

2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

The NCAA does not ban them from entering the draft. The individual leagues do that. And the leagues themselves would not waste a draft pick on a future project unless everyone in the lrague is doing it or the individual is so compelling like Steveson.

You’re flat out wrong. NHL does draft athletes who compete in college, but they are not signed until they turn pro. I’m saying can they now sign a contract similar to the one Gable signed if they do NIL appearances while in college and then compete after?

28 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

You’re flat out wrong. NHL does draft athletes who compete in college, but they are not signed until they turn pro. I’m saying can they now sign a contract similar to the one Gable signed if they do NIL appearances while in college and then compete after?

Sure, why not?

2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Sure, why not?

Because if you sign a guaranteed pro contract for post graduation, you can take out a loan against those future earnings. In effect, you can get paid while still in college for future pro earnings.  If that is going to start happening, they might as well remove all rules regarding amateur status and just let anyone compete in college for as long as they want. 

24 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Because if you sign a guaranteed pro contract for post graduation, you can take out a loan against those future earnings. In effect, you can get paid while still in college for future pro earnings.  If that is going to start happening, they might as well remove all rules regarding amateur status and just let anyone compete in college for as long as they want. 

You are assuming there are guarantees. And perhaps in Steveson's case there are. But I have to believe there are also protections for WWE in cases like injuries that prevent completion of the contract. More likely is there is some base that is a minority of the contract value with all kinds of incentives. These things would make it hard to borrow against the contract in a meaningful way. More likely is the athlete would purchase an insurance policy against things that may cause him to not be able to cash in on the pro contract.

And you answered your own question. If you stayed in college you wouldn't start getting paid. You would then default on your loan. These things are self correcting.

A more interesting concept is the idea of selling future earnings. There is a former baseball player who has a business where he makes cash payments to minor leaguers in exchange for a percentage of their major league earning, if they ever make it to the majors. It is like a venture capital play. Make a lot of diversified bets knowing that the vast majority will be money losers, but a few will make you vast sums. I think Fernando Tatis Jr. signed one of those deals and now owes something like $25 or $30 million to the investor.

Edited by Wrestleknownothing

I personally think Gable should pass on his folkstyle this year and form a committee, for the possibility of running for President of USA. Adam Coon would make a fine choice for VP. There would be many choices for picking a cabinet team. Dake secretary of the interior.  J.B. secretary of state, I mean just think about it, all the possibilities here. You guys can fill in the blanks for other cabinet positions. After one term then WWE. kind of makes more sense. 

35 minutes ago, southend said:

I personally think Gable should pass on his folkstyle this year and form a committee, for the possibility of running for President of USA. Adam Coon would make a fine choice for VP. There would be many choices for picking a cabinet team. Dake secretary of the interior.  J.B. secretary of state, I mean just think about it, all the possibilities here. You guys can fill in the blanks for other cabinet positions. After one term then WWE. kind of makes more sense. 

Shouldn't Coon be the Secretary of Education and the Director of NASA? I have seen that Julie Louis Dreyfus documentary about being Veep and Coon just seems too valuable for that.

The most popular wrestler the last 10 years needs a placement. David the superstar Taylor! I’m thinking treasury department. 
Can you imagine how great this country would be, being run by the wrestling community. All the common sense/ brain power. I mean even some of us posters might luck into a Cush position with Steveson running the show. Where could PD3 be placed? Defense secretary?

On 9/11/2021 at 2:31 PM, Wrestleknownothing said:

Larry Bird was drafted 6th overall by the Celtics in 1978, but finished up his career at Indiana St  in 1979.  Probably a wise decision for the Celtics to draft him a year early.

3 minutes ago, Bozak2018 said:

Larry Bird was drafted 6th overall by the Celtics in 1978, but finished up his career at Indiana St  in 1979.  Probably a wise decision for the Celtics to draft him a year early.

yep, I think he qualifies in the "so compelling" exception. Any idea if that still can happen? There have been so many rule changes it is hard to keep up.

5 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

yep, I think he qualifies in the "so compelling" exception. Any idea if that still can happen? There have been so many rule changes it is hard to keep up.

Nope, don't believe it can.

Wasn't there someone on here arguing insensibly about how WWE was nothing like college wrestling and it was a terrible idea for Gable to do it because there is no logical cross-over use of skills...I believe "waste of talent" comment was made?  And isn't the same person now claiming he shouldn't be able to sign a contract with the WWE and wrestle in college because it would be the same as a college baseball players signing with an MLB team??  There is a lot of talking out of both sides of ones mouth (or other part of their anatomy) that happens on here but I am not sure I have seen something so blatant.  One may start to think people like to just argue and really don't have a point??