Billyhoyle

Daton Fix, first since when?

Will you be rooting for Fix at the upcoming Worlds?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be rooting for Fix at the upcoming Worlds?

When was the last time that the U.S. sent a wrestler to worlds or the olympics with a previous failed doping test on his record?  I know Obe blanc failed one, but never made the team again after.  How do you all feel about Fix representing the U.S.? I believe in redemption, and he earned the spot within the rules, but it seems kind of wrong given how short his suspension was. 

6 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

When was the last time that the U.S. sent a wrestler to worlds or the olympics with a previous failed doping test on his record?  I know Obe blanc failed one, but never made the team again after.  How do you all feel about Fix representing the U.S.? I believe in redemption, and he earned the spot within the rules, but it seems kind of wrong given how short his suspension was. 

It is awkward for me, but as you said - he followed the rules.  We are way too easy on PED users.

I mean JO was our Olympic rep...
I feel like it's probably happened quite a bit across freestyle and Greco....
I don't think it really seems wrong, served a suspension, tested clean, won the spot..... You think it should be a lifetime ban?

3 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Did you root for Jordan Oliver to qualify 65KG? If you say yes but vote no to this poll then please share your reasoning.

Honestly, I don't consider amphetamines to be much of a competitive advantage for wrestling.  But you're right that JO was very close to being the answer to the question here if he had qualified, and I understand if many root against him because of it. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

5 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

I mean JO was our Olympic rep...
I feel like it's probably happened quite a bit across freestyle and Greco....
I don't think it really seems wrong, served a suspension, tested clean, won the spot..... You think it should be a lifetime ban?

He did not compete in the Olympics or worlds though.  I'm wondering if anyone has? I think 4 years should be the penalty for a first offense, followed by a lifetime ban for second. 

He did not compete in the Olympics or worlds though.  I'm wondering if anyone has? I think 4 years should be the penalty for a first offense, followed by a lifetime ban for second. 
Damn dude.... That's brutal.
It makes sense though "miss a cycle"....
I don't know how the rules are made or applied. I just wait for athletes to serve their suspensions and then cheer for em.
I don't hold a grudge especially when it comes to putting the best team on the mat.
Don't give moral awards at the world level.

5 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

I don't know how the rules are made or applied. I just wait for athletes to serve their suspensions and then cheer for em.
I don't hold a grudge especially when it comes to putting the best team on the mat.

"Do a cycle, miss a cycle."  Yeah, I totally see your perspective here.  I just really despise doping-I don't even remember seeing much if any mea culpa from him either (or that many articles even covering it). 

"Do a cycle, miss a cycle."  Yeah, I totally see your perspective here.  I just really despise doping-I don't even remember seeing much if any mea culpa from him either (or that many articles even covering it). 
Lol I was about to pass out and my phone vibrated.
Don't dig into it (shakes head while laughing) I hope I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure they tried to say something like,
"honest mistake I accidently drank from my dad's water bottle full of osterine".....
Lol they were wronged by the system damnit!
But no I totally get your view on cheating, I'm definitely more lax.... Do your time and get back out there (has kind of been my approach across all sports) cept for Lance Armstrong, hahaha his whole story for some reason pisses me off....

3 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

Honestly, I don't consider amphetamines to be much of a competitive advantage for wrestling.  But you're right that JO was very close to being the answer to the question here if he had qualified, and I understand if many root against him because of it. 

There's plenty of empirical evidence showing its advantages in strength and endurance sports in the moment over someone not using it. What makes it feel less like cheating is that it's not building your long-term work capacity in some way.

3 hours ago, spladle08 said:

I can't get on board with people feeling like.."take away a year and let's get on with it." There's just way too much research showing the long-lasting impact on ease of regaining and adding muscle from having activated muscle proteins previously during PED dosing. Just ask Justin Gatlin, who almost made the Olympics in the 100m at age 52. I definitely support a full cycle penalty every time.

3 hours ago, maligned said:

There's plenty of empirical evidence showing its advantages in strength and endurance sports in the moment over someone not using it. What makes it feel less like cheating is that it's not building your long-term work capacity in some way.

I can't get on board with people feeling like.."take away a year and let's get on with it." There's just way too much research showing the long-lasting impact on ease of regaining and adding muscle from having activated muscle proteins previously during PED dosing. Just ask Justin Gatlin, who almost made the Olympics in the 100m at age 52. I definitely support a full cycle penalty every time.

I don't know what the penalty "should" be. But I am 100% certain that my opinion and your opinion are irrelevant. The penalty is what it is. If UWW says he can wrestle, he can wrestle. You can cheer for him or  not.

17 hours ago, spladle08 said:

The case appears to have passed scrutiny, and he's apparently performing within the given rules now.

We can argue about whether the rules are fair and whether we'll still cheer for him, but the rules are a given.

I was more torn on the subject of Russia at the Olympics this year. In a case with widespread corruption and zero contrition from the country, they were allowed to compete under the "ROC". If the Russian tone had been anything but combative and deflective, I might have been OK with the non-sanction of shaming the country if it also included competing under a flag that read, "We Cheated in Sochi".

I'm not sure what a more fair sanction would look like in Fix's case. If the polygraph-tested statement is true, then would it be a better precedent to ban an athlete for 4 years because he drank from someone else's water bottle? I gotta think the Russians would be planting phony water bottles everywhere if this were a good solution. 

Eh, I’ve always been neutral about Fix fan wise.

As far as rooting for him at worlds.. He clearly was caught using the exact PED that someone in his position would use and then offered the lamest and cliche excuses to try and cover it up.  That’s what makes it particularly obvious to me. He didn’t pop for a random banned substance. He popped for the exact substance that he would need to most greatly benefit his wrestling and the weight he wrestled. 

If he’s clean and staying clean. Go USA. However, I’ll always have what he did in back of mind 

btw. Amphetamines can help weight cutting immensely. While I know he’s prescribed (insert ADHD amphetamine here) for other reasons. I had several teammates in college who used the extra sweating as a side benefit. 

16 hours ago, maligned said:

Justin Gatlin is 39.

On 9/13/2021 at 1:01 AM, maligned said:

The fact that Justin Gatlin is currently 39 years old, I think your credibility is suspect. Why would you post such a wildly false statement?