nom

Cornell / Spartan - 3 men’s FS world team spots

All NYS guys along with Jesse Porter at 77k in Greco.  Great showing for a state not always in the mix. Lucky to have watched all four throughout their high school years and wish them the best of luck in Oslo!.Along with the entire team of course.

Is this an honest Q?  

Grey has been working very very closely with Yianni for a while.  Also has worked with Kyle.  Both Yianni and Kyle benefited from Koll, I’m sure quite a bit.  Gwiz has been at the RTC for a few months now.  Post Koll.  But I believe you knew all that.  

Guessing there is some negative slight you are intending based on your past posts.

19 minutes ago, nom said:

Is this an honest Q?  

Grey has been working very very closely with Yianni for a while.  Also has worked with Kyle.  Both Yianni and Kyle benefited from Koll, I’m sure quite a bit.  Gwiz has been at the RTC for a few months now.  Post Koll.  But I believe you knew all that.  

Guessing there is some negative slight you are intending based on your past posts.

I love Cornell and I love New York. I assume you are referring to me? There is a "quote" button.

I'm hoping all three bring back the gold.  Just don't act like two and a half months of Mike Grey put them over the top.  (and I am very aware that Grey has been Yianni's coach for many many years... check my posting history)

2 hours ago, AHamilton said:

I love Cornell and I love New York. I assume you are referring to me? There is a "quote" button.

I'm hoping all three bring back the gold.  Just don't act like two and a half months of Mike Grey put them over the top.  (and I am very aware that Grey has been Yianni's coach for many many years... check my posting history)

Nobody is saying this is all Grey, but it’s still impressive nonetheless. Three WT members training out of Ithaca compared to 0 in the entire states of Iowa and Ohio.

Edited by Billyhoyle

25 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Nobody is saying this is all Grey, but it’s still impressive nonetheless. Three WT members training out of Ithaca compared to 1 in the entire state of Iowa, 0 in Columbus, 2 in State College. 

Who is training in Iowa? I think State College has 3.

8 hours ago, AHamilton said:

Reread my initial post and hold back your bias of wanting to disagree and argue.  What about my post is not true?  It is a pretty damn nice first year for a head coach to have.  

You have decided to read into it something that you want, not something that is there, so that you can get across the point you want to make.  Fine.  But I’m not going to give you credit for reading comprehension. 

10 minutes ago, nom said:

Reread my initial post and hold back your bias of wanting to disagree and argue.  What about my post is not true?  It is a pretty damn nice first year for a head coach to have.  

You have decided to read into it something that you want, not something that is there, so that you can get across the point you want to make.  Fine.  But I’m not going to give you credit for reading comprehension. 

Huh?  What is my bias? 

Grey isn't the head coach of Spartan Combat, is he? 

I just felt that CEO Koll probably deserved some credit for the work he had done for decades.  Also, ten weeks does not a year make...

I suppose you feel that I have some sort of bias against Cornell because I am critical of some of their wrestlers.  Apparently I have to beatify everyone in a carnelian and white singlet.

Have you ever listened to sports talk radio?  Fans of sports teams are critical of their coaching and personnel all the time.  People are allowed to have gripes.

I like Vito.  I have pointed out that he has a gas tank that is good for about 4 minutes of hard wrestling... and he lets his weight get high if there are no tournaments on the horizon.  I never even said the two things were at all related.

I love Yianni.  Seems like a great kid.  I have pointed out a lack of solid "go-to" leg attacks against good competitors, a lack of head hands defense, and some uneven results over the past couple of years.  It looks as if he has improved all of those things since OTT.  Bravo!

The change in scenery seems to have worked well for Gwiz, as he probably showed the most improvement.  He seems to have been around forever, but he's still got some years in him.

Cornell is probably my second favorite team at the moment, but I call them as I see them.

All understood.  If your post was written  more like ‘Yea, good start. A ton of credit is due to Koll and the crew (e.g., Dean) before Grey became HC’ who could debate?  Instead your dialogue started with a ridiculous passive aggressive question and then you attributed meaning to my writing that was not there.

This is an amazing first year as head coach, so far.  3 on the world team.  His experiences with world team training will be even better for Grey.  Such a tremendous learning opportunity at a young age.  The adjustments he has worked on with Yianni appear to be working.  Bringing Gwiz in is now going to be seen as an even bigger victory for Spartan and Cornell.   These results are going to help him in his fundraising and networking with alumni.  And recruiting.  This first year is damn nice … so far.

Interesting Yianni interview. Around 1:12 he mentions that he's doing some functional patterns work. And then around 2:25 he gets asked about his coaching change...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY97Lg0tmlU

attempt to put a time stamp in ->  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY97Lg0tmlU&t=145

1 hour ago, LU in the Hub said:

Interesting Yianni interview. Around 1:12 he mentions that he's doing some functional patterns work. And then around 2:25 he gets asked about his coaching change...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY97Lg0tmlU

attempt to put a time stamp in ->  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY97Lg0tmlU&t=145

Closet FP'er. Doesn't want to be associated with the solar callus talk. Very smart.

1 hour ago, DanGerMan said:

I thought Frank Pirelli was the Spartan RTC head coach. Did I miss something?

No.  Frank Perrelli is.  Wise guy questions deserve wise guy answers.  

It takes a village.  In the interviews posted above (thanks @LU in the Hub), very excited to hear how happy Yianni is with the coaching staff Coach Grey has assembled.  Feeling it is a big upgrade.  Damn impressive.