gowrestle

Hanging On Too Long

6 hours ago, nom said:

It is a harsh but somewhat fair point.  A real sacrifice is being made regarding earnings power and saving for future goals.  

An example - Compound growth of savings in a retirement account (with regular contributions) can have a shockingly big difference if compare the growth over 30 years vs perhaps 35-40 years.  (This assumes the wrestler could get a job that pays enough.  Getting matching contributions to a 401k or building time in role for a DB plan would be further missed opportunity).

The point about doing further damage on your body is also a reasonable one to make.   It is a real trade off that needs to be considered.

My guess is that these guys probably do consider these concerns but prioritize them differently.  There are lots of folks that are wired that way.  I have never understood people that enjoy recreational activities that can kill you, but love watching surfers hit the bonzai pipeline or those videos of the people in flying squirrel outfits. And just how old are those that.are being discussed? 30?  I must say though, I am always amazed to see Dan Vallimont in the field but I do respect that he is still out there getting after it.

2 hours ago, mspart said:

Are we thinking of anyone in particular here that may be wasting his or her time on continuing to wrestle? 

Bill Zadick worked a long time to beat Cary Kolat but never did on the senior circuit.  Cary's gumby knee was just too much for him.  But later, Bill won the World Championship.  Steel sharpened steel it would appear.  Using the argument that started this, Bill would have done better to quit.  However, he is a World Champion Wrestler and the National Coach.  His body is not in the same wrestling shape anymore, but his mind certainly is as witnessed by our Olympic performance.  Granted he may be an outlier, but chasing your dream causes sacrifices to be made.  Bill won that bet.  Not everyone does.   Financial benefit is not the end all be all.  There are other rewards for hard work, many of them intangible. 

mspart

Another example is Tyler Graff.  They said he would never break through, but at age 30, he made a World Team, won 3 matches at World's, and gave the eventual World champion his closest match of the tournament.  

37 minutes ago, NJDan said:

BTW, do we know that none of the aging guys also work? I could see someone is a responsible job that is basically 9-5 being able to still train and compete. Am I being unrealistic?

i was wondering the same thing before I started thinking about the flying squirrel people! 

39 minutes ago, NJDan said:

BTW, do we know that none of the aging guys also work? I could see someone is a responsible job that is basically 9-5 being able to still train and compete. Am I being unrealistic?

Depends what it is. If its a heavy manual labour job or something mentally exhausting  then it will def hurt your performance. If its a very easy job or a fake  do nothing job thing then sure.  Its just about time management  then.  There are tennis players that I've heard of who "coach" and get a full time salary while traveling the world and playing futures.  I've heard  even full time wrestlers don't train more than 3 hours a day and maybe 1 hr for gym/cardio. So if you can find time. 

21 hours ago, nom said:

Save $5k year at end of year 1. Increase amount you save by 2% each year.

For simple math, assume compound annual growth of 5%.  

Resulting savings after 25 years = $291k

at 30 years = $418k

at 35 years = $586k

at 40 years = $805k

This ignores employer match.  Let’s say employer kicks in an extra $2k per year (flat, no increase each year) through a matching program …

25 yr =$386k

30 yr = $551k

35 yr = $766k

40 yr = $1.05M

Having 5-10 extra years to earn and save can make a huge difference.

Did you follow your own math?  Obviously no one started wrestling to get rich.

22 hours ago, Gantry said:

Folks, said OP is a known troll who constantly posts negativity and starts topic to stir up animosity.  Please put him or her on ignore and don't give them the satisfaction that they clearly are craving. 

No doubt this post has garnered some serious discussion. Not bad for a TROLL!  lol

2 minutes ago, Alwayswrestling said:

Did you follow your own math?  Obviously no one started wrestling to get rich.

Huh?  Are you asking if I have save and invest regularly and am on the path to benefit from that?  Yes.  I learned the power of compounding in high school.  

And what does the last part of your note have to do with anything?  You need to take the steps needed to provide financial security for yourself (and - for some - for loved ones).  Whether you wrestled or not.

18 hours ago, NJDan said:

Megaludis did that his last couple years of competing.... Had a day job in finance.

On 9/10/2021 at 2:38 AM, gowrestle said:

There are some great former college wrestlers who won numerous NCAA NC’s that have not been successful at the next level but are still hanging on. Putting your post wrestling career on hold and abusing your body when the return is minimal doesn’t make sense.  Once I learned that I wasn’t going anywhere after my college days, I unceremoniously hung up my shoes. 

Why do some guys hang on too long?

I think your premise is off just a little.  You're viewing these guys through your own prism--and from that point of view, of course they should hang it up, enter the work force, save for retirement.  Most of us here already made that decision a long time ago. 

Let's be real though... a lot of these guys are just wrestlers.  That's all they're ever going to be.  They don't know anything else, and they don't really care to.  When they're forced to hang it up, wrestling isn't over, they just start coaching it.  

It's like me trying to convince my cousins from bumf!@k USA that they should put forth effort in school so that they can go to college and get out of there.  It just doesn't compute.

2 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

It's like me trying to convince my cousins from bumf!@k USA that they should put forth effort in school so that they can go to college and get out of there.  It just doesn't compute.

Excellent point.