nom

All eyes on Burroughs’ calf

4 hours ago, LJB said:

it really doesn't matter who we send...

79 is a weak weight and doesn't count for much as per JB himself just 6 months ago...

Link to the quote?  I'm not saying you're lying or anything, I'm just curious as to what exactly JB said.

I actually agree that 79kg has been weaker than 74kg during the two years those weight classes existed side by side.  That seems like an uncontroversial statement.

As far as the relative strength of those weight classes this time around, we have to see who enters each weight class. 

6 hours ago, MizzouGrad said:

The Twitter account - Profootballdoc - is a former Ortho Surgeon for the San Diego Chargers. He has written quite extensively on calf strains and the biggest problem is that even a mild strain is hard to manage. For someone like Jordan, his explosiveness is what separates him from the rest of the world. I do worry that a calf strain will impact his Achilles and create greater disruption to his lower extremities. Luckily, Alex is a solid fill-in for 79kg. 

profootballdoc is this guy. https://deadspin.com/the-chargers-doctor-is-a-drunk-quack-why-havent-they-466685771

5 hours ago, LJB said:

i disagree with JB ****ting on the weight before he gets dropped like 3rd period french by dake and then coming out and saying how tough the weight is after when it is his only option...

I think the following can all be true:

1. 79 kg is a weak weight internationally and has been the past cycle. It will once again be weak in 2021. 

2. Dake is now better than JB, who has declined.

3.  At no point in his career was Dake as good as JB at his peak.

4. Dake may still prove over the next 4 years that point 3 above is incorrect (and the 2020 olympics were an abberation), but it is unlikely.

55 minutes ago, Katie said:

Link to the quote?  I'm not saying you're lying or anything, I'm just curious as to what exactly JB said.

I actually agree that 79kg has been weaker than 74kg during the two years those weight classes existed side by side.  That seems like an uncontroversial statement.

As far as the relative strength of those weight classes this time around, we have to see who enters each weight class. 

He totally dismissed Dake’s Workd Championship medals because they were at 79kg…

it was a dik move trying to be the cool guy…

now…

he is a 79kg guy because he got ran out of the weight and he talked about how tough the weight is before trials…

you can find it if you are so inclined…

22 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

I think the following can all be true:

1. 79 kg is a weak weight internationally and has been the past cycle. It will once again be weak in 2021. 

2. Dake is now better than JB, who has declined.

3.  At no point in his career was Dake as good as JB at his peak.

4. Dake may still prove over the next 4 years that point 3 above is incorrect (and the 2020 olympics were an abberation), but it is unlikely.

None of that is the point…

2 hours ago, Katie said:

JB won a world title in 2013 with a broken leg.  It's true.

Except one of Burroughs greatest traits is his explosiveness, and his calves play a big part in propelling his body.  Bones don't.  Bones can have pins put in them, muscles can't.  

4 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

Except one of Burroughs greatest traits is his explosiveness, and his calves play a big part in propelling his body.  Bones don't.  Bones can have pins put in them, muscles can't.  

I was making a weak reference to Kurt Angle (I think he says “it’s true”). Agree that we should be concerned about his calf. At his age injuries seem to happen more often and be more difficult to get over. 

28 minutes ago, Katie said:

I was making a weak reference to Kurt Angle (I think he says “it’s true”). Agree that we should be concerned about his calf. At his age injuries seem to happen more often and be more difficult to get over. 

It's true.  However don't forget that Burroughs also has plenty of intensity, integrity, and intelligence!

Considering the fact that Dake ambushed Burroughs with a slew of personal insults and then piled on excuses and whining about rules…  JB stating that a 79kg world title was comparatively weak.. wasn’t really acting cool but responding with facts to the person insulting him and giving excuses when pushed back on. 

Now if Burroughs is lauding 79kg.. that’s a little bit weak. 

That being said, I’m genuinely curious as to how Burroughs stating a fact about the depth of a weight compares to Dake spending 30 minutes of that roughly 45 minute podcast giving excuses and whining about the rules.

2 hours ago, LJB said:

He totally dismissed Dake’s Workd Championship medals because they were at 79kg…

it was a dik move trying to be the cool guy…

now…

he is a 79kg guy because he got ran out of the weight and he talked about how tough the weight is before trials…

you can find it if you are so inclined…

This guy…I found it because I was so inclined. Let’s put JBs comments in context. He was on a show arguing why he would have beaten Dake in college since FRL was trying to determine the top 165 of the last decade or whatever. Askren then, surprisingly to JB, brings Dake on the show to argue his case. Dake immediately starts going low, makes comment of Taylor putting JB on his back and comments like, “he doesn’t want to say he’s gotten worse.”  When the conversation moved to their upcoming match Dake starts going into how JB is getting older and how he knows how it sucks to be injured and he feels sorry for him. Listen to it, you tell me who comes off like the douche. But LJB got butt hurt that JB dared to say that 79kg was weak the last few years in his defense. Oh the horror.  Again actually listen to it, see who goes low first and who sounds like a complete tool. When they surprise JB with Dake coming on he says what’s up Kyle twice to which Kyle finally gives him a charity head nod. It doesn’t take long to figure it out. 

not surprising who is making excuses in this thread for what somebody clearly said...

personal accountability is not important for some...

but, but, but...

dake was being mean!!!!!

adorable...

no matter...

