NJDan

Why is anyone skipping the Worlds?

I know Gable's reason-- he is fearful of tarnishing his gold before he cashes in. But why would anyone who is still wrestling not go to the Worlds? I mean, is it really that hard to wrestle two tournaments in three months. Is a world championship medal not worth pursuing even if you have a few already?

21 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

Since Gable is in college still he also can only collect on the Living the Dream fund once this year. 

I bet if someone paid him $50k to appear he would have though.

Where did this info originate?

3 hours ago, wrestlingphish said:

Since Gable is in college still he also can only collect on the Living the Dream fund once this year. 

I bet if someone paid him $50k to appear he would have though.

3 hours ago, AHamilton said:

I don't know for sure but after this popped up someone (Willy? JBryant?) said that only applied to foreign students.

Two main reasons. 

1. Medaling at the olympics has so much financial and career implications that a lot of wrestlers are so happy/ depressed afterwards that they really don't care, let themselves go, and have no interest in attending because the medaling at worlds doesn't impact their lives nearly as much. 

2. Some programs feel like its a good time to assess the depth of their teams and give their backups a chance. Or if they are a really good wrestling country give the others some limelight.  The olympics are such a huge deal and if you have a deep country with a stud nr 2, giving him these worlds as a thank you sounds fair to a lot of these federations given they  just missed the olympics.  

Unless you are chasing records, winning one more world doesn't matter that much in the grand scheme of things. Sad and Evloev are and thats why I think they are going. Sidakov is young, feels he has time, and probably isn't aiming for records so he didn't go. 

Edited by HawkY

4 hours ago, NJDan said:

I know Gable's reason-- he is fearful of tarnishing his gold before he cashes in. But why would anyone who is still wrestling not go to the Worlds? I mean, is it really that hard to wrestle two tournaments in three months. Is a world championship medal not worth pursuing even if you have a few already?

You don't know. And neither do I.

But if I had to hazard a guess, it would be a different answer for every wrestler. Again, none of which any of us know.

7 hours ago, AHamilton said:

4 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

I don't know for sure but after this popped up someone (Willy? JBryant?) said that only applied to foreign students.

Looks like there was some confusion around whether or not the Living the Dream fund fell under Operation Gold Grant but apparently I was incorrect and it would not apply even if it was. I don't think I ever revisited the thread after seeing the initial post but there is a good explanation in the posts on this page http://board.themat.com/index.php?/topic/27715-gable-steveson-not-going-to-worlds/page/7/&tab=comments#comment-606585

7 hours ago, LJB said:

one jackass said it on the internet and it just gets parroted by more jackasses until it is considered gospel...

just a guess...

This happens all the time on these forums. You see it with greco supporters a lot trying to convince everyone that their style is the superior style of wrestling. 

14 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

Looks like there was some confusion around whether or not the Living the Dream fund fell under Operation Gold Grant but apparently I was incorrect and it would not apply even if it was. I don't think I ever revisited the thread after seeing the initial post but there is a good explanation in the posts on this page http://board.themat.com/index.php?/topic/27715-gable-steveson-not-going-to-worlds/page/7/&tab=comments#comment-606585

Thanks for finding that.  I believe I saw it before at the source was Mineo.  At the time, someone said that he was wrong, but I hadn't seen anything since.

But once somebody says something it becomes gospel truth.  Thanks for doing the research and coming back with a good answer.

The year following the olympiad is usually a little hollowed out - wrestlers reassess their careers. 

What's unusual this year is that the 'year after' is only two months removed.

There was a thread a few weeks ago about whether this World Championships would have an asterisk (or something to that affect). I think it's too soon to tell. 2020-21 has been unusual for most. Some are hungrier. Some are more tired. Some went home to more resources. Some didn't.