lu1979

USA's most experienced and credentialed team ever

The FS team USAW is sending to Oslo is definitely the most experienced and best credentialed team we have ever sent to a World or Olympic competition.  I expect the results will reflect that especially as many of the best wrestlers from other countries are likely to miss this worlds due to it following the Olympics so closely.  Below is our team along with how many World/Olympic teams they have made and what hardware they have bought back so far.  Let's hope they can add a bunch of medals to that already impressive list..

57 kg - T Gilman - 4 teams - 1 Silver & 1 Bronze

61 kg D Fix - 2 teams

65 kg Yianni D - 1st team - our only rookie

70 kg J Green - 5 teams - 1 Silver & 1 Bronze

74 kg K Dake - 4 teams - 2 Gold & 1 Bronze

79 kg JB - 10 teams -  5 Gold & 3 bronze

86 kg D Taylor - 3 teams - 2 Gold

92 kg J Cox - 5 teams - 2 Gold & 2 Bronze

97 kg K Snyder - 7 teams - 3 Gold 2 Silver & 1 Bronze

125 kg N Gwiz - 4 teams - 2 Bronze

This team is amazing. By my calculations, together they have 35 previous senior-level world/olympic appearances. And in those 35 appearances they brought home 30 medals. That means 86% of the time they medaled. That is not just good, it is astounding. As they say in investing, past performance is no guarantee of future success but I feel very, very good about the US chances in Oslo.

Awesome —- thanks for pulling this info together. Multiple threads about how great this team is.  Deservedly so!  

Amazing that we have only one rookie - who is Yianni - and he doesn’t seem like a Rookie. Has been threatening a World Team spot for a bit now. 

So freaking wish Norway was letting Americans in for stuff like this. As it stands, it is a no go.  Would have been an awesome USA cheering section no doubt. 

1 minute ago, nom said:

Awesome —- thanks for pulling this info together. Multiple threads about how great this team is.  Deservedly so!  

Amazing that we have only one rookie - who is Yianni - and he doesn’t seem like a Rookie. Has been threatening a World Team spot for a bit now. 

So freaking wish Norway was letting Americans in for stuff like this. As it stands, it is a no go.  Would have been an awesome USA cheering section no doubt. 

Oh no is this for real?

I have honestly completely forgot about travel restrictions despite me living in Sweden and the fact that we recently closed our borders for Americans after opening them a bit during the summer.

Fantastic team.  Honestly, anything less than 7 medals would be a shocker to me.  I see Dake, Burroughs, Taylor, J'Den, and Snyder as almost complete locks (to medal, not necessarily win) outside of injury, with Green a tick below them.  Then Gilman and Gwiz should be in bronze matches, with both likely favorites.  If one of these guys gets upset or injured, that still leaves us at 7.  Then you have big time Freestyle talents in Yianni and Fix who could medal without shocking anybody.

2 hours ago, wamba said:

Oh no is this for real?

I have honestly completely forgot about travel restrictions despite me living in Sweden and the fact that we recently closed our borders for Americans after opening them a bit during the summer.

Yea.  Norway is restrictive. USA Wrestling has called off any coordination of getting fans there and helping get them tickets

2 hours ago, nom said:

Yea.  Norway is restrictive. USA Wrestling has called off any coordination of getting fans there and helping get them tickets

Damn this sucks. Are there any exemptions for professional athletes? I couldn’t find anything going through the updates travel restrictions - though I did read quite quickly.

Edited by wamba

1 hour ago, wamba said:

Damn this sucks. Are there any exemptions for professional athletes? I couldn’t find anything going through the updates travel restrictions - though I did read quite quickly.

I don’t know how it works for the athletes.  I figure they have a way in of course.  I just know that Joe Blow fans from the USA like myself are persona non grata.