JB said it and then pulled a crawdaddy...

it made me giggle...

just like some of you guys...

21 minutes ago, LJB said:

not surprising who is making excuses in this thread for what somebody clearly said...

but, but, but...

dake was being mean!!!!!

adorable...

no matter...

it made me giggle...

I clearly stated that If he flipped his tune that it’s not a strong look. 

I simply pointed out that while Burroughs made a factual statement. Dake spent a giant portion of that argument making excuses about past results, and whining about the established procedures in place. Which you of course ignored.

If you can factually find a way to say he didn’t and I’m lying. Feel free to do so.

So unless you can present otherwise. We have one dude giving lots of excuses and the other pointing out he wrestled in a weak non Olympic weight. Again, if he’s backtracked, that’s bad for him. But he also never spent 30 minutes whining about rules and offering excuses. 

Im simply curious if excuses are only okay when it’s people you like.. 

1 hour ago, AnklePicker said:

This guy…I found it because I was so inclined. Let’s put JBs comments in context. He was on a show arguing why he would have beaten Dake in college since FRL was trying to determine the top 165 of the last decade or whatever. Askren then, surprisingly to JB, brings Dake on the show to argue his case. Dake immediately starts going low, makes comment of Taylor putting JB on his back and comments like, “he doesn’t want to say he’s gotten worse.”  When the conversation moved to their upcoming match Dake starts going into how JB is getting older and how he knows how it sucks to be injured and he feels sorry for him. Listen to it, you tell me who comes off like the douche. But LJB got butt hurt that JB dared to say that 79kg was weak the last few years in his defense. Oh the horror.  Again actually listen to it, see who goes low first and who sounds like a complete tool. When they surprise JB with Dake coming on he says what’s up Kyle twice to which Kyle finally gives him a charity head nod. It doesn’t take long to figure it out. 

This story does not make Askren look very classy at all.

1 hour ago, AnklePicker said:

That's only half.  Now you have to be inclined enough to find him talking about how tough 79 is now.  That is going to take alot more inclination.

1 hour ago, Plasmodium said:

That's only half.  Now you have to be inclined enough to find him talking about how tough 79 is now.  That is going to take alot more inclination.

I am not sure how tough 79kg will be in Oslo compared to other weights - I have heard that the guy who spanked K Dake in Tokyo will be competing at that weight for whatever that is worth:)

6 hours ago, lu1979 said:

I am not sure how tough 79kg will be in Oslo compared to other weights - I have heard that the guy who spanked K Dake in Tokyo will be competing at that weight for whatever that is worth:)

That would be a huge disappointed.  Who wouldn't want to see the rematch!

10 hours ago, LJB said:

but, but, but...

dake was being mean!!!!!

adorable...

no matter...

it made me giggle...

I assume you also called out Dake for his attitude over the last decade prior to making the team? 

9 hours ago, Katie said:

This story does not make Askren look very classy at all.

It's been a minute but I remember the look on Askren's face as things unfolded, and it seemed like even he had no idea things were going to go that way.  I think Askren or Flo even tried to steer the conversation back to NCAA topic but they were not in control.  I don't think anyone on the show was prepared for it, and no matter how Askren defended it afterward, it wasn't a great look.  

Getting off topic some more, what I have always wondered about was when things got really sour between them.  I know the tension was always there because of how the World Team Trial procedures were, but I thought they were kind of ok going into the 2018 World Championships, taking pictures together as "the old guys" in response to Imar and Zahid, with JB complementing Dake while watching him at the World Cup.  

Edited by misterc

36 minutes ago, misterc said:

It's been a minute but I remember the look on Askren's face as things unfolded, and it seemed like even he had no idea things were going to go that way.  I think Askren or Flo even tried to steer the conversation back to NCAA topic but they were not in control.  I don't think anyone on the show was prepared for it, and no matter how Askren defended it afterward, it wasn't a great look.  

Getting off topic some more, what I have always wondered about was when things got really sour between them.  I know the tension was always there because of how the World Team Trial procedures were, but I thought they were kind of ok going into the 2018 World Championships, taking pictures together as "the old guys" in response to Imar and Zahid, with JB complementing Dake while watching him at the World Cup.  

Wasn't Dake JB's Olympic training partner at one of the Olympiads?

21 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

You should listen/watch it. It wasn’t Askren’s fault. 

Askren can be an instigator, but he doesn’t do it like this. He didn’t expect Dake and JB to go at it like that

It was all Askren, that was exactly what he hoped for when he set Burroughs up.