flyingcement

NIL Issues in Happy Valley?

9 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

Have you considered that they aren't a small number and that in fact you're the one in the minority? Corporations aren't in the business of throwing away money. If they do something, it's because they think it will help them make more money.

A pack of vulture like virtue signallers is perverting our national conscience. This country used to be about substance, not style points. But this is what we have basically become these days.

‘The Activist’ Reality TV Series Sparks Backlash: “Worst Idea Ever” (msn.com)

7 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

A pack of vulture like virtue signallers is perverting our national conscience. This country used to be about substance, not style points. But this is what we have basically become these days.

Lmao I saw an ad for this show and it looks demonic.

But the "pack of virtue signalers" are signaling to an existing audience. They're just doing it ham-handedly. It's also probably a generational thing. You might not have a lot of friends who believe in social justice issues because you're older, but a huge majority of people under 40 do. Most of us (at least that I know) roll our eyes at corporations virtue signaling because we see it for what it is (and also know that all of their actual political money is still going to politicians that oppose a lot of these issues), but it doesn't change the fact that they want our money and are trying to figure out how to best market to us. Just like other corporations use American flag/troop and/or blue collar imagery to market to more conservative audiences. It's not any different. You just think one thing is cooler than the other.

1 hour ago, headshuck said:

Could NLWC start a clothing brand and award PSU wrestlers $10k worth of cash and merchandise for their name on the merchandise?

PSU (and every sports school) does that already by selling team apparel. It's just that the team members get nothing from it.

10 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

He retweeted a guy saying we should nuke Kabul. Incinerating hundreds of thousands of civilians is a tad controversial imo.

Why would anyone suggest that?  Isn't a big part of the problem that many of our citizens were left behind and are now are trapped in Kabul?

On 9/14/2021 at 8:27 PM, portajohn said:

A) Pat Mineo is an idiot B) College Wrestlers are not getting 6 figure NIL deals (may Gable) c) PSU wrestling is fine

Well to be fair, it looks like Mineo got it from BWI who got it from 247.  Now to themat we’re on 4th-hand info here

On 9/14/2021 at 2:18 PM, uncle bernard said:

But the "pack of virtue signalers" are signaling to an existing audience. They're just doing it ham-handedly. It's also probably a generational thing. You might not have a lot of friends who believe in social justice issues because you're older, but a huge majority of people under 40 do. Most of us (at least that I know) roll our eyes at corporations virtue signaling because we see it for what it is (and also know that all of their actual political money is still going to politicians that oppose a lot of these issues), but it doesn't change the fact that they want our money and are trying to figure out how to best market to us. Just like other corporations use American flag/troop and/or blue collar imagery to market to more conservative audiences. It's not any different. You just think one thing is cooler than the other.

Agree with this...because the inverse is true as well...all those marketing to the liberal audience think that is cooler than the other.  The problem I have is when one of the other side thinks there isn't another way to think and tries to force their views on others by using emotional tactics versus facts and logic.  I'll let the arguing commence on who believes which side is which...LOL!

On 9/14/2021 at 2:22 PM, TBar1977 said:

A small number of rabble rousers is not "the market". 

either businesses respond to incentives or they don't. it isn't "the market" when they respond to you and "wokeness run amuck" when it responds to not-you.

12 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Minnow stirring the pot now?  Never.

LOL head over to his facebook group, he has like an unreasonably weird cult following. Like his word is absolute gold, and if you challenge it, you have a heard of Mineo sheep going to his defense. 

39 minutes ago, ugarte said:

either businesses respond to incentives or they don't. it isn't "the market" when they respond to you and "wokeness run amuck" when it responds to not-you.

There is a big difference between what you call "responding to incentives" and what I call "bowing to pressure". 

On 9/14/2021 at 11:41 PM, lu1979 said:

Why would anyone suggest that?  Isn't a big part of the problem that many of our citizens were left behind and are now are trapped in Kabul?

Because for a lot of people, whether consciously or unconsciously, the problem with leaving Afghanistan isn't the welfare of Afghanis. It's the humiliation of American defeat and the idea of killing Taliban leaders, whatever the cost, is psychologically satisfying.

Do I think Nick Lee wants to murder civilians? Obviously not. But retweeting it shows bad judgment on social media and that's exactly the kind of thing that would scare away potential NIL suitors. Politics in general probably lowers marketability. Brands don't want the headache.

On 9/14/2021 at 3:02 PM, TBar1977 said:

Just replying to say I just saw that this show has already been cancelled lmao. It's being "reworked from scratch." Nobody wants that garbage. 

Just because these corps have the data showing what people believe and are interested in doesn't mean they have any idea how to produce anything that would appeal to it. 

2 hours ago, snapspinscore said:

LOL head over to his facebook group, he has like an unreasonably weird cult following. Like his word is absolute gold, and if you challenge it, you have a heard of Mineo sheep going to his defense. 

I am just happy the daily 'Spey is spying on us' threads are gone.  Spey may be one of my least favorite of the Flonies, but I thoroughly enjoy so much of what he and all the crew do.

It's like saying one of the 6-8th gents in any B1G weight class are lame... yet they still qualify for NCAAs and wreck fools.

I also am loving what Willy is building up over om his end, too.  They will be right there with Flo very soon.

I go to Minnows group when I need a laugh.  There are so many people who just... they don't get it and at this point even the Wrestlers Only group is more informative.

That said, he cannot control the sheep.  I have seen him tell some toons to calm their crapstorms because they just don't get it and while their member numbers have swelled there he has mellowed out quite a bit.  You can tell he is taking his shot at influencing more serious than anyone else on these forums.  If he is serious about it as a path, he needs to either get serious help there (Jeffey Dee is good but he is one person) or take a different path.  A facebook group is great, but there is too much chaos and not enough control there.  It was honestly more enjoyable when he was fanboying over the Jersey gents because even with the bias it was much more focused.

I just like calling him Minnow because I have called him Minnow ever since we used to bicker on the MMA facebook pages like... 10 years ago.  He used to LOVE it.  It makes me smile on the inside.

3 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

So closer to the source than normal?

Willie is also in that thread who is the closest contact to PSU wrestling.  His exact statement on that particular rumor,  "y'all getting your panties in a bunch about nothing"

On 9/14/2021 at 2:22 PM, TBar1977 said:

A small number of rabble rousers is not "the market". 

Surely you see the engagements brought on by controversial social media posts vs straight forward factual social media posts. The SM engagements is what is deciding the dollars.   They (corporations) don’t care about the authors opinion. (Unless it goes way out of bounds)

Edited by Lurker

On 9/14/2021 at 3:18 PM, uncle bernard said:

This is incredibly accurate.

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Surely you see the engagements brought on by controversial social media posts vs straight forward factual social media posts. The SM engagements is what is deciding the dollars.   They (corporations) don’t care about the authors opinion. (Unless it goes way out of bounds)

This is a great point. Editorial content is edging conventional reporting out of traditional media. Content is chosen based on what gets the most clicks and that includes hate clicks. Headlines are written specifically to make you mad so you click on the article. TV segments are structured to produce 20-30 second clips of pundits spitting out cliche's and/or provocations so that they can be posted on twitter/facebook to get people to click on it. Even our new movies and tv shows are written with "memeability" in mind. Cheesy catchphrases and lines that don't make a good movie, but make a good screenshot to be shared on facebook. There's a reason why most new content is so formulaic.