Jump to content

Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, nom said:

Because they feel the cut to 65kg will be hard.

Just a wild guess though.  I bet there is a completely different answer.

But haven't they both been doing that cut for years? Maybe they figure that they can still win a non-Olympic weight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Crash said:

JO said that he and his coaches believe the best chance of staying healthy long enough to make a run at 2024 is at 70KG (until 2024 of course—-assuming same weights).

Zain is ducking Destribats.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have long thought your anti-Zain shtick was tired and immature, but that is funny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Is there any question about why we didn't qualify 65kg for Tokyo; today's match or borefest between J.O. and Retherford is proof. Oliver runs the whole time and Zain can't seem to close the deal, make adjustments, whatever it takes to win. Look at Jordan's right hand the last minute and a half- fingers are spread to invite Zain to interlock fingers (after Zain was warned earlier), like setting a trap. The guy is savvy; check out how he beat Yanni at OT, but it didn't work for the last qualifier in Asia. He scored the only takedown in the match to qualify, but stepped out of bounds and put on the clock twice to lose 3-2 (if I recall correctly). And he'll never change the same tactics; saw same back-up style as an OSU freshman. I've always felt Zain was our best hope, but now it's Yanni imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, fullnelson said:

 Is there any question about why we didn't qualify 65kg for Tokyo; today's match or borefest between J.O. and Retherford is proof. Oliver runs the whole time and Zain can't seem to close the deal, make adjustments, whatever it takes to win. Look at Jordan's right hand the last minute and a half- fingers are spread to invite Zain to interlock fingers (after Zain was warned earlier), like setting a trap. The guy is savvy; check out how he beat Yanni at OT, but it didn't work for the last qualifier in Asia. He scored the only takedown in the match to qualify, but stepped out of bounds and put on the clock twice to lose 3-2 (if I recall correctly). And he'll never change the same tactics; saw same back-up style as an OSU freshman. I've always felt Zain was our best hope, but now it's Yanni imo.

What a snooze fest that match was. I would put Nick Lee in the conversation with Yianni Diakomihalis too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

What a snooze fest that match was. I would put Nick Lee in the conversation with Yianni Diakomihalis too.

Yeah, me too. The conversation goes like this: 

--Yianni will beat Lee.

--Yup, that's right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NJDan said:

Yeah, me too. The conversation goes like this: 

--Yianni will beat Lee.

--Yup, that's right.

I forgot to include McKenna in the conversation. A mistake I think a lot of us have made.

McKenna just keeps making incremental gains. Nothing flashy, no big jumps, but he just keeps getting better. 

As for Lee v Diakomihalis, I will take Lee for the repeat. Lee showed he can score on anyone in their last match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

What a snooze fest that match was. I would put Nick Lee in the conversation with Yianni Diakomihalis too.

Maybe it will go:

--Why is Nick Lee  not at the WTT?

--He is ducking Yianni.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Even you don't believe that.

Well, I was busting balls, but seems like it might be true. 

Also, I don't put much stock in consi results. The goal of the OTT was to make the team. Yianni was razor close to doing so. What happened after that is irrelevant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

What is kinda funny is that Yianni has ducked Nick Lee once in the past. Third place match. Maybe he knew what was coming to him as Nick drilled him the one time they mat after that. 

Huh. I thought the one time they met was at the OTT third place match. No duck.

Also,  maybe it's unfair to say that Lee was ducking Yianni this weekend. He might have been ducking McKenna or Dean Heil or Pletcher. 

Edited by NJDan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Huh. I thought the one time they met was at the OTT third place match. No duck.

When Nick Lee pounded on Yianni that is the one time they actually wrestled. Then there was the other time where they were in the consi semi and scheduled that Yianni took a powder. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Huh. I thought the one time they met was at the OTT third place match. No duck.

Also,  maybe it's unfair to say that Lee was ducking Yianni this weekend. He might have been ducking McKenna or Dean Heil or Pletcher. 

2019 Senior Nationals.

And I have heard this Yianni didn't care argument before, but don't put much credence in it. If he didn't care about making the national team (and the money and match opportunities it involves) why did he step on the mat? After all, in the same scenario at 2019 Senior Nationals he did not step on the mat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

2019 Senior Nationals.

And I have heard this Yianni didn't care argument before, but don't put much credence in it. If he didn't care about making the national team (and the money and match opportunities it involves) why did he step on the mat? After all, in the same scenario at 2019 Senior Nationals he did not step on the mat.

Don't know about this. But I do know that in Yianni's first two NCAA tournaments, he won. In Lee's first two, he took 5th, doing well in consis. Maybe Yianni wrestles to win tournaments and has little interest in the consis when he cannot win. 

I would agree that Lee belongs in the discussion about who is likely to win consis.

Edited by NJDan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I would have liked to see Lee wrestle in this event. As far as J.O. and Zain are concerned, I think that the road forward for both of them is pretty cloudy. I wouldn’t be all that surprised if we saw them retire from competition. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, NJDan said:

Don't know about this. But I do know that in Yianni's first two NCAA tournaments, he won. In Lee's first two, he took 5th, doing well in consis. Maybe Yianni wrestles to win tournaments and has little interest in the consis when he cannot win. 

I would agree that Lee belongs in the discussion about who is likely to win consis.

Must be hard living in a world you believe to be static only to have it keep changing on you.

I also like your approach to data. Anything that is uncomfortable or failing to prove your point shall be ignored.

"Lee won last time in a head to head and Diakomihalis failed to take the mat in their last head to head prior to that? Oh yeah, but what about the time before that and the time before that?"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Must be hard living in a world you believe to be static only to have it keep changing on you.

I also like your approach to data. Anything that is uncomfortable or failing to prove your point shall be ignored.

"Lee won last time in a head to head and Diakomihalis failed to take the mat in their last head to head prior to that? Oh yeah, but what about the time before that and the time before that?"

 

He’s not part of the generation that approves of “all that data & analytics crap. I just trust my gut.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...