Nicholas Strub

2 of 3 WTT Finals

2 minutes ago, Nicholas Strub said:

How often does the person who loses a match in the WTT Finals but manages to win the series and goes on to medal or win World's? This can apply to the Olympics also. I think Brands and Cross went 3 in '96.

Helen just went 3 last time out... I'm sure it's a large # honestly
Obviously JB has gone 3
Cox has gone 3
"Very Often" seems like the answer to this 

Edited by spladle08

2 minutes ago, mspart said:

Perhaps "not unusual" would be the better answer.

mspart

I would say that the vast majority of 2-of-3 challenges are done in 2, but when it takes 3 it does not imply that the winner is less worthy or unlikely to medal.

2 minutes ago, Nicholas Strub said:

Just figured it'd be a "fun fact of the day" sort of thing. I noticed most weights went 2-0 over the weekend. When a loss does occur it would seem to be to someone who was also a medal or champion caliber wrestler.

I'm not going to look back at this history of "Best of 3" (Mens/Womens FS, in Greco clearly the numbers will really skew one way.) 
But yes, a lot of best of 3's end up being between 2 "Worthy" wrestlers, as @NJDan said. 
I"m now kind of curious, I hope somebody looks into it and gives us the exact number. 
I bet it results in a medal more than 50% of the time, but who knows. 

Yianni is clearly improved, at least to my eye, but it still sometimes takes him a match or two to get in the zone, which smacks of inexperience. I hope he got his bad match out of his system for a while. He's not getting a mulligan at the worlds. The Worlds being just a month away helps.

31 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Yianni is clearly improved, at least to my eye, but it still sometimes takes him a match or two to get in the zone, which smacks of inexperience. I hope he got his bad match out of his system for a while. He's not getting a mulligan at the worlds. The Worlds being just a month away helps.

Agreed. I hope he gets an easy R1 matchup. 

I will say, the field at 65kg is super weak compared to any in the past cycle. Yianni is probably the favorite in every match. 

I will say, the field at 65kg is super weak compared to any in the past cycle. Yianni is probably the favorite in every match. 
Do you already know who is out (besides Rashidov ) ?

34 minutes ago, spladle08 said:
42 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Do you already know who is out (besides Rashidov ) ?

Reportedly Ottoguro Japan, Aliev Azerbijian, Bajrang India, Nyazbekov Kazakhstan, and Musakaev Hungary are not going and Gadhiev Poland (guy who beat JO at Last Chance) will be at 70 kg.  The 65 kg field is seriously watered down.  I do not know if that will change anyone's mind about going.

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/7131568-tokyo-olympians-to-2021-worlds-tracker

Edited by lu1979

Reportedly Ottoguro Japan, Aliev Azerbijian, Bajrang India, Nyazbekov Kazakhstan, and Musakaev Hungary are not going and Gadhiev Poland (guy who beat JO at Last Chance) will be at 70 kg.  The 65 kg field is seriously watered down.  I do not know if that will change anyone's mind about going.
https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/7131568-tokyo-olympians-to-2021-worlds-tracker
Love it. Watered down medals are still medals haha . Good for Yainni.
We may obliterate the field as a whole. Should be a fun watch.

The winner best 2 of 3 part series I ever saw went all 3 matches and the last one was extremely close decided by a throw by Kendal Cross - Cross beat the defending World Champ (Terry Brands) to make the 96 Olympic team and won Gold against the Canadian-Russian Brands beat in the 95 World finals.

That OTT tournament also had a 3 parter between Townsend Saunders and Pat Santoro that was really close - Saunders got a Silver that year in Atlanta.

Edited by lu1979