BigTimeFan

Some great consi matches at 79kg

Last night:

Starocci looked great, 7-0 vs Marstellar. Great offense. Chance threw the kitchen sink at Carter and couldn’t get through. Starocci then took it to Wick 8-4. He would have faced IMar but he forfeited. 

On the other side of the consis Nolf will wrestle Hidlay today. Can’t wait to see that one. The winner will wrestle Starocci for third place. 

1 minute ago, NJDan said:

I know they always do it, but are consis a little odd in a tournament whose only purpose is to choose one guy for another tournament?

With injuries and covid craziness I definitely think at least two backups are necessary.

3 minutes ago, JBluegill133 said:

Doesn't top 3 placement mean you make the national team or is that the US Open?

Hmmm. I don't know. But what does making the national team mean if you are not wrestling for the team? Is there money?

22 hours ago, NJDan said:
Hmmm. I don't know. But what does making the national team mean if you are not wrestling for the team? Is there money?

Yes, top three are named to the national team. That makes funding available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by lu_alum

2 hours ago, JBluegill133 said:

Doesn't top 3 placement mean you make the national team or is that the US Open?

Top 3 at OTT meant you made the national team. I am wondering if those three get quickly replaced with the top 3 at WTT, or if the OTT 3 get to keep their spot for something more than a few months. I think someone asked that question elsewhere, but I do not recall any answer.

Edit: probably should have read the prior reponse first.

Edited by Wrestleknownothing

14 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Stipend, training/coaching opportunities, and the chance to represent the USA situation dependent.

Looks great on the resume later on as well. 2x world team member Nathan Tomasello sounds a heck of a lot better to an AD and recruits than 1x NCAA champ

12 minutes ago, BigTimeFan said:

Starocci shocks the world and takes out Nolf. Or at least the part of the world three feet to the left and right of me. 

Man he looked good. He looked good in his other consi matches. Yet he lost to Lujan. Consis have their limitations. 

Nolf is very small for the weight, isn't he?

1 hour ago, BigTimeFan said:

I think that’s right. Nolf was 157 in college and wrestled 74kg in the Oly trials. Carter was 174 last year by contrast. 

Doesn't matter, it's a shocker. Nolf should be schooling Starocci at this stage in his career with a full year and a half to get big for 74 kg. I really thought Nolf would be a major factor but his career is starting to look more like Zain's except he may never make a team. Starocci should be pumped over that win. It's huge for an incoming sophomore.

Nolf was always an enigma. Could be a multi time world champ or never make a world team. Looks like the latter, that’s the trade off for ultimate folk style supremacy and I don’t say that as a slight in the least.

Nolf was always an enigma. Could be a multi time world champ or never make a world team. Looks like the latter, that’s the trade off for ultimate folk style supremacy and I don’t say that as a slight in the least.
Nolf is a folkstyler who was never in consideration to be multi time world champion.

He reminds me of Ed Ruth. Almost unbeatable in folkstyle, but certainly well behind the learning curve in senior men's freestyle.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

30 minutes ago, cjc007 said:

Nolf is a folkstyler who was never in consideration to be multi time world champion.

He reminds me of Ed Ruth. Almost unbeatable in folkstyle, but certainly well behind the learning curve in senior men's freestyle.

Sounds like Joe Williams another 3xer. If Nolf took the leap would anyone have been surprised? Nope.

12 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Top 3 at OTT meant you made the national team. I am wondering if those three get quickly replaced with the top 3 at WTT, or if the OTT 3 get to keep their spot for something more than a few months. I think someone asked that question elsewhere, but I do not recall any answer.

Edit: probably should have read the prior reponse first.

For most weights being contested and this one in particular there are no world team reps based on the OTT so there is no issue for replacement.  74Kg was not contested here and the national team is Dake, Burroughs, Nolf.  86kg was also not contested, and the national team based on the OTT is Taylor, Nickal, Valencia.  79kg is now Burroughs, Ringer, Starocci.  The questions arise at 65kg and 125kg where there were two wrestleoffs this calendar year.  65kg based on the OTT is Oliver, McKenna, Lee and now is Diakomilhalis, McKenna, Henderson.  125kg is Steveson, Gwiz, Parris from the OTT and Gwiz, Parris, Zillmer from this weekend. 

I would hope that all wrestlers in the top 3 at either wrestleoff would at least retain the stipend.  Only three wrestlers are at risk of replacement (Oliver, Lee, and Steveson) and there are three wrestlers on the national team at two different weights (Nato, Burroughs, and Moore) who I doubt get a double stipend so it's not doing this would break the budget.  The same number of wrestlers would be receiving stipends, but maybe at different levels due to different positions on the ladder.

As a matter of practicality the opportunity for international competition might not come up much at these weights either.  At 65kg Diakomihalis will be wrestling a collegiate season and that will cover much of the time between now and the 2022 WTT and the same is true from Steveson at 125kg.  Steveson will have his WWE commitments in additions to his studies and NCAA obligations.

No idea what the actual plan is.

19 hours ago, cjc007 said:

IIRC, Ruth made the national team shortly after college. I dont remember his results internationally, but as we see with Nolf making the national team is no small feat in US FS. 

39 minutes ago, Jim L said:

IIRC, Ruth made the national team shortly after college. I dont remember his results internationally, but as we see with Nolf making the national team is no small feat in US FS. 

Is Nolf on the National Team at 74 kg?  My guess is that he probably is based on his result from OTT and the fact that 74 was not contested this weekend.

6 minutes ago, PAFAN01 said:

If Dake were injured and Burroughs at 79Kg it looks like Nolf would be the rep at 74Kg.

Yes, he was third at 74 kg at OTT.  That puts him on the national team with regards to funding, etc.  Taking fourth this weekend shouldn't spoil that.

On the other hand, JO going up a weight and not placing while Yianny won at 65 kg prob erases JO from the team.

On 9/12/2021 at 6:00 PM, bnwtwg said:

Sounds like Joe Williams another 3xer. If Nolf took the leap would anyone have been surprised? Nope.

Yeah like holy cow, is he really much further behind than Taylor was at this point?  I’d say nearly identical.  Don’t count Nolf out.