Perry

Starocci

Just had a great tournament at WTT with wins over marsteller, wick and even Jason nolf to make the national team. How do you all think he finishes this season? Can he repeat and keep kemmerer from being a national champ? 

Can a RS FR who won NCAAs last year, wrestling for 174 U, who gave up four TDs last year, and has been training with multiple Olympic medalists and the current 184lb champ, all summer, win again?

Yes, I do believe he can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nolf was trying, hard.  I tend to discount backside matches at these things nonetheless.  Lots of weirdness seems to happen that doesn’t happen as much on the front side.  Either way, Star looked like the better wrestler. Going to be a force this coming season.

8 hours ago, Fishbane said:

174 will be tougher for Kemerer and everyone else this year.  Top finishers from last year Starocci, Kemerer, and Labriola are back.  Mekhi Lewis and Hayden Hidlay are moving up.  Is Shane Griffith moving up too? 

Also Massa, if back.  The only one of those gents he isn't in the match for is Labs.  Just... a bad bad matchup for him.

8 hours ago, Fishbane said:

174 will be tougher for Kemerer and everyone else this year.  Top finishers from last year Starocci, Kemerer, and Labriola are back.  Mekhi Lewis and Hayden Hidlay are moving up.  Is Shane Griffith moving up too? 

I don't think that's known yet, Griffith is listed at 165 on the official 2022 roster but they also don't have *anyone* on the roster at 174 so make of that what you will.

Shane said on Baschamania he was set on going 174 after NCAA's because he got to 180. He then dropped back down to 175 and can't put on weight so he's not sure anymore. I'd guess he's 165 at this point. 

As for Starocci, yeah I think he should have a chance to win. 

A good wrestler is going to finish 4th or 5th at 174 in March 2022. Kemerer catches a timely case of "grampa"itis is my guess. 

Starocci is improving all the time. Just taking him down next year will become a monumental achievement for someone/anyone. 

Edited by TBar1977

I wouldn't take too much from a run in the loser's bracket at WTT's.  That isn't to say that Starocci isn't the favorite at NCAA's, but Jayson Ness beat Brent Metcalf in wrestleback before.  

To many wrestlers, Ricky Bobby said it best, "If you ain't first, you're last!"

Edited by MSU158

23 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

I wouldn't take too much from a run in the loser's bracket at WTT's.  That isn't to say that Starocci isn't the favorite at NCAA's, but Jayson Ness beat Brent Metcalf in wrestleback before.  

To many wrestlers, Ricky Bobby said it best, "If you ain't first, you're last!"

Those wrestlers must be high on peyote

4 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

I wasn't a big believer in the repeat, now I'm thinking undefeated season, that dude looks phenomenal.

But, did you think that after the loss to Lujan?  Look, he is the favorite to win NCAA's.  But, how he performed AFTER losing, in a different wrestling style, shouldn't be the end all, be all.

8 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

So he doesn't stand a farts chance in a $HlT storm at winning NCAAs then?

The answer should be:  He stands the same chance anyone thought he did after winning NCAA's last season.  NOTHING that happened at WTT's should influence that in EITHER direction!

But, did you think that after the loss to Lujan?  Look, he is the favorite to win NCAA's.  But, how he performed AFTER losing, in a different wrestling style, shouldn't be the end all, be all.
I didn't think he would repeat because I didn't like his defensive style.
Not full on Jason Tshirts but close enough :) (ok not that bad)
But this weekend he showed he could go out and get takedowns from his own offense on top level guys. That performance had to give him tremendous confidence.
I just can't see him taking a step back, and what has he lost over the last 2 seasons ? 2 matches....

I get what you're saying but I'm superimpressed by his win over Nolf. I'm sure Nolf was mailing it in after losing to JB and all that, but that was a significant win in my book. Nolf must work out with him constantly in the room and is the guy at 74/79 for NLWC. Out of big bro pride alone, I don't see him not caring at all. That reshot to score on Nolf was damn impressive.

Freestyle wrestlebacks is interesting. Say what you want about it but I feel once you step on the mat and the competitive juices flow, it's still balls to the wall. It's still top opponent vs top opponent, it's still scored and the score will be recorded no? 

4 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Also Massa, if back.  The only one of those gents he isn't in the match for is Labs.  Just... a bad bad matchup for him.

I don't really see Massa as a title contender at this weight.  He is a tough matchup for all the title contenders and could knock one off at NCAAs, but he hasn't shown the consistency to beat 2 or 3 of them in the same tournament which he will probably need to as a 5-8 seed.  He hasn't shown that kind of consistency in folkstyle since his freshman year.

52 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

So he doesn't stand a farts chance in a $HlT storm at winning NCAAs then?

No, I would say he's the co-favorite with Kemerer, depending on who is the weight of course.  If Lewis, especially, is up there, I would reconsider.  But freestyle wrestlebacks don't enter into the equation for me at all